Games you remember, names you don't

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
this might be a long shot but here goes, i remember playing a game when i was young and i lost my copy of it during a move and i could never figure out what it was called since, here's the only bits i recall:
  • this was during late 90s, before 2002 for sure
  • it was a pc game, that i remember having on an unlabeled floppy disk (i don't remember how/when i got it exactly, i'd gauge around 1999-2000 but uncertain)
  • it's a platformer where you play as a little green dragon-like thing?
  • i remember a lot of spikes and brick wall tiles of sorts, and that it was pretty difficult (or at least, difficult to a kid)
2D or 3D?
If you had it on a floppy disk it was probably 2D, but if it was late 90s it was probably 3D.

Maybe Croc: Legend of the Gobbos?

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
Coult it be Cool Croc Twins?

Obviously it was "Trogdor". Those weren't spikes, they were consummate V's.

Although I know it isn't, still the first thing that popped into my head.
2D or 3D?
If you had it on a floppy disk it was probably 2D, but if it was late 90s it was probably 3D.

Maybe Croc: Legend of the Gobbos?

not any of those, sorry :( and yeah, i didn't realize i forgot to specify, but it was definitely 2d. i'm honestly wondering if it wasn't made in someone's garage or something

Ashodin

Oct 25, 2017
Burlington, NC
I need help remembering a game (obscure)?

Details:

2D PC Sidescroller/Platformer/Online-Only

Graphics 2D, with customizable character

Sold at Blockbuster for PC

Required Internet to play

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
I have three PC games from my childhood I'd be interested in finding. I don't really know how to track them down, and I'm quite sure they're all pretty obscure. Tried looking for lesser known DOS games and the likes but no luck.

There was a first person point and click adventure in the vein of Myst and the other classics in the 90's on PC. This was on Windows already I think. It was German probably. I played through the demo many times. You had these pretty good looking (for the time) pre-rendered backgrounds which saw you explore a train station at the start of the game, solving puzzles and eventually getting away on the train. I think the next part was either inside the train or inside another building, but I remember it was kinda complex so I would not remember the exact solution even when I solved it - then again it was in a language I wasn't fluent with. Like many games of the era, including dungeon RPGs, it had a large HUD I think with all the important info, the items you own and whatnot. It was most certainly a CD-ROM game already, such graphics were definitely not on floppy.

The second mystery game I am looking for was a Christmas game. It had isometric graphics, I honestly am not sure if it was rudimental 3D or everything was 2D. It was a bit like a 2.5D version of Pac-Man in a sense, with interconnected maze-like levels. It was Christmas-themed as I said, and it was so long ago I can't remember who was the actual main character, but there surely was Santa, there were houses with gifts to deliver too, and there were enemies like a bunny with a boombox roaming the levels, trying to stop you. It was a snowy level that kinda looked like snowy streets in a maze-like structure. This was also on PC, it may have been a DOS game. 90's stuff certainly, graphics were beyond the capabilities of 8-bit or 16-bit consoles I think.

The last game I can't find was a first person game, a Doom clone if you prefer, again on the PC. I think I only had the demo for this one as well. It was not a standard shooter, it had something to do with collecting trash or something, and the first level was in this shipment area of sort. There were monsters roaming around and you had to clean up or something like that? I distinctly remember something about taking out the trash with a lot of bins around. I'm quite certain it was made with a modified version of the Doom engine. It wasn't a Doom mod, it was a standalone game. It was very colourful for sure.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I have three PC games from my childhood I'd be interested in finding. I don't really know how to track them down, and I'm quite sure they're all pretty obscure. Tried looking for lesser known DOS games and the likes but no luck.

There was a first person point and click adventure in the vein of Myst and the other classics in the 90's on PC. This was on Windows already I think. It was German probably. I played through the demo many times. You had these pretty good looking (for the time) pre-rendered backgrounds which saw you explore a train station at the start of the game, solving puzzles and eventually getting away on the train. I think the next part was either inside the train or inside another building, but I remember it was kinda complex so I would not remember the exact solution even when I solved it - then again it was in a language I wasn't fluent with. Like many games of the era, including dungeon RPGs, it had a large HUD I think with all the important info, the items you own and whatnot. It was most certainly a CD-ROM game already, such graphics were definitely not on floppy.

The second mystery game I am looking for was a Christmas game. It had isometric graphics, I honestly am not sure if it was rudimental 3D or everything was 2D. It was a bit like a 2.5D version of Pac-Man in a sense, with interconnected maze-like levels. It was Christmas-themed as I said, and it was so long ago I can't remember who was the actual main character, but there surely was Santa, there were houses with gifts to deliver too, and there were enemies like a bunny with a boombox roaming the levels, trying to stop you. It was a snowy level that kinda looked like snowy streets in a maze-like structure. This was also on PC, it may have been a DOS game. 90's stuff certainly, graphics were beyond the capabilities of 8-bit or 16-bit consoles I think.

The last game I can't find was a first person game, a Doom clone if you prefer, again on the PC. I think I only had the demo for this one as well. It was not a standard shooter, it had something to do with collecting trash or something, and the first level was in this shipment area of sort. There were monsters roaming around and you had to clean up or something like that? I distinctly remember something about taking out the trash with a lot of bins around. I'm quite certain it was made with a modified version of the Doom engine. It wasn't a Doom mod, it was a standalone game. It was very colourful for sure.
First game: Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure (a.k.a. Gadget: Past as Future)

Third game: H.U.R.L (a.k.a. Slob Zone 3D a.k.a. Blob Schlammschlacht 3D)

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Not sure if it's the right place to ask.

Not a game. The old gametrailer website allowed users to upload fan videos and there was one user that use to upload cartoon fan videos of Metal gear Solid. The cartoons were in 3D with square shaped characters featuring Snake. i tried on youtube but can't find them. Is there an archive for gametrailers user videos?

there was also a Modern Warfare 2 music video I really liked from there

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I remember a PS1 game that was Resident Evil style-esque that was on a spaceship or a high tech building of some sort. I don't remember much because I was very young and all I remember is that I felt the ghostly sounds of this game were too much for me and I returned it.

Anyone guess what game that is?

Oct 29, 2017
NL
There is this old point and click adventure on pc I just never can get the name of. You played a dude with a green vest and red brownish hair. It was set during the night and I don't remember if it was on an Island but there was a circus or something I believe. That's all I got.

Frump

Oct 27, 2017
There is this old point and click adventure on pc I just never can get the name of. You played a dude with a green vest and red brownish hair. It was set during the night and I don't remember if it was on an Island but there was a circus or something I believe. That's all I got.
Minus the green vest, it sounds an awful lot like The Secret of Monkey Island. It can't be that easy, right?

Nov 21, 2017
I remember getting a demo / indie game off of a PC Gamer (UK) Magazine DVD sometime around the mid 00's. It was a 2D platformer-type game with simple fight mechanics. The title was something like Pirates vs Ninjas, you could play as either I think? The game itself wasn't special, but it was the first game I ever played on PC.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
First game: Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure (a.k.a. Gadget: Past as Future)

Third game: H.U.R.L (a.k.a. Slob Zone 3D a.k.a. Blob Schlammschlacht 3D)
You sir are fucking amazing. No way I was gonna find those two games with such hazy memories, and you did it without failing. Thank you very much. I'll see if I can find H.U.R.L somewhere, I kinda want to play it now.

Quick EDIT: Already found it as abandonware, works as intended in DOSBox. What a nostalgia trip.

Last edited:

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Alright, I’ve tried looking for this for a long time and all my searches come up empty. This was a game at a place in town called CoSI, essentially a science museum for kids with lots of interactive stuff. There was an area called “Waterworks” with lots of water related exhibits: water physics, info on aquatic life, etc. They had some PCs in this area that were running what I’m pretty sure was a Duke Nukem 3D mod. If it wasn’t a Duke mod it was at least in the Build Engine. In this game you were a scuba diver exploring a water treatment plant, and I’m pretty sure there was like a beach or seaside area as well. I know you were a diver because you could kick, which was Duke Nukem’s kick sprites but drawn over to be wearing scuba flippers. You had a breath meter just like in Duke Nukem and I think you could find scuba gear to breathe longer underwater. You had health and could die from drowning or fall damage but there were no enemies to my knowledge. I think there was green “untreated” water that would hurt you if you touched it? Might be just mixing in memories of Doom there though.

I want to know what this was because there was no explanation in the game or outside of it of what it was, if there was any goal to accomplish, or why it existed at the museum. I was old enough (like fourth grade) to be able to figure out things like that most of the time but this thing remained a mystery. It’s entirely possible this was a custom program somebody made specifically for CoSI and nobody else will ever know what I’m talking about besides my brother. This exhibit doesn’t exist there anymore and a different group owns that building now, though it is still a kids’ science museum in the same style.

norealmx

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is a fairly recent rpg, you can get it on steam. It's a dungeon crawler style game, and has the peculiarity that your character can lose limbs and they need to mend the injury (or is mended as part of gameplay). You fight monsters and for what I remember you are woefully underleveled to take on any of them until you have done some looting. The graphics are "dull" (as in, colorless). I remember it was posted on a discussion here in ERA and the poster describe it as "depressing".

Gundam

Oct 25, 2017
This is one I never played.

A long while ago, my uncle was playing some sort of strategy game on his PC, probably around 2005 or 2006, though he could have been using an emulator:

The game is a grid based top down, maybe turn based strategy game, like a tactical RPG maybe. The main area of play is a green field with grass and trees, etc. The graphics are cartoony, and feature an aproximation of a sort of european warfare style conflict, like the revolutionary war, with red and blue coat outfits. In addition to the cartoony character sprites, there are cannons on the field that also occupy a space. There may have been rivers and wooden bridges on the map.
In terms of graphical fidelity, it reminds me of a sort of Gameboy Advance or SNES style pixel art.

Gundam

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fairly recent rpg, you can get it on steam. It's a dungeon crawler style game, and has the peculiarity that your character can lose limbs and they need to mend the injury (or is mended as part of gameplay). You fight monsters and for what I remember you are woefully underleveled to take on any of them until you have done some looting. The graphics are "dull" (as in, colorless). I remember it was posted on a discussion here in ERA and the poster describe it as "depressing".
Is this Darkest Dungeon?

Gundam

Oct 25, 2017
No, int that one game the characters have more realistic proportions.
Hmm. From some googling the closest thing I can find is Kenshi, but I've never played it and it doesn't seem like a dungeon crawler exactly.

My other guess would have been Below, but it doesn't really fit your description.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a Snowboarding game during the PS2 era. There was a movie called "Superman" where you have to button mash in the correct order to pull off. Also, I believe it had a professional snowboarder's name on the game.

Oct 25, 2017
No need to be snotty about it. You said it had a pros name in it and it's the most likely one given its success.

That aside the only other one I can think of around that time is Shaun Palmer.
I wasn't trying to be snotty about it. If it came off that way then I'm sorry. I'm just very familiar with certain people like Shaun White because I remember playing one of his games on the PS3. There were so many snowboarding games on the PS2 era and I remember renting one from Blockbuster which had a pro's name on it. I looked up Shaun Palmer and I believe this is the one. Thank you.

Most of what I can remember from this game was the music, but not the names. That's what really stuck out to me.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I got a super vague one.

Me and my brother rented this game on the original Xbox. The characters were Scottish, it was a third person shooter and you fought hordes of enemies? I remember the levels were mostly in the snow?

NarcAn

Feb 1, 2019
Let's see if someone else played this:

An android top-down runner game where you're a knight going through a dungeon, avoiding pits and monsters. It has cute 3d graphics, i remember it being kind off... cubic, but it doesn't have Minecraft aesthetic. There was gates to unlock and puzzles to do along the way, if i remember well. There were checkpoints too.

Nov 22, 2019
Allright, this is a long shot, but here goes:

In the 90s, I always played this specific game with my mom, and I have never found the name of the game.

The idea was simple, you had a laser and by putting mirrors and other elements on the 'canvas' you had to direct the laser to a certain (end) point on the map. You had different types of tilted mirrors and other elements to redirect the laser across the screen.

Any help would be super appreciated. I would love to surprise my mom with this oldskool game for good memories :)

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to remember an old NES game. It was a sci-fi side scroller shooter/exploration game. You played as a robot/mech that could turn into a jet. I feel like the setting was either a space station or some big interconnected futuristic base, with teleporters/elevators connecting different areas.

Any ideas what game that might be?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember an old NES game. It was a sci-fi side scroller shooter/exploration game. You played as a robot/mech that could turn into a jet. I feel like the setting was either a space station or some big interconnected futuristic base, with teleporters/elevators connecting different areas.

Thinking guardian legend, but it wasn't a sidescroller in the exploration bits I guess.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Thexder?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My gut's saying no, because that's manipulating mirrors that are in place, not adding them to the scene.

It's not an uncommon puzzle type, which means there's going to be a few games that it could be. One thing that might help - assuming it's not Deflektor, of course! - is to ask whether the beam was limited to just up/down/left/right, or 8-way, or more than that (Deflektor is 16-way IIRC, which is in itself also quite unusual)

I'll run through a list if it's not this, but the first game that springs to mind is Laser Light.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There's a PC game from I'd say the last 4 years, which is a sort of stealth game set in a mansion with robots, and you had to move between floors or something. Like, I think it was inspired or even made by some of the people who worked on either this gens Hitman, or Dishonored.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
An old IBM PC game, may have been on other home computers. A beat-em-up where you're a guy with a panther. The cover had a magnum and said panther on it.

Cantona222

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I played the game sometime in 2003 at a friend's house. It was on OG Xbox. We played 3-player co-op (Same Screen) which makes me believe there is 4-player co-op. It is a brawler with isometric view. The charachters were humans with a modern day setting. I remember there was a playable female character.