Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers |OT2| The Zodiark Killer

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The whole fight?
Jeez what went wrong
I pulled E6N on roulette yesterday. It was a duty in progress with 30 minutes elapsed. Both tanks and a DPS had left. Thought I'd break the tension, so greeted with "morning fellas, how's the run going?" Only one person even answered and it wasn't very positive lol. :(

But then a DPS in the party dropped, requeue'd as tank, and we got rolling and cleared it on first try. So I still don't know what happened. Party seemed fine.

Anyway, iLvl480 on healer get! This gear is so pretty, especially in Wine Red, which is mandatory in all glams.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Want to craft Neo-Ishgardian set and maybe sell them to make money, but then I just failed to overmeld my crafting gears 20 times in a row. Pretty sure I spent more money tying to pentameld DoH gears (and still failing) than just buying a complete Neo-Ishgardian set, urghhhh.

I think I'm just gonna sell that Ufti Horn once I got it to make my money back. Getting super close now with Skybuilders Scrip.
you really dont need to pentameld to craft the 3star stuff. just compensate from gathering the hq mats and food to craft them.
also new legendary node mats are still dumb ez (low preception) to gather and get hq. like u dont even need to overmeld and just meld with 6s to get enough preception and some gp boost

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
imho, E5N difficulty is great. Once you know the mechanic, it's pretty simple but those first pulls when you're figuring it out felt pretty good. E6N and E7N on the other side felt relatively easy and weren't as punishing.

I still have no idea how people screw up the transition from E8N phase 1 to phase 2.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize that the extract materia actually extends to all gear now instead of just the crafted stuff. Plenty more ways to get materia now

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
you really dont need to pentameld to craft the 3star stuff. just compensate from gathering the hq mats and food to craft them.
also new legendary node mats are still dumb ez (low preception) to gather and get hq. like u dont even need to overmeld and just meld with 6s to get enough preception and some gp boost
Yeah that's what I said last page, if you have the minimum craft/control needed for them, all you need is ONE HQ material, and because they flattened recipe levels, it can be any of the items, which include sands(which are often similar prices for NQ and HQ) and normal materials(the pre 80 stuff like dwarven cotton/mythril and swallow leather and lignum vitae, which are generall 1-2k higher than normal materials or are easily HQed yourself if you want to save that amount). Having stats so you can 100% HQ with 0 materials costs like 10-20millions in melds, but having stats so you 100% HQ with a single HQ material costs less than a million and only adds like 1-2k per craft(or you have to 1macro HQ some easy materials).

There is the future proofing issue, but the way I melded my stuff I have nothing on my tools but CP, so I can remeld the tools to reach the requirements needed to craft the next tier of gear or I can remeld any piece since I barely did any overmelding(so I'd be "losing" only the 4-5materias I lost overmelding my stuff) and a few HQ materials then will guarantee HQs for the new tier.

They made crafting simple enough that pentamelding is way overkill. Hell I'm pretty sure you can HQ with only 1 materials with the new scrip gear(still probably want accessories crafted and melded for CP though since the scrip gear has garbage CP).

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Tonight is finally gonna be the night I dive into the patch. Also my FC is dead. How active is era's?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Tonight is finally gonna be the night I dive into the patch. Also my FC is dead. How active is era's?
Extremely.

EDIT: My first trip on the fishing boat I only caught half as many fish as the other 7 people in my party. This is why I'm not a trade mentor. Got me just a few million XP away from 80, but I guess I'm gonna have to figure out what I'm doing to get that shark minion.

Last edited:

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
after 4 days of trying I finally get the Ocean fishing mount.... on a boat with around 5 people on it (managed to sign up 10 seconds before the NPC stopped taking sign ups.

wtf lol.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Damn, between the fishing boat and the new beast tribe, I got fishing from 72 to 80 in a few hours time. Each beast tribe quest is 4.5m XP at 79 and each fish off the boat was like ~1.4m XP. O_O

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I pulled E6N on roulette yesterday. It was a duty in progress with 30 minutes elapsed. Both tanks and a DPS had left. Thought I'd break the tension, so greeted with "morning fellas, how's the run going?" Only one person even answered and it wasn't very positive lol. :(

But then a DPS in the party dropped, requeue'd as tank, and we got rolling and cleared it on first try. So I still don't know what happened. Party seemed fine.

Anyway, iLvl480 on healer get! This gear is so pretty, especially in Wine Red, which is mandatory in all glams.

Nice, it looks really pretty in that color. I‘ve got the top in the default colors for now. Too poor to afford the rest of the set so just using some stuff in my glamour dresser around it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
mechanic wise it less intense than innocence but then its not as forgiving where u can get 10+ death in innocence ex and still clear lol
less difficult than titania imo
It shoudl also help that there's a checkpoint at the start of phase two.

People in FC chat last night were talking about how people are already skipping mechanics in Ruby Weapon Ex.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm hoping to try Ruby Weapon Ex either tonight or tomorrow. I haven't done it yet. It's been a rough week. I haven't even finished the MSQ yet.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
It shoudl also help that there's a checkpoint at the start of phase two.

People in FC chat last night were talking about how people are already skipping mechanics in Ruby Weapon Ex.
ye did some kills yesterday and it aint hard to skip mechanics, tho if you reach 0.1%boss hp during a mechanic you have to watch it play through all the way which is extremely stupid

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Bay Area, California
Random off topic thing here but I went back and watched old Extreme trial clears from ARR and Heavansward, and I can't believe how different every class is compared to now. Like Bard had to CAST every ability?!?! I remember hearing about the change to Bards casting years ago but didn't see how it could be a big deal, but after playing one, holy shit I couldn't imagine it.

Is there any videos or sites that have a breakdown of job changes over the years? I'm SUPER interested in seeing more of that stuff.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I may just make a thread about this, but how much enjoyment could I get from this game just playing a few hours a night at most? I've been wanting to mess around with this game for years (I used to love FFXI), and I'm starting to reach my breaking point.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I may just make a thread about this, but how much enjoyment could I get from this game just playing a few hours a night at most? I've been wanting to mess around with this game for years (I used to love FFXI), and I'm starting to reach my breaking point.
It may take a long time before you get through all of the main content but I don’t see why you couldn’t be able to enjoy it. The worst issue is queue times for some content can take a while which can hurt on a limited schedule.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Bay Area, California
I think you can really enjoy it if you know what to expect going in. Being an MMO, it has a lot of go here and talk to this person then run back type of stuff towards the beginning, but once you start getting dungeons around level 15, it becomes very fun. Playing just a few hours a night is how I started out and I made my way thorugh the base game (2.0) in a few weeks and I played by myself outside of the dungeon content. If you like FF stories, this is hands down one of the best at this point. All of the expansions are incredible and it just keeps getting better.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
well that makes me feel even worse about being totally unable to dodge helicoclaw
You’re not alone. I just follow the people who know what they’re doing. It’s like my brain can’t process where he’s gonna be in time to position myself. Thankfully it’s only the first one I have a hard time dodging so at worst I die once. I’d say mechanically it’s a pretty simple fight but it has a few me mechanics where if one person fucks up, everyone literally explodes. That can get annoying.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think playing at whatever pace feels comfortable to you is a perfectly viable option to approach this game. It's worth noting this is a very long game so it may take you some time to catch up with the main story/current endgame, but depending what your goals are, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've approached the game as primarily a single player RPG where I sometimes do group content when needed (or when I feel like it), and enjoyed taking my time to catch up with the story when I first got into the game.

If you don't already know about it, there's a free trial you can check out as well if you want to get a taste of the game.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I think playing at whatever pace feels comfortable to you is a perfectly viable option to approach this game. It's worth noting this is a very long game so it may take you some time to catch up with the main story/current endgame, but depending what your goals are, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've approached the game as primarily a single player RPG where I sometimes do group content when needed (or when I feel like it), and enjoyed taking my time to catch up with the story when I first got into the game.

If you don't already know about it, there's a free trial you can check out as well if you want to get a taste of the game.
So, apparently I had already triggered the free trial awhile ago, but I do own the base game. I'm happy to pay for a month to see if I like it, though.

Now, what class should I try that'll make solo'ing the most painless? I tend to like melee classes over mages, generally. I just want the best consolidated experience possible.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
I play a few hours a night at most and skip some days, I had a blast going through the story. The main scenario is the meat and potatoes of the game, it starts slow but playing a few hours a night you'll finish sooner than you think.

rpm

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the 24th century
So, apparently I had already triggered the free trial awhile ago, but I do own the base game. I'm happy to pay for a month to see if I like it, though.

Now, what class should I try that'll make solo'ing the most painless? I tend to like melee classes over mages, generally. I just want the best consolidated experience possible.
For the solo parts of the MSQ, they're not painful in any way shape or form. They aren't hard, but they even added 2 lower difficulty levels below what is now known as normal to them a few months ago, becoming available once you fail a solo duty for the first time. Do not choose a job based on solo content.

You need to figure out what role (healer/DPS/tank) you want to be playing in group content and make a decision on what job to play within that role.

EDIT: I realized I should just link the "which job to play video"

Keep in mind, it's about a year out of date, so it doesn't have the two newest jobs, and it also has some out of date info, but you'll still be able to get the gist of each job which is what the video aims to do

Last edited:

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Bay Area, California

Sounds like you may enjoy either of the tank classes available at the start. You will never have to wait in the dungeon que times unlike the DPS classes. I think Maurader is a really fun class so maybe check that one out. Tanks are basically beefier DPS classes in this game at this point so you won't feel weak or anything while playing. Gladiator starts really slow but when you get your job of Paladin at level 30, it becomes more fun.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

The majority of the main story is solo quests, and l think the important thing to know is every class is more than viable to get through the main story. As mentioned before, leveling a tank is convenient since they tend to enjoy the shortest queue times for dungeons, followed by healer. I wouldn't necessarily level them up for that sole reason, as tanking isn't for everyone (or healing for that matter), but if those classes sound fun to you, then by all means go for it. rpm posted Larryzaur's primer for the different jobs above, which I also think is a good starting primer for the different classes in the game.

Ultimately I'd pick whatever job looks most fun/appealing to you, though also keep in mind it tends to take a bit of leveling before you get the class/job abilities that really make them come together with the 'cooler abilities'.

aceface

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played about 2 hrs a night 4 or 5 nights a week for years, a lot of fun! I would recommend going tank or healer or having a tank/healer buddy to queue with though for fast queues. I've always mained healer so queue times haven't been a problem.

For jobs, to best optimize your time, I'd go for SMN/SCH. It's two jobs that share the same base class (arcanist) so you can level them up at the same time, with Summoner being a DPS and Scholar being a healer. For solo stuff you can go Summoner, and with a pet summoned and a chocobo fighting alongside, you almost feel like a little mini-party. Then, you can always switch over Scholar for the quick healer queues if you feel so inclined.

Hamrub

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
It’s much less demanding of your time than FFXI. If you can spare a couple of hours a few times a week you will be able to make progress. It’s very solo player friendly, especially if you like to heal or tank.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Finally make some progress on MSQ. Got too distracted making back the gil I had lost.

That night scene with the 5th role quest character is sooooo good.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas

Finished up some stuff in game and just for shits and giggles hit the duty finder before I went to the store for groceries and gas. Came back and still had about 2 hours in queue going while I did other stuff.

Got it ran though so I'm ready for the continuation. The entire questline is crazy fanservice though. Loved Orbonne. Wish I'd won the Ramza minion though.

rpm

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the 24th century

Finished up some stuff in game and just for shits and giggles hit the duty finder before I went to the store for groceries and gas. Came back and still had about 2 hours in queue going while I did other stuff.

Got it ran though so I'm ready for the continuation. The entire questline is crazy fanservice though. Loved Orbonne. Wish I'd won the Ramza minion though.
Oof.

I have yet to do the Ivalice raids, hopefully queue times fall as we get closer to 5.25

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just watched a Ruby Weapon Ex guide. Fight looks rough. I don't know if I'm up to it to try it tonight.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a Ruby Weapon Ex guide. Fight looks rough. I don't know if I'm up to it to try it tonight.
Honestly it has like 3 tough parts maybe. The Ravensclaw + Liquifaction combo because it gets super cozy and one mistake will blow everyone up, the Ravensflight plus that stupid claw, and fighting the adds because some tanks can mess up the swap. It’s one of those fights where if one person fucks up, it’s basically a wipe. First phase is kinda generous though. I beat it without a guide. Just trial and error with pugs.

Moara

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the easiest extreme trial in a while once you actually see it for yourself. I just joined a blind pug and we got to meteors in less than one lockout, and that's most of the fight. Phase 1 is super generous and allows for a lot of mistakes, and phase 2 is basically a simple version of the original nael fight lol

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Was the weekly lockout on Manufactured Coins removed? In the Duty Finder it says “Reward already received” for Copied Factory. I’d rather not run it again this week for no Coin...