Elden Ring announced (FromSoftware's largest game to date, Hidetaka Miyazaki x George R.R Martin, PS4/XBO/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameongreggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guilty here for this post , but every time I see this thread on the FP I get super excited, and then click away feeling empty.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guilty here for this post , but every time I see this thread on the FP I get super excited, and then click away feeling empty.
We will all feel empty until at the very least TGA on thursday, may be with huge luck tomorrow on state of play, but until then consider this a kind of hype thread in anticipation for TGA...

And then after that we can all be hollow together.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
We will all feel empty until at the very least TGA on thursday, may be with huge luck tomorrow on state of play, but until then consider this a kind of hype thread in anticipation for TGA...

And then after that we can all be hollow together.
Maybe it's irrelevant but considering the game was revelead at Xbox E3 conference I won't expect it to be shown at the State of Play.

FlintSpace

Oct 28, 2017
I am going to be very dissappointed if neither Arkham or ER shows up at TGA. Hope those 10 reveals promised at TGA atleast have some hard hitters.

Else...E3 is going to be murder in 2020. Sony would be filling those hours with 10min gameplay trailers back to back and not break a sweat. Ha.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's irrelevant but considering the game was revelead at Xbox E3 conference I won't expect it to be shown at the State of Play.
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think that seeing the first trailer on an xbox press conference means the marketing will only happen on an xbox event or that namco cannot just give the next trailer for PS event.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3's menu theme is the best OST From has ever did, FIGHT ME
That theme isn't my personal favorite of souls OSTs, but damn it's really close and up there, and to be honest, if I had to chose a OST that encapsulates From's genious on the music part it would be that one, holy shit it's amazing.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
That theme isn't my personal favorite of souls OSTs, but damn it's really close and up there, and to be honest, if I had to chose a OST that encapsulates From's genious on the music part it would be that one, holy shit it's amazing.
the bells kicking in with the violins... my blood gets pumped so much and i find that is such a fitting theme to go with the journey :)

SoulsHunt

Dec 3, 2019
Every Souls games (except DkS II) has unique OST. They all are perfect. I still place Bloodborne at the top, then DmS, DkS III and DkS. Can't wait for Elden Ring!

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Even II has some great songs, like Majula's theme. But I agree, it's the one that stands out the least.

CenturionNami

Nov 2, 2017
Demon Souls soundtrack isn't very memorable, besides the things associated with the Nexus and the ending theme. I hate organs.

It dosen't even compare to Dark Souls 1. (Like many aspects, Demon Souls is just an inferior game in every way)

SoulsHunt

Dec 3, 2019
Even II has some great songs, like Majula's theme. But I agree, it's the one that stands out the least.
Majula is probably the only good theme. Sir Alonne's one is good too, actualy

Demon Souls soundtrack isn't very memorable, besides the things associated with the Nexus and the ending theme. I hate organs.

It dosen't even compare to Dark Souls 1. (Like many aspects, Demon Souls is just an inferior game in every way)

It is (memorable). Just 2 examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESqvGzdnvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqhqbsdpAXo

Demon's Souls OST is perfect. The game has a unique atmosphere. It's not juste "an inferior game in every way", and the OST shows that's it's not. Beside, the fact that a lot of fans are asking the remake of the game is not a concidence

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017

A Moment's Peace is amazing, love this song. Possibly my favorite in Dark Souls.

But I don't think the character creator song in Demon's is any worse, also fantastic and evocative of the atmosphere and music you'll find in the main game.

Maiden Astraea's theme sounds like something straight out of Berserk, I can't possibly agree that it isn't memorable. Or how about the chants in Penetrator's theme?

Dark Souls has its fair share of incredible, memorable songs, Firelink Shrine is one of the best themes in the series, and Gwyn's Theme is likely the most iconic out of them all, but I end up giving Demon's the edge due to how weird it sounds. It just serves as a perfect complement to the game's atmosphere. Yuka Kitamura is overall my favorite composer due to her consistently great music, but I do think something was lost from Kida and even Sakuraba as they just got closer to "standard epic songs" and a bit too similar to each other. A lot of the Dark Souls III compositions kind of blend together to me.

But it's still overall great, of course. Truth is we're very well served in this regard.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
The elden ring trailer theme definitely sounds something like the "ambition of mankind"

CenturionNami

Nov 2, 2017
I think you can hear hints of Gywn's theme in the trailer, so It might be another case of "Humanity becoming the Lords of the world"

CenturionNami

Nov 2, 2017
Majula is probably the only good theme. Sir Alonne's one is good too, actualy

It is (memorable). Just 2 examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESqvGzdnvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqhqbsdpAXo

Demon's Souls OST is perfect. The game has a unique atmosphere. It's not juste "an inferior game in every way", and the OST shows that's it's not. Beside, the fact that a lot of fans are asking the remake of the game is not a concidence
People want a Remake because of how outdated and aged it is. Still a great game, but you can tell it's the first game in the series, there' ton's of archaic mechanics.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Oh yeah, this one is fantastic, too.
The Crown DLCs upped their game in terms of music

Also another standout is the milfanito chants

People want a Remake because of how outdated and aged it is. Still a great game, but you can tell it's the first game in the series, there' ton's of archaic mechanics.
Agreed. It's rough around the edges,especially compared to the spiritual sequels. DeS has soul in it,but looks rough by today's standards imo

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
It still looks and animates better than Dark Souls II, imo, and that game was received very well with the current gen version.

Item load is the only mechanic I'd consider archaic and that should probably be removed. World Tendency isn't "archaic", it's just different and unique to the rest of the series.

"Modernizing" that would be like removing Equip Load from Dark Souls 1 just because Bloodborne didn't have it. There's intent in the design, it should be kept. Not everything should be made for the player's convenience.

Also another standout is the milfanito chants

HGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Oct 25, 2017
The elden ring trailer theme definitely sounds something like the "ambition of mankind"
It gives of that marching towards something big feeling. Hard to explain I got similar vibes when approaching Hyrule Castle in BotW.
Yeah, like a dark fantasy epic with some high fantasy elements. Looks like a wild apocalyptic world. Red skies, crimson haired one armed warrior with a mechanical arm, and everyone seems to be cracking, or burning!

Freakin giants wielding glowing giant swords with an Insignia. Look at the scale of this being in comparison to the fallen warriors by his feet. Probably took them all on by himself..

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
I will never get hyped for cool looking skies in From games again after the leaked Dark Souls III pictures.

Nothing is real until the game comes out. :C

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
A Moment's Peace is amazing, love this song. Possibly my favorite in Dark Souls.

But I don't think the character creator song in Demon's is any worse, also fantastic and evocative of the atmosphere and music you'll find in the main game.

Maiden Astraea's theme sounds like something straight out of Berserk, I can't possibly agree that it isn't memorable. Or how about the chants in Penetrator's theme?

Dark Souls has its fair share of incredible, memorable songs, Firelink Shrine is one of the best themes in the series, and Gwyn's Theme is likely the most iconic out of them all, but I end up giving Demon's the edge due to how weird it sounds. It just serves as a perfect complement to the game's atmosphere. Yuka Kitamura is overall my favorite composer due to her consistently great music, but I do think something was lost from Kida and even Sakuraba as they just got closer to "standard epic songs" and a bit too similar to each other. A lot of the Dark Souls III compositions kind of blend together to me.

But it's still overall great, of course. Truth is we're very well served in this regard.
Couldn't agree more. I'm enamored with the soulsborne OST, yet, DeS' is deeply engraved in my mind. Themes like the adjudicator, maiden astrea or even the intro / bad ending credits, just to name a few, are so incredibly evocative of the game world that I simply can't give the edge to any of the other 4 games' OSTs, however excellent they may be.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't agree more. I'm enamored with the soulsborne OST, yet, DeS' is deeply engraved in my mind. Themes like the adjudicator, maiden astrea or even the intro / bad ending credits, just to name a few, are so incredibly evocative of the game world that I simply can't give the edge to any of the other 4 games' OSTs, however excellent they may be.
Oh, right, the Adjudicator's theme is so... goofy. It's incredible.

The main theme is probably my favorite song in Soulsborne history.

And just for the record, Demon's is far from being my favorite in the series, since any discussion of "Demon's vs Dark" ends up being about which one you like more, or which one you played first, or whatever. I'm strictly talking about the OSTs here.

Omnipotent

High level of insight
Oct 25, 2017
I will never get hyped for cool looking skies in From games again after the leaked Dark Souls III pictures.

Nothing is real until the game comes out. :C
Might as well dispell some myths while I'm here.
As I understand it, most if not all of the leaked Dark Souls 3 stuff was more of a test/proof of concept than an actual game. I know over the past few years since the game has released as well as the ringed city people have theorized that the released Dark Souls 3 was somehow unfinished or neutered but that isn't really true. This is also why showing off in game stuff too early can be troublesome. Ultimately a lot of things get tried out and changed during the lifetime of any games development, all games have cut content, but more often than not things are cut or changed because they're not working out rather than it being intentionally left unfinished. The version you have in your head will probably always be better than the real thing because the version you have in your head hasn't gone through all the work to make sure that it actually works.

Grudy

Oct 29, 2017
As I understand it, most if not all of the leaked Dark Souls 3 stuff was more of a test/proof of concept than an actual game. I know over the past few years since the game has released as well as the ringed city people have theorized that the released Dark Souls 3 was somehow unfinished or neutered but that isn't really true. This is also why showing off in game stuff too early can be troublesome. Ultimately a lot of things get tried out and changed during the lifetime of any games development, all games have cut content, but more often than not things are cut or changed because they're not working out rather than it being intentionally left unfinished. The version you have in your head will probably always be better than the real thing because the version you have in your head hasn't gone through all the work to make sure that it actually works.
What really gets me is the reveal cinematic trailer did show the player dragging a corpse and making a bonfire with it so its natural many people assumed the concept was much further in development before it was cut from the game.

Still, while all those eclipse skies always looked cool, what really bugs me the most is all the lore changes from release version which were leaked or data mined. There was obviously a much more coherent plan for the game's progression and story which as you say got cut into the current version but I'll always wonder about how all the pieces were originally meant to fit together.

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The only stuff I ever wanted from the rumours/unfinished stuff was more Aldritch/Pontiff lore (wish the DLC focused on Pontiff like Artorias did in DS1) and the inclusion of the primordial serpents.

It felt like it would have been a great touch if you make it to the princes and find Darkstalker Kaathe is behind the Angel religion and since the fire last time has been trying to shape the kingdom to follow the path of the age of dark. With the primordial serpent statues appearing it didn't seem that far fetched.

I know some of that wasn't leaks but really sketchy 'I saw a synopsis' chatter but man Inwould have loved it to be true. Feels like it would have tied things up just a little tighter than what we got, which was still an amazing game, I just wanted something to come from all those threads it layed down.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
What really gets me is the reveal cinematic trailer did show the player dragging a corpse and making a bonfire with it so its natural many people assumed the concept was much further in development before it was cut from the game.
in the beginning of the final game we also see a most important figure doing this! so the concept was still shown in some description.

but the clarification from Omni is always welcome <3

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Maybe Elden Ring will have humans slowly turning into trees and never explain it either, just to twist that knife in my brain.

Omnipotent

High level of insight
Oct 25, 2017
The only stuff I ever wanted from the rumours/unfinished stuff was more Aldritch/Pontiff lore (wish the DLC focused on Pontiff like Artorias did in DS1) and the inclusion of the primordial serpents.

It felt like it would have been a great touch if you make it to the princes and find Darkstalker Kaathe is behind the Angel religion and since the fire last time has been trying to shape the kingdom to follow the path of the age of dark. With the primordial serpent statues appearing it didn't seem that far fetched.

I know some of that wasn't leaks but really sketchy 'I saw a synopsis' chatter but man Inwould have loved it to be true. Feels like it would have tied things up just a little tighter than what we got, which was still an amazing game, I just wanted something to come from all those threads it layed down.
The serpents and Kaathe specifically weren't planned to be in the game in any more capacity than they are currently. I think it would've been cool to see them show up but unfortunately that wasn't the plan from what I know.

Adryuu

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yesssss. This and the Firelink Shrine theme are, for me, the ones that best capture the essence and atmosphere of each game/series. And both are probably my favorites and undoubtedly the most memorable.

Majula theme was a fucking disappointment after FS btw, even if it's not bad.

For Elden Ring I'd really like a good, moody, emblematic theme for the hub/s as great as FS, but I don't have any hope after all these games.

Wait. Are you saying cg trailers need to stop? Because they need to stop.

They usually get done by other people too early in the development to be an accurate representation of mechanics and shit, imo. It's not only that they don't show the actual game.

Jun 4, 2019
Ready for Elden Ring to be totally absent from TGA this week.

I'd love to be surprised though. The wait sucks and we have no real idea when we can expect an update.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Maybe they’re turning into those flying thingies from the dragonslayer fight? It’s the first thing that comes to mind
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are related to the butterflies somehow. The big theory I've seen/read is that it is hollowing gone all wonky as the world burns itself out. I was just hoping for a snippet or two of lore in items to give us SOMETHING haha

Status
Not open for further replies.