First Game(s) You Ever Played?

Lemming_JRS

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna make my first post here a new thread -

What were the first games you ever played in the arcade, on a computer, on a handheld, on a console, and on a mobile device? To the best of your memory, anyway. :) Associated stories always welcome.

Arcade - Space Invaders
My parents had plans to meet friends at a bar, but they couldn't get a sitter, so they dragged me along. The bar had a Space Invaders machine (tabletop style); they handed me a stack of quarters so they could catch up with their friends.

Computer - Star Raiders
Didn't actually own an Atari, but an electronics store my dad frequented had a demo set up; I'd play while he browsed the store. For weeks I'd just fly around shooting asteroids, thinking they were ships, until a store employee took pity on me and showed me the galactic map. Mind was blown.

Console - Intellivision Baseball
This game was difficult to play by yourself, but I was an only child, so I managed. Got pretty good at it, though I always suspected I was letting myself win.

Handheld - Galaxian 2 by Entex. And yup, you could play it 2-player, with one person controlling the aliens.

Mobile - Edge
(okay, probably not the first mobile game I played, but definitely the first one I bought when I got my first iPhone)

Last edited:

Soldnerschild

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared... I don't remember, and I'm only 25 years old!
I remember the first I finished tho, Super Mario 64. I was so proud of myself.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
The first game I ever played, as far as I can remember, was Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis. A family friend gave us the system when I was four or five, not sure how we got the game though. I remember playing it and the sequel a ton.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 was my first, I think.
First computer game was for an apple computer. You play as a guy trying to get his hat I think? If that sounds familiar let me know.
First mobile was assassins creed for pre smart phone era phones.
Something along those lines.
Was pretty neat for the time.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade: Mortal Kombat in 1993, seeing all the gore was quite the experience

Computer: Transformers for the C64. Superbad

Console: Super Mario World. I missed the NES' heyday

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
The first game I remember playing was Chips Challenge on DOS

It's a dumb game but it still holds a place in my heart.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I honestly don't know. Thinking back to my early childhood, several games mix together:

River Raid on my cousin's Atari, which I borrowed
Super Mario Bros.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, specifically the electric coral level

il Diavolo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was Mario Bros 3. Or at least the first when I could start retaining memories.

Oct 27, 2017
Electro Freddy for CPC 464. Yeah, super shitty game, but i played it for tens of hours.

On a console: Alex Kid In Miracle World for Master System. Pretty good game for the time, you could punch weird animals in the face, ride a motorbike, play Rock–paper–scissors for whatever reason... Good times.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember, but it was probably some iteration of Jumpstart. I was playing those types of point and click edutainment PC games for as long as I can remember.

The first non-point-and-click game I played, though, was M&M's and the Lost Formulas.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The first game I ever played was either the original Donkey Kong arcade cabinet (at a restaurant or something), or Sonic & Knuckles (on my older cousin's Genesis). The first console my parents ever bought me was an N64 with DK and some Sesame Street games, and that was where my interest in the medium took off, lol.

My first PC game was probably Journey of the Zoombinis on a library computer. I was so hype when they announced an HD re-release on Steam!

First mobile game, no idea, lol. I think Canabalt? Anyone still remember that one?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really difficult question, and one that I can't answer with any degree of certainty.
I'm considering on adding images and will add them in a little bit.

First games I remember playing though included:
Console (I can't remember which one it was):
Barnstorming on Atari 2600. I remember thinking it was so funny flying into the birds/chickens whatever they were.
Berserk. The bzzzzztt noise that occurs when you like touch a wall I remember being really scary to me. Hey! I was really young!

Computer:
Bad Street Brawler on... some kind of computer. I think it might've been an IBM PC (maybe?) but I just remember what probably a lot of people remember about this game. "Hey! I'm Hulk Hogan!"
Another game I remember playing really early on was Manhunter: San Francisco, but I'm almost positive Bad Street Brawler was before.

Arcade:
We're a family that didn't get out much. So it took a while before I played an arcade game for the first time. First one I remember playing though was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game at some kid's birthday party at one of those pizza places (Chuck E Cheese or something like that). Pop was a little upset that I spent like 20 dollars on quarters lol. It was me and three of the "bigger kids," and we ended up beating it.

Mobile:

Man, I dunno. Oh wait, I do know. Snake (duh) on my Nokia 5165 (I think the number was?).

Oct 27, 2017
Granny's Garden on the BBC Micro I think.

Anyone that went to Primary school in the 80's was likely mentally scarred by her hideous visage screeching on screen for what seemed like an eternity.

In terms on consoles, either Duck Hunt or Mario. They came on the same cartridge.

Saturday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amidst blurry memories of Tetris on the Game Boy and various MS-DOS games on the PC, The earliest game I can remember fully is King's Quest V.

I was.. six? I started playing it with my sister, herself in high school at the time. The more I remember, the more confused I get. We didn't play any other entries in the series, I have no idea how we got ahold of a copy of King's Quest V, and- well, shit- I can't complete that shit as an adult, so I can only imagine what I felt about it as a kid.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was Super Mario Bros. on the NES, but I'm not absolutely sure. I know I played some arcade games before that, but I can't remember any names.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be certain anymore... but it was either Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros, TMNT or Karate Kid. This is on NES of course. Those are the earliest gaming memories I have.

snesfreak

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I...don't know.
I don't remember if we had our TRS-80 before our NES or not.

All I can remember is getting Spy VS. Spy with the NES, so maybe that?

I'm old, you see.
I don't remember if we even got SMB with it or not, that's how bad my memory is lol.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arcade: I don't know. Street Fighter 2 maybe?

Console: Super Mario World for the SNES. Also the first game I beat.

PC: Spider Solitaire and Sim City 2000.

Mobile: Space Impact.

Lots of S's here.

Oct 27, 2017
My first memory is going to The Wiz and having my parents buy me a SNES. I was, like, 4 years old. First games were Super Mario World + All Stars (the best cart) and Zelda: ALTTP. A fine introduction, in my opinion.

Scruffy

Oct 28, 2017
The first game I ever played was Gyromite on NES because my parents bought the NES which included R.O.B. I was so confused on how the game was supposed to be played because of the spinning top looking things that R.O.B. handled.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario 64
Shadows of the Empire
Mario Kart 64
Ninja Gaiden
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

My first 5 games lol.

Nayishiki

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade: The House of the Dead
Console :Super Mario Bros (NES)
PC: Lost Eden
Mobile: Fruit Ninja

warkki

Oct 27, 2017
My first console was the Sega Master System 2 which had Sonic 2 pre-installed. I was four years old back then and my family freshly moved from the Soviet Union to Germany. Fun times.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. I got a second-hand NES from my cousin that came with it and like 10 other games.

Stefarno

Oct 27, 2017
First on a computer - TLL on the ZX Spectrum.

The graphics were absolutely amazing for the time. And you could fly under bridges!

First on a console - Formula One on PS1.

A wonderful game from Bizarre Creations. The game was astonishing for the time - a massive field of cars, accurately modeled tracks and it was the first game to really capture the sport like it was on TV - the combination of the TV graphics with the pants-on-fire enthusiastic commentary of Murray Walker totally made the package.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

The game has a lot of nostalgia for me. Plus Hell March is a fantastic song. That would be the PC entry

As far as the console entry, it was Heavy Rain (for PS3 obviously). I remember wanting to play the game quite a lot and was happy that the console came with it (got the system used), and being really surprised at how comfortable the controller was and just how versatile it was, too (that's one thing Quantic do well - use unique control schemes that still work). I almost dropped the controller after feeling it vibrate for the first time haha.

I can't recall what the ones for mobile and arcade were, though. Probably Snake for mobile? Dunno...

Last edited:

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I can't exactly remember, but it was either Pokemon Red or Oracle of Ages/Seasons. I got into gaming when I was really young due to my older brother.

Xeonidus

Oct 28, 2017
My dad bought me a Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt nes bundle with the blaster. Picked up 1943, Breakthru, Rush N' Attack, and Xevious along with it. Naturally, the first one I played was Super Mario Brothers.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It was either Sunsoft's Batman or Life Force, I'm just know sure which came first since the memories are faint, from when I was 3-4 years old.