Favorite moment in Star Wars? Series spoilers inbound.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
With all of the new Star Wars media releasing and the influx of threads about them, I figured why not one to highlight the moments that left an impression on you, be them from the movies, the cartoons, the novels, games or comics? Just for fun feel free to include old EU stuff if they're still great, knee-sabers and all.

Though I doubt many (if any) will share my opinion, my favorite moment is also in my opinion the best fight to have come out of Star Wars.

Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan from Star Wars Rebels. Is it the most flashy fight we have seen? Not at all, but it does so many things in such a small amount of time. It bridges the OT and PT with the calculated, and almost weighty feeling from Obi-Wan like in Episode 4 with the flair of the PT thanks to Maul. A perfect samurai-esque showdown. It shows that Obi-Wan, even in his older age and self-exile has still grown and become stronger, while the darkness Maul has had to endure has not given him anything with which to truly grow. Obi-Wan uses Maul's arrogance against him, he fakes a look of anger at Maul when he realizes why Obi-Wan is truly on such a desolate planet ("to protect someone") and Obi-Wan assumes a familiar stance, the same one Qui-Gon took before Maul struck him down. Maul returns the stance in kind, using the same technique he employed to kill Qui-Gon. It turns out to have been a fake out on Obi-Wan's part and once Maul falls for the bait Obi-Wan makes quick work of him; the man who killed not only Obi-Wan's master but also the woman he loved. Obi-Wan has every right and reason to hate Maul, yet he is quick to catch his former rival as he drops to the ground and they sit for a moment, talking. Maul asks if Obi-Wan is protecting "the one" to which he is given affirmation. Maul, with his final moments realizes (or at least outwardly acknowledges) that he had been nothing but a pawn that was used and abused by Sidious until he was no longer a man but a weapon made to kill. With his dying breath Maul finds peace and discards his anger and hatred. He dies knowing that he and everyone else who has suffered because of Sidious will be avenged by the one Obi-Wan is protecting. Obi-Wan realizes Maul was nothing but a puppet, or perhaps he has known for a awhile as he gives Maul's lifeless body a sad, almost forgiving glance. He then closes the warriors eyes before he departs to bury the body and check on Luke.

Overall I think it's a bomb ass ending to a rivalry that has spanned many years, in less than 3 minutes a short fight and a scene of dialogue says and shows so much about these two characters. Both Sam Witwer as Maul and Stephen Stanton as Old Obi-Wan knock it out of the park with their performance, they give the scene the gravity it deserves.

With my shit out of the way, what moments captured you?

Last edited:

Ryan.

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the movies?

Or:

Outside of the movies it's difficult.

The ending to Rebels is pretty good.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

God, I fucking love this scene so much. Not only is it my favorite scene in all of Star Wars, it's one of my favorite scenes in cinema period.

The lead up to this with Rey and Kylo in the elevator where they're both saying they will turn for each others, so Kylo betraying Snoke and making you feel like he went to the lightside to the final gut punch when we find out that he wants Rey to turn with him. Everything is pitch perfect and if that wasn't good enough, it's cutting in between Finn/Rose and Poe/Holdo's storylines with all three plotlines climaxing at the first same time with Holdo raming Snoke's armada.

IS. IT. FUCKING. AMAZING.

Bio

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

Not even for the fight so much as how well they actually incorporated the father-son conflict into it, but the fight is among the best in the franchise, too.

TheXbox

Oct 29, 2017

Not even for the fight so much as how well they actually incorporated the father-son conflict into it, but the fight is among the best in the franchise, too.

I can hear the music in this gif, and it still gives me goosebumps.
Yes, yes, yes. Not just favorite, but best.

EDIT: Just to shout out something a little less widely recognized, I love the intro to Rey on Jakku. That five minutes alone justified the acquisition of Lucasfilm and the enterprise of building a sequel to Return of the Jedi.

Last edited:

Ooopsklo

Aug 20, 2019

God, I fucking love this scene so much. Not only is it my favorite scene in all of Star Wars, it's one of my favorite scenes in cinema period.

The lead up to this with Rey and Kylo in the elevator where they're both saying they will turn for each others, so Kylo betraying Snoke and making you feel like he went to the lightside to the final gut punch when we find out that he wants Rey to turn with him. Everything is pitch perfect and if that wasn't good enough, it's cutting in between Finn/Rose and Poe/Holdo's storylines with all three plotlines climaxing at the first same time with Holdo raming Snoke's armada.

IS. IT. FUCKING. AMAZING.
I wish I could but the choreography kills me

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
This is an easy one:

That last shot of Luke and Leia looking out at the spiral galaxy might be my favorite shot in all of cinema. And oh my the music..

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
I really like this thread. It's such a weird mixture of choices, which is what makes Star Wars so great. I'm in my mid-30s and grew up with Star Wars and selected The Last Jedi. Others are picking the original trilogy, some have picked Rogue One.

Star Wars rules.

OP
OP
Kard8p3

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it :). And yea, as a kid I never expected star wars to become what it is today. So much good material has come out in the last few years that any fan can find something that deeply satisfies them. Hell, even swtor has some awesome class stories

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
Glad you're enjoying it :). And yea, as a kid I never expected star wars to become what it is today. So much good material has come out in the last few years that any fan can find something that deeply satisfies them.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone chose a comic book moment and it'd be perfectly valid. Lots of great comic scenes at this point too.

Oct 25, 2017
Movies: Obi-Wan vs Anakin
RotS ending (truly felt like Star Wars was done for far longer than it was at that time)

Clone Wars: entire Mortis story

Rebels :

Overall franchise:

honorable mention : Rebel fleet arriving in Rogue One.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
We're including *all* media?

Oh jeez.

I'm bereft of prequel knowledge except from a hazy recollection of ROTS so I'll have to go with Vader rising up in the Original Trilogy, and from the new Trilogy, of course, Luke defeating Kylo (metaphorically).

From other media, it's gotta be the Unreveal from KOTOR2. Just, gotta be.

OP
OP
Kard8p3

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars: entire Mortis story

This arc was just amazing on every level, definitely a fan of the scene with Anakin getting a glimpse of the future and the affect it has on him. These episodes also did really well with showing just how STRONG Anakin is. He overpowered the living embodiment of the dark and light side and brought them both to their knees.