Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Quick question: I'm gonna move the laptop frequently between 2 locations. One of these locations, where I study, has this desk, which I adored for desktop usage, but I've now realised that it's completely dumb for laptop usage:

Basically, as amazing as it is for a desktop, a laptop is a pain in the ass to use on it because if you open it up, the back of the screen hits the "second floor" of the desk. Meaning I have to put the laptop in a way that basically makes the corner poke out of the desk, and if I accidentally apply too much pressure with my left arm I can make it fall (I've been testing it with an old laptop I have lying around). I really, REALLY don't want to use my 1800€ laptop in a way that can make it fall because of me accidentaly applying too much pressure with my arm while playing a shooter or something.

So basically when I'm there I'll be using the laptop connected to the external 144 Hz monitor via a miniDP to DP cable, with the lid closed and an external keyboard, which is a shame since the laptop I'm getting has a 240 Hz screen but oh well. But here's the thing: The monitor has FreeSync. The laptop doesn't have Gsync. The question is: Is it possible to enable FreeSync on a Nvidia laptop when connected to an external display via miniDP? Or is that desktop only? If I can at least enable FreeSync that would make up for the 240 Hz -> 144 Hz downgrade

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: I'm gonna move the laptop frequently between 2 locations. One of these locations, where I study, has this desk, which I adored for desktop usage, but I've now realised that it's completely dumb for laptop usage:

Basically, as amazing as it is for a desktop, a laptop is a pain in the ass to use on it because if you open it up, the back of the screen hits the "second floor" of the desk. Meaning I have to put the laptop in a way that basically makes the corner poke out of the desk, and if I accidentally apply too much pressure with my left arm I can make it fall (I've been testing it with an old laptop I have lying around). I really, REALLY don't want to use my 1800€ laptop in a way that can make it fall because of me accidentaly applying too much pressure with my arm while playing a shooter or something.

So basically when I'm there I'll be using the laptop connected to the external 144 Hz monitor via a miniDP to DP cable, with the lid closed and an external keyboard, which is a shame since the laptop I'm getting has a 240 Hz screen but oh well. But here's the thing: The monitor has FreeSync. The laptop doesn't have Gsync. The question is: Is it possible to enable FreeSync on a Nvidia laptop when connected to an external display via miniDP? Or is that desktop only? If I can at least enable FreeSync that would make up for the 240 Hz -> 144 Hz downgrade
Yes.

See about buying a laptop cooler too.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Can you recommend me one? I've seen some that come with a USB A to USB A cable, that seems insane and dangerous to me, so these are out
A to A? that is weird. Most i've seen are A to mini B.

Uh, I just buy Coolermaster ones. They work fine. It's a matter of taste tbh, so if you can swing by a store that has some, just pick one.

One bigger fan > two smaller fans.

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
A to A? that is weird. Most i've seen are A to mini B.

Uh, I just buy Coolermaster ones. They work fine. It's a matter of taste tbh, so if you can swing by a store that has some, just pick one.

One bigger fan > two smaller fans.
Thanks I'll probably just get some random one from a local store then. Or maybe I'll add a cooler to the cart together with the laptop.

I should get the money this coming week btw. If everything goes to plan I will have my GE65 Raider 9SF-292XES the week after that :) (pccomponentes ships every order to the canary islands on Thursday by boat and it gets delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday of the next week, so as long as I can order it before Thursday I'm fine. Fingers crossed! I want my laptop already)

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Is anyone able to help me? I've been looking for a new laptop for awhile and seen one that's tickled my pickle.

ASUS TUF FX505DV 15.6" FHD 120Hz Thin Bezel Gaming Laptop (AMD R7-3750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, 512GB PCI-e SSD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SZ1DRSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PyM2Db9VGMMQQ

ASUS TUF FX505DV, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB RAM etc.

The only worry I have is the 512GB PCI-e SSD. I would love to attach my 2.5 4TB interal drice from my old laptop that just has like movies and music and some of my steam library that would take up too much space on my local drive.

Soo looking at the questions I can put this in people are saying the 2.5inch slot is being used by the interal storage. Hard to tell with the different models under the same page but there wouldn't be a case that the laptop either has the 2.5 slot being either blocked or used by a PCI-e storage or it doesn't have 2.5 sata slot at all?

It's a bit new to me to be honest and googles not helping. What I want to know is if the PCI-e 512GB SSD connects to the m.2 NVME slot or will it connect to the SATA slot? If I bought this laptop would the 2.5 inch bay be empty?

When I look online everyone is talking about NVME and m.2 bays but never PCI-e in relation to laptops. The videos I've hook up have drives installed in that bay.

janoGX

Nov 29, 2017
Chile
How much of an upgrade in performance will a laptop RTX 2070 (non-max Q) be vs my current desktop 1070? Raytracing aside.
I mean, the 1660ti Max-Q on my laptop is better than the 1070 afaik.

Even if you get lower clock speeds on the Laptop 2070, it's just better in anything else, better bandwidth, it's GDDR6 vs 1070's GDDR5. And in every test it averages 10-20% better than the 1070.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Nice, so if the voltage offset was set at a positive level the CPU would ignore that instruction? I can use Throttlestop without fear then.
Correct, in laptops you have to have an unlocked 'K' processor to mess with raising voltage or multipliers.

Is anyone able to help me? I've been looking for a new laptop for awhile and seen one that's tickled my pickle.

ASUS TUF FX505DV 15.6" FHD 120Hz Thin Bezel Gaming Laptop (AMD R7-3750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, 512GB PCI-e SSD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SZ1DRSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PyM2Db9VGMMQQ

ASUS TUF FX505DV, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB RAM etc.

The only worry I have is the 512GB PCI-e SSD. I would love to attach my 2.5 4TB interal drice from my old laptop that just has like movies and music and some of my steam library that would take up too much space on my local drive.

Soo looking at the questions I can put this in people are saying the 2.5inch slot is being used by the interal storage. Hard to tell with the different models under the same page but there wouldn't be a case that the laptop either has the 2.5 slot being either blocked or used by a PCI-e storage or it doesn't have 2.5 sata slot at all?

It's a bit new to me to be honest and googles not helping. What I want to know is if the PCI-e 512GB SSD connects to the m.2 NVME slot or will it connect to the SATA slot? If I bought this laptop would the 2.5 inch bay be empty?

When I look online everyone is talking about NVME and m.2 bays but never PCI-e in relation to laptops. The videos I've hook up have drives installed in that bay.
The M.2 slot is not conflicting with the 2.5" SATA bay. The question is whether your 4TB HDD can actually fit in a laptop. What are the dimensions? I don't know of any HDD of that size that can fit in laptop bays.

How much of an upgrade in performance will a laptop RTX 2070 (non-max Q) be vs my current desktop 1070? Raytracing aside.
It's safe to give it 20-25 percent pre-ovevrclocking.

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The M.2 slot is not conflicting with the 2.5" SATA bay. The question is whether your 4TB HDD can actually fit in a laptop. What are the dimensions? I don't know of any HDD of that size that can fit in laptop bays.
Damn thanks for reminding me. For some reason I thought drives bigger the 2TB were available in smaller form factor but my old laptop has a 2TB as the secondary. Cancelled the 4TB order (15mm) for a 2TB SSD that was not that much dearer. Couldn't actually find a manual or spec describing the bay size but the SSD is 7mm so it should be fine.

It was more the PCIe Drive description. Looking it up on google wasn't really telling me it was for the m.2 slot and I was getting results of full sized PCIe cards and was a bit confused by the comments that it took up the sata port I wondered if maybe the sata bay in this laptop doubled as a PCIe slot somehow but I'm pretty confident it's all good.

Roll on Tuesday! Well...working all week so those first days are literally going to be installing and updating and downloading :( at least I know copying across the steam library seems to work well I've did that before. Got my whole 7TB steam install bouncing around on an external drive and was pleasantly suprised by in 2016 how easy it picked up existing files.

Aug 12, 2019
Just saw this thread and figured it was probably one of the best to ask some questions regarding gaming PC/laptops. I've been wanting to get a decent gaming rig for a while (preferably high end that can run things solidly at 1080p 60+ FPS) and I've just been a bit at a loss of how to best do that. I work IT, so I definitely know what kind of specs to look for and how I should approach buying one, but I don't really know the "process of buying" so to speak as I don't really know how to approach getting the best deals and safest tech for such an endeavor.

I've been split between getting a new high end laptop and just building my own for some time. I'm sort of in the post college purgatory where I don't necessarily know where I'll be a year from now or if I might be traveling for work/life opportunities in general later down the line, so I've been more reluctant to build my own gaming PC... That said, I know good gaming laptops are expensive and can't be easily upgraded (and I don't know enough about gaming laptops as long term solutions either), so I've just been sort of sitting idly by and haven't committed to anything yet.

Any suggestions?

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm planning on picking up a laptop for my wife on BF. Mostly she will use it for studying, but we figured that we can add a little more to get some gaming capacity in there.

15 inch and not too heavy are a must.
A Lenovo L340-15IRH Gaming will run me around $700-$750 (This is Swedish prices)
And the specs are:

256GB SSD
8GB RAM, upgradable to 16GB
Intel i5 9300H 2.4ghz / 4.1ghz Turbo
Nvidia GTX 1050, 3GB RAM

Is it strong enough to fork out another ~$200 over:
ASUS X412DA-EK162T
AMD Ryzen 3500U 2.1ghz / 3.7ghz Turbo
8GB RAM, upgradable to 12GB.

Note, we don't have a computer we use at home anymore as we've switched to primarily playing on consoles. But it would be nice to have a computer for some exclusives other than the other functionality that we're getting a laptop for.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Damn thanks for reminding me. For some reason I thought drives bigger the 2TB were available in smaller form factor but my old laptop has a 2TB as the secondary. Cancelled the 4TB order (15mm) for a 2TB SSD that was not that much dearer. Couldn't actually find a manual or spec describing the bay size but the SSD is 7mm so it should be fine.

It was more the PCIe Drive description. Looking it up on google wasn't really telling me it was for the m.2 slot and I was getting results of full sized PCIe cards and was a bit confused by the comments that it took up the sata port I wondered if maybe the sata bay in this laptop doubled as a PCIe slot somehow but I'm pretty confident it's all good.

Roll on Tuesday! Well...working all week so those first days are literally going to be installing and updating and downloading :( at least I know copying across the steam library seems to work well I've did that before. Got my whole 7TB steam install bouncing around on an external drive and was pleasantly suprised by in 2016 how easy it picked up existing files.
Yeah I got my new laptop last Thursday, and just finished moving all of my drives and files over today.

Steam picks up everything well, as long as you establish the new folder, then mover the .acf files over along with the game data.

$1100 to only end up with a GTX 1650? Hell no. That's 1660 Ti territory. There will be ~$900 1660 Ti Black Friday deals.

Just saw this thread and figured it was probably one of the best to ask some questions regarding gaming PC/laptops. I've been wanting to get a decent gaming rig for a while (preferably high end that can run things solidly at 1080p 60+ FPS) and I've just been a bit at a loss of how to best do that. I work IT, so I definitely know what kind of specs to look for and how I should approach buying one, but I don't really know the "process of buying" so to speak as I don't really know how to approach getting the best deals and safest tech for such an endeavor.

I've been split between getting a new high end laptop and just building my own for some time. I'm sort of in the post college purgatory where I don't necessarily know where I'll be a year from now or if I might be traveling for work/life opportunities in general later down the line, so I've been more reluctant to build my own gaming PC... That said, I know good gaming laptops are expensive and can't be easily upgraded (and I don't know enough about gaming laptops as long term solutions either), so I've just been sort of sitting idly by and haven't committed to anything yet.

Any suggestions?
Well I always say the desktop PC is the best move for price/performance, unless you know that you will be on the move and need portability, and you seem to know that already.

If you buy a laptop you are stuck with those specs, so you need to decide if you can be at peace with such a thing. There are tenuous promises of upgradeability with some laptops, like the Alienware 51M and the high-end desktop replacement Clevos, but we won't know until we get there.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm planning on picking up a laptop for my wife on BF. Mostly she will use it for studying, but we figured that we can add a little more to get some gaming capacity in there.

15 inch and not too heavy are a must.
A Lenovo L340-15IRH Gaming will run me around $700-$750 (This is Swedish prices)
And the specs are:

256GB SSD
8GB RAM, upgradable to 16GB
Intel i5 9300H 2.4ghz / 4.1ghz Turbo
Nvidia GTX 1050, 3GB RAM

Is it strong enough to fork out another ~$200 over:
ASUS X412DA-EK162T
AMD Ryzen 3500U 2.1ghz / 3.7ghz Turbo
8GB RAM, upgradable to 12GB.

Note, we don't have a computer we use at home anymore as we've switched to primarily playing on consoles. But it would be nice to have a computer for some exclusives other than the other functionality that we're getting a laptop for.
Well the second laptop doesn't even have a GPU, so I say yes, the Lenovo is worth far more.

If you give me your max budget in you native currency, and links to some of your online stores, I'll take a look around and find you the best deals.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
K.Jack I admit, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to graphics card but your post has made me just take some time to do some research and know what I would be getting into with any purchase I make.

I had no idea that I could shop from Best Buy as an international customer. Thank you so much. I will give it a try with something small for a start but this laptop at that price isn't too bad.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
K.Jack I admit, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to graphics card but your post has made me just take some time to do some research and know what I would be getting into with any purchase I make.

I had no idea that I could shop from Best Buy as an international customer. Thank you so much. I will give it a try with something small for a start but this laptop at that price isn't too bad.
Oh damn, my bad. Best Buy doesn't ship internationally. You can have someone pick it up at the US for you.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Wait, in what country do you reside?

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Oh damn, my bad. Best Buy doesn't ship internationally. You can have someone pick it up at the US for you.

Site says they can deliver to an address in the US, yes? There's a courier that I use in Pennsylvania for my Amazon purchases. They are the ones who ship to me . Thinking that could work here as well.

Wait, in what country do you reside?
Zambia, Africa.

Sep 7, 2018
might cop me a laptop for Black Friday. My current laptop is trash; slow as hell, battery dead, and some a few of my keys don't work.

I need a new one for playing games and for video editing. I don't need the best shit out there but I'm looking for stuff that can at least play Life Is Strange and some indie stuff. What can you recommend?

Oct 27, 2017
might cop me a laptop for Black Friday. My current laptop is trash; slow as hell, battery dead, and some a few of my keys don't work.

I need a new one for playing games and for video editing. I don't need the best shit out there but I'm looking for stuff that can at least play Life Is Strange and some indie stuff. What can you recommend?

What's your budget? I've been in the market for a new laptop myself for gaming and video / photo editing. Found a few good deals already.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
I've been reading the last page or two on laptops and got a semi feel for things but still.

What would be the laptop you would recommend at 1k and 1.5k?

-Screen size doesn't matter, they will be plugged in to a monitor /vr, probably smaller the better.
-Hard drive size doesn't matter since we won't have a million games on it, just needs to be ssd.
-Care more about performance so ram / cpu/ video card matters. Sound not so much.
-Durable, able to handle heat well.

The reason I listed two prices is because it's a couple of us looking for deals, and we each have our budgets that I narrowed down to make things easier.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading the last page or two on laptops and got a semi feel for things but still.

What would be the laptop you would recommend at 1k and 1.5k?

-Screen size doesn't matter, they will be plugged in to a monitor /vr, probably smaller the better.
-Hard drive size doesn't matter since we won't have a million games on it, just needs to be ssd.
-Care more about performance so ram / cpu/ video card matters. Sound not so much.
-Durable, able to handle heat well.

The reason I listed two prices is because it's a couple of us looking for deals, and we each have our budgets that I narrowed down to make things easier.
You're looking for a desktop.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
You're looking for a desktop.
lol I know. At least one will use it for semi work and travel (to partly justify the expense) and for me I'd like to pair it with my oculus quest and be able to play it in different parts of the house or where ever i'm visiting and have it run those games in decent settings.

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
lol I know. At least one will use it for semi work and travel (to partly justify the expense) and for me I'd like to pair it with my oculus quest and be able to play it in different parts of the house or where ever i'm visiting and have it run those games in decent settings.
Don't know if others can chime in but this is one I just bought in the UK. RTX 6GB 2060, 16GB, 512GB ssd and a ryzen 7 3570 for $1188.

The UK page says the display is 120hz too but I can't see that on the US page.

Seemed like a good deal to me anybody else want to shit on it? It arrives today!

Last edited:

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well the second laptop doesn't even have a GPU, so I say yes, the Lenovo is worth far more.

If you give me your max budget in you native currency, and links to some of your online stores, I'll take a look around and find you the best deals.
That is extremely kind of you.
Thankfully Sweden has Price aggregator sites that work very well. In this link

I've filtered by size, under 17. Weight, at most 2.3kgs. Price, under 8500. Dedicated Video card, yes and Ram, at least 8GB.

Not all retailers gave started their BF deals yet though. I know the gaming one I listed earlier because of insider info:p
I know computers in general, but I have been out of the loop when it comes to specific gaming systems, especially laptops, for years.

Edit: the gaming laptop that I mentioned earlier with the i5 and 1050 I will be able to get for 6490 in comparison

Last edited:

ChrisBischoff

Nov 25, 2019
I've got a DELLXPS15. Its mainly a work laptop, but as far as a gaming machine goes there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to run on it.

It does have some issues with Windows compatibility and some of the Dell additions (touch screen gives some weird errors sometimes!), and space can be an issue, but it is quite up gradable, which is strange for a laptop that's already quite a high spec.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a DELLXPS15. Its mainly a work laptop, but as far as a gaming machine goes there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to run on it.

It does have some issues with Windows compatibility and some of the Dell additions (touch screen gives some weird errors sometimes!), and space can be an issue, but it is quite up gradable, which is strange for a laptop that's already quite a high spec.
What are the specs?

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if others can chime in but this is one I just bought in the UK. RTX 6GB 2060, 16GB, 512GB ssd and a ryzen 7 3570 for $1188.

The UK page says the display is 120hz too but I can't see that on the US page.

Seemed like a good deal to me anybody else want to shit on it? It arrives today!
Awesome thanks! Let me know how it performs right away, really curious.

I'll recommend the one you quoted along with with this one
Asus ROG Strix Scar II Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz IPS Type Full HD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe Nvme SSD

Does anyone know if this one is a good laptop? The reviews are mixed. Just looking for 2070 options.

Oct 27, 2017

Asus ROG Strix Scar II Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz IPS Type Full HD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe Nvme SSD

Does anyone know if this one is a good laptop? The reviews are mixed. Just looking for 2070 options.
I've been looking for RTX 2070 laptop options myself. That particular laptop has 1 stick of 16GB DDR4 memory, so you need to add another 16GB to get dual channel going and improve performance.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

There's the Lenovo Y740 w/ 2070, a few people here have them and really like them (mine is coming this week). It also has a 9th gen Intel CPU, and some other interesting things to it, and there's a few 240hz options discussed in the last few pages too.

Oct 27, 2017
There's the Lenovo Y740 w/ 2070, a few people here have them and really like them (mine is coming this week). It also has a 9th gen Intel CPU, and some other interesting things to it, and there's a few 240hz options discussed in the last few pages too.
The 15.6" Y740 with a 2070 is on my top 3 list of most wanted laptop. Was curious about the thermals on it as well as the battery life.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The 15.6" Y740 with a 2070 is on my top 3 list of most wanted laptop. Was curious about the thermals on it as well as the battery life.
Thermals are incredible from what I've read, top of class - like the laptop to beat for cooling performance/design. You can OC the 2070 a decent amount from reddit posts I've read, and the CPU you can undervolt by about .140 or something, to bring temps down.

Battery life sucks. It's like under 2 hours gaming, and probably 4 or so regular use, so if you're going to be using it portably a bunch I don't think you'd like that too much.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What does 4 dedicated mean? I really don't know shit
There are two kinds of RAM in computers. One is what is usually just referred to as RAM. You want this to be 8 or 16 GB.
Then if the computer has a dedicated video card. Not the the type that is built into the processor, that also has it's own set of memory (RAM).
This is usually referred to as dedicated since it is dedicated for the video card to use.

One of the reasons you want a dedicated video card for gaming is that the video cards that comes built into processors, other than being lower performance, also uses your computers standard RAM for handling graphics.
Which means you have less performance for the computer overall.
Also the computers RAM, called DDR4 is slower than video card RAM, called GDDR.

richimus

Nov 17, 2017
Hey Resetera laptop crew. I have a desktop with a i5-4590 CPU 3.30GHz, GTX 1070, and 16 GB of RAM. Was thinking about picking up the MSI GS65 through the Best Buy deal. Not looking to break the bank. Do you think it would be a good get? Any other recommendations? Portability and battery life balanced with performance are what I'm prioritizing, which is why I'm not looking at the Lenovo Y540.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
DELL G3 Core i5 9300H with 1660ti Max-Q and 512gb SSD for $679 a decent deal? Saw reviews of i7 version and it was pretty good at games. Does get hot though. Using a laptop cooling pad with fans dropped the temps 10-15 degrees.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g3-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660ti-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6350872.p?skuId=6350872
Undervolt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2b5M0J8SM

Also, see if you can repaste it.

janoGX

Nov 29, 2017
Chile
DELL G3 Core i5 9300H with 1660ti Max-Q and 512gb SSD for $679 a decent deal? Saw reviews of i7 version and it was pretty good at games. Does get hot though. Using a laptop cooling pad with fans dropped the temps 10-15 degrees.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g3-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660ti-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6350872.p?skuId=6350872
I have it, it's hot, undervolt + cooling pad for best effects. Maybe re-paste.

Also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/cmx7me/g3_3590_undervolts_overclocks_and_screen_upgrades/

Last edited:

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
I did it, I ordered this beast:

Unless there's some kind of delay I should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Can't wait!