EA will move Need for Speed development back to Criterion, Ghost Games to rebrand as EA Gothenburg

fspm

Oct 27, 2017
All NFSes by criterion sucked and it's a different studio now anyway. So ea just took nfs from one b tier and gave it to another.

Sep 14, 2019
Ghost Games: Makes a good Need for Speed game that sells well

EA: Demotes studio to support studio and switches Need for Speed to different developer.

Huh?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
whatever comes from it, please either have tuned hella drift handling or sharp controls instead of having both and feeling like a bargain bin PS1 game without having to tune my vehicle manually, and a reason why I should buy it over Forza Horizon 4 which promises fun times out the box

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Just forget NSF for a little while. Give it 2 or 3 years.

and GIVE US A NEW BURNOUT.

Seriously man.

Burnout Paradise came out in 2008....... that is 2008.......12 years ago.

Like seriously EA.

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Games: Makes a good Need for Speed game that sells well

EA: Demotes studio to support studio and switches Need for Speed to different developer.

Huh?
Heat did not sell well. It did not build the community.

NFS is just failing as a brand. It has such a great tuning system, but it simply fails to produce anything likable. All they can do is recycle that old BMW as the "tuning" car, and they used some yellow Lambo as the poster-child car for the Heat.

Starwing

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
This really doesn't mean anything at this point.

The Criterion you think of doesn't exist anymore. In fact, most of Criterion's staff moved over to Ghost Games back in 2013:

Criterion staff reduced to 17 with most the team moving to Ghost Games

Criterion stayed in existence as a small supporting studio for games like Battlefield & Battlefront. Now developers of Ghost Games are moving back to the Criterion umbrella. This seems to be about branding more than anything else to me.

EDIT:

To clarify, Criterion has crown to a large team again in the last few years. I didn't want to focus on the number of the employees but on the fact that Ghost Games was founded out of Criterion in the first place. From everything we know Criterion seems to be a great place to work with and it's very possible their future games are going to be amazing. It's just not really the "Burnout Criterion" you think of when hearing the name.
Yeah I was about to say, most of the team got reduced and/or moved to Ghost anyway. Still excited to see what they have, but the original Burnout team dissapated a while ago.

VeePs

Oct 25, 2017
Its just a rebranding of ghost games. Criterion hasnt existed since atleast hot pursuit 2010
Criterion has been growing the past few years.

At one point, there were very few developers left, with some leaving altogether, and others shifting to Ghost Games.

Since then Criterion has expanded, and have been a sort of support studio. They were key for things like Battlefield Firestorm (BR mode for BFV), Battlefront VR, etc.

They probably have 100+ devs now.

OmegaDL50

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This really doesn't mean anything at this point.

The Criterion you think of doesn't exist anymore. In fact, most of Criterion's staff moved over to Ghost Games back in 2013:

Criterion staff reduced to 17 with most the team moving to Ghost Games

Criterion stayed in existence as a small supporting studio for games like Battlefield & Battlefront. Now developers of Ghost Games are moving back to the Criterion umbrella. This seems to be about branding more than anything else to me.

EDIT:

To clarify, Criterion has crown to a large team again in the last few years. I didn't want to focus on the number of the employees but on the fact that Ghost Games was founded out of Criterion in the first place. From everything we know Criterion seems to be a great place to work with and it's very possible their future games are going to be amazing. It's just not really the "Burnout Criterion" you think of when hearing the name.
Yep. Most the big staff that is notable for Burnout such as Alex Ward have moved on.

Simply transferring the series by to Criterion and trying use the name as a selling point for future games does nothing.

A name is pointless without the people involved that live up to it in the first place.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Misery, AZ
Heat did not sell well. It did not build the community.

NFS is just failing as a brand. It has such a great tuning system, but it simply fails to produce anything likable. All they can do is recycle that old BMW as the "tuning" car, and they used some yellow Lambo as the poster-child car for the Heat.
Heat did sold well but it was behind the last 2 games.

Also the yellow ccar is a new car, the Polestar from Volvo.

They also brought back the other icon car, the Diablo SV from 3.

Honestly, they should do HP 2010 + Rivals with the customization of this game, everyone wins!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Misery, AZ
diablo was in nfs 2015.
ghost just made the same game 3 times with slightly different coat over 5 years.
True, they brought back the Ferrari's from 2015 plus added a few despite the F40 being in Rivals.

The issue I think was they were a small studio and were in Sweden but they were given Criterions people.

Oct 27, 2017
Heat did sold well but it was behind the last 2 games.

Also the yellow ccar is a new car, the Polestar from Volvo.

They also brought back the other icon car, the Diablo SV from 3.

Honestly, they should do HP 2010 + Rivals with the customization of this game, everyone wins!
I don't think that the poster-car did any favors to the image of the game.

It falls into the category of neither some iconic classic, nor the sexy supercar, nor the Murican-made. I get the Swedish studio x Swedish manufacturer collaboration, but this is a global game and I don't think the poster-car appealed to many.

Overall, modern NFS failed to do anything beyond the stock-game. It didn't even get the cockpit view...

Oct 27, 2017
None the games since High Stakes on PC have cockpits.
That is kind of my point, at some point you got to start adding new shit instead of re-releasing the same feature-set. Get the cockpit in, get the weather seasons, get some open-play online sessions like Forza Horizon has.

Just because people re-buy Fifa every year, EA shouldn't expect the same for other games.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it'll happen right now, but i'd love for them to drop story, customization (at least as far as performance goes), and just go back to it being about racing supercars while outrunning cops in beautiful locations. Just a simple concept of a fast arcade-style racing game that's easy to pick up and play.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that the poster-car did any favors to the image of the game.

It falls into the category of neither some iconic classic, nor the sexy supercar, nor the Murican-made. I get the Swedish studio x Swedish manufacturer collaboration, but this is a global game and I don't think the poster-car appealed to many.

Overall, modern NFS failed to do anything beyond the stock-game. It didn't even get the cockpit view...
that's overselling the poster cars, I think. no one buys games because of the cars on the cover

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
A smaller scale Need for Speed that isn't trying to be a multiplatform Forza Horizon would be cool to see, but most of the team that made Criterion special is gone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just forget NSF for a little while. Give it 2 or 3 years.

and GIVE US A NEW BURNOUT.

Seriously man.

Burnout Paradise came out in 2008....... that is 2008.......12 years ago.

Like seriously EA.
They should just secretly make a Burnout game just using the NFS license. That's basically what NFS: Most Wanted 2012 felt like they were doing.

Just sneak in a Crash Mode and more destructible vehicle damage.

Oct 27, 2017
that's overselling the poster cars, I think. no one buys games because of the cars on the cover
Ever saw the reaction to Cybertruck on the internet? A single car isn't going to sell the game, but it would generate some buzz and interest. Don't know anything about Polestar 1, but it is NOT a hot car which helps the image of the game.

Even the Audis in Avengers movies, literally paid marketing by Audi, are more interesting than the street-tuning "Polestar 1". Mclarens in Forza or GT Prototypes also work. Fast Furious always have multitude of cars, mixing prototypes/new/old.

Collaborate with Tesla for some crazy modified racing Tesla, get the anniversary GTR, new Italian supercar... Even modifying and facelifting some classic racing cars would appeal more.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Ever saw the reaction to Cybertruck on the internet? A single car isn't going to sell the game, but it would generate some buzz and interest. Don't know anything about Polestar 1, but it is NOT a hot car which helps the image of the game.

Even the Audis in Avengers movies, literally paid marketing by Audi, are more interesting than the street-tuning "Polestar 1". Mclarens in Forza or GT Prototypes also work. Fast Furious always have multitude of cars, mixing prototypes/new/old.

Collaborate with Tesla for some crazy modified racing Tesla, get the anniversary GTR, new Italian supercar... Even modifying and facelifting some classic racing cars would appeal more.
Except the Polestar 1 is well liked by both the media outlets and the public (who seen the car anyway). Polestar is just really new and the 1 isn't even sold in most places (whereas the polestar 2 will be)

Banderdash

Nov 16, 2017
Australia
EA have got to ditch Frostbite outside of DICE shooters. It's just fundamentally poisonous.
Putting another team on engineering isn't going to fix their issues...

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it will work but EA seems to have no real direction for this franchise. I say give it a handful of years off and let a Burnout try its hand.

I generally like NFS but man these releases this gen have had 0 actual personality. They can try to be Fast and the Furious over and over again but I just can't care anymore. I was excited for Heat hoping it would lean in on the Neon Miami aesthetic, only for it to be at the start and end of the race with some overly serious plot slapped on top of it. Just can't get into that personally. That said none of the games have been bad racers, they just have no style.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
They should just secretly make a Burnout game just using the NFS license. That's basically what NFS: Most Wanted 2012 felt like they were doing.

Just sneak in a Crash Mode and more destructible vehicle damage.
I agree.... and I believe that is what was going on before but they slapped NFS name on it as it is a more recognizable brand than Burnout.

But we really need a new Burnout man.