Forgotten Sequels to Popular or Iconic Movies

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
i was skimming thru Disney+'s library the other day. Basically all of Disney's output in the 90s could be in this thread. Lion King 2, Jungle Book 2, Cinderella 2, Little Mermaid 2, The Lion King 2, The Lion King 3 (1/3?), Aladdin 2, Aladdin 3, Pocahontas 2, Hunchback 2, Tarzan 2, 101 Dalmations 2, Lady and the Tramp 2... that's just off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure every single disney animated movie got a sequel in the '90s except Black Cauldron. Direct-to-Video and VHS burst open the quality control gates.
Lion King 2 making a half billion on VHS really three open the floodgates.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017

I really enjoyed the first one, but I don't think anyone cared for the sequel. And let's face it, most watched the first one because it was Daniel Radcliffe's first movie after Harry Potter.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The Dirty Dozen also received three made-for-tv sequels in the late eighties. Somehow they are still set during the WW2 even though everyone returning from the first film is like 20 years older.

Michael Caine did also two bad made-for-tv Harry Palmer sequels in the 90's. The original three films (The Ipcress File, Funeral In Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain) were released 1965 - 1967 so it was like if Connery had made a made-for-tv Bond film in the 90's. The 1999 Oscar really did save Caine's career.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just remember one everyone was chasing the giant diamond that was jupitur's core
I haven't read them in a while, but isn't that in 2061? All I remember about 3001 is the stupid ending where
they destroy the monolith with a computer virus, Independence Day style.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
2 pages in and still no Grease 2? Strange that...
No one can forget Grease 2, superlative film and vastly superior to the original.

I just recently learned the surprisingly heartwarming fact that The Swan Princess from 1994 has continued on to this day for a total(currently) of 9 films. And they are all made by the same people, there has been a single director for all the films and only two different writers(Yuri Lowenthal being one of them!).

Original:

First and latest sequels:

Last edited:

Frump

Oct 27, 2017
No can forget Grease 2, superlative film and vastly superior to the original.

I just recently learned the surprisingly heartwarming fact that The Swan Princess from 1994 has continued on to this day for a total(currently) of 9 films. And they are all made by the same people, there has been a single director for all the films and only two different writers(Yuri Lowenthal being one of them!).

Original:

First and latest sequels:
What in the world? How have I never seen these before?

SweetVermouth

Mar 5, 2018
Also remember Poltergeist III? The movie was meh but it had some nice mirror effects lol

Last edited:

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
South East England, UK
Zathura is sort of a sequel to Jumanji, although the movie doesn't reference the events of the first film (and director Favreau discourages linking them) the book is a direct sequel. Flopped at the box office and was pretty much forgotten about. Next film he directed was Iron Man.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
All the people mentioning 2010 is warming my heart. I absolutely adore that movie and may even prefer it to the original. It's a more conventional film, sure, and lacks all of Kubrick's genius but it's such a good story and Roy Scheider is tremendous in it. It's also got one of my favourite endings ever. I never thought I'd feel so much emotion for a light with a robot voice.