EA will move Need for Speed development back to Criterion, Ghost Games to rebrand as EA Gothenburg

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
Goddamn. So moving Criterion people to Ghost before doing the same thing again a few years later...

Ghost had a lot of chances but never really proved they could make a great racing games sadly. They made some good ones though, and I understand why EA would want them to keep doing things on Frostbite.
Hope that Criterion being a lead again will lead to better things for the franchise.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
Ick. Criterion is dead and even then the NFS games they made weren’t that good. Especially that fake ass Most Wanted. What they need to do is bring back EA Black Box who made the NFS games most of us loved.(Underground, MW2005)

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Games finally makes an enjoyable, surprisingly traditional, NFS title and they're being disbanded because the brand had been so damaged by stupid decisions (always-online and lootboxes) that no one bought it. I'm sure this will fix everything.

Nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Games finally makes an enjoyable, surprisingly traditional, NFS title and they're being disbanded because the brand had been so damaged by stupid decisions (always-online and lootboxes) that no one bought it. I'm sure this will fix everything.
Always online and lootboxes are the least of the problems with the latest entries.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Always online and lootboxes are the least of the problems with the latest entries.
I dunno, I think they were pretty big problems because they literally kept people from even playing them (for extended periods, I did try them via Origin Access). I know because I'm one of them, and I doubt I'm alone.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
And they were EAs fuckups and Ghost were the scapegoats, they finally are free to do what they want and those fuckups are why people stayed away from the latest one despite having none of the fuckups.
Correct. I didn't mean to imply they were GG's decisions, but I hate that they were finally allowed to just make a more traditional NFS title, and it turned out pretty well, and this is their reward.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Misery, AZ
Correct. I didn't mean to imply they were GG's decisions, but I hate that they were finally allowed to just make a more traditional NFS title, and it turned out pretty well, and this is their reward.
The Ghost era is just a baffling one because
-Rivals: They only had half a year to make it using assets from the last 3 games and reup them to Frostbite.
-NFS 2015: Always online
-Payback: MTX to hell and back and ripping off the Crew
-Heat: Goes back to the Blackbox 2000 era of games and clear of bullshit, mistakes from the last 2 games keep people from getting this and EA freaks out, hence today. Still no DLC or notable updates compared to 2 year old Forza Horizon 4

FlintSpace

Oct 28, 2017
And this point, I doubt even a stellar entry in NFS series would grab my interest again.
On and off playing Forza Horizon is enough for me.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Just give us a classic NFS with with expensive cars and tracks all over the world. But no open world nonsense, embarassing cutscenes and tuning options.
This, just closed off tracks through beatiful Scenery with Shiny Expensive Supercars.

All those terrible Fast & Furious oriented storylines can F*ck off.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
This is funny, because:

News: "EA will move NFS development back to Criterion"

Era: "Good, can't wait for the new Burnout."

Jun 2, 2019
Thank God! I can't manage to get hooked to the new NFS games no matter what, they all feel generic and soulless for me, a far cry from when Criterion was in charge.

Even if we don't get a new Burnout, their NFS were at least as good as Paradise

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Loved Burnout and really liked NFS Rivals too but then they started their edgier narratives, which aside from myself not being keen on that, it also raised the age certification ratings and I was cautious about buying an arcade racer that I might not be able to sit down and play with or in front of my young kids.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Misery, AZ
This, just closed off tracks through beatiful Scenery with Shiny Expensive Supercars.

All those terrible Fast & Furious oriented storylines can F*ck off.
As much as I love a NFS HP 2 but new gen, as long as the Fast movies make money, the tuner side of things will continue I think. It's basically leaving money on the table, honestly, you can keep the body kits and rims, just don't overdo it with NOS and B3D and I think we have a winner.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Great news, I like Burnout Paradise a lot and its one of my favourite racing games. Its interesting what strategy for Need for Speed brand EA has - racing games as a genre is not so big and nothing indicates that the customer preferences are going to change. Burnout may be better for now as a not so well burnt-out brand.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
just kill it honestly, the brand is dead. It only took 10+ years of abuse.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Msk / SPb, Russia
-Rivals: They only had half a year to make it using assets from the last 3 games and reup them to Frostbite.
-Heat: Goes back to the Blackbox 2000 era of games and clear of bullshit, mistakes from the last 2 games keep people from getting this and EA freaks out, hence today. Still no DLC or notable updates compared to 2 year old Forza Horizon 4
It's a baffling one because there is no vision for this franchise in EA right now. They don't know what to do with it. They just throw shit at the wall hoping that something will stick, taking it from NFS's own legacy mostly instead of thinking about how a modern real car arcade racer may actually look like (FH3/4 are good examples here but they are far from perfect).
NFS 2015's issue wasn't always online btw (although it was an issue) it was the open world grind which you inevitably hit at some point forcing you to re-do previously completed events. And the rest of the list was just garbage (I've skipped Heat though, can't play this series anymore).

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand EA's reluctance to try Burnout again given how directionless and poorly received Need for Speed has been for years. It must be a far more reliable money-maker than we would think.

Last edited:

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Feels bad. They did two good and two mediocre NFS games, but it's admirable since they always seemed to be meeting absurdly tight deadlines. Pretty much like Blackbox before them. It feels like they crunched them to death.

EA doesn't deserve this franchise.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I really do not understand EA's reluctance to try Burnout again given how directionless and poorly received Need for Speed has been for years. It must be a reliable money-maker.
Don't forget that Burnout doesn't even require a single car license! This company's management is mind-boggling.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Great news, Heat was ok but probably the worst game I played from 2019.

Under Ghost Games the handling model has continued to be garbage and it stopped NFS Heat from being a really solid arcade racer.

Rumenapp

Nov 9, 2017
Even with the short dev time Rivals was great, mixing racer and police felt great and was almost as good as HP 2010.

2015 handling was garbage for me but the night time felt really good and the graphics were awesome. Cops were practically non existent because the chases were over as soon as it started.

Payback was flat as all hell, handling was a bit better than 2015 but it didn´t felt good. Cops were boring again. There was grinding to be done because of the cards but that was manageable.

Heat is simply great, Underground 3 in all but name. Handling feels good again, graphics during the day can look good in certain conditions and are awesome at night. Cops are back in full force in the night time, feels really good to play. The only thing bothering me is that once you reach level 50 there´s not much incentive to play at night besides the high heat races for some high end parts. Story is short but i really don´t play NFS for the story.

Now Criterion is back again at the helm, HP 2010 is my favorite NFS, spent so many hours in that game. Mixing racers and cops felt good despite the closed tracks.

MW 2012 was Burnout Paradise in all but name the way it was structured, felt great to play too but a downgrade coming from HP 2010.

The studio heads from the Paradise/HP/MW era are no longer in the studio for a long time and Criterion haven´t produced a title of their own for a long time too so i´m not optimistic.

Last edited:

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Wonder what this means for their new IP. Criterion always deserved better than what they got after Burnout Paradise (which still outdoes most open world racers) and while my interest in NFS is definitely up because of this, it only makes the lack of Burnout hurt more.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand why some people are happy about this (regarding the future of the NFS franchise), it also makes me sad because it probably means a considerable amount of people at Ghost Games will be out of a job. It is hard to find a job in the games industry in Gothenburg, and if you have your family there it kind of sucks having to move.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Can we have an actual arcade racer please? I want to get properly sideways. Tired of simcade racers like NFS and Forza Horizon.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
E

Now Criterion is back again at the helm, HP 2010 is my favorite NFS, spent so many hours in that game. Mixing racers and cops felt good despite the closed tracks.
Yes, Although I am not a fan of the Drift heavy handling model in general they Nailed it with that one. Sliding through the long corners at high speed was very addictive.

Once in A while I replay that game and it is still a fun experience.

LossAversion

Oct 28, 2017
I wanna go back to the arcadey and precise handling models found in the early Black Box games. The cars in Need For Speed just haven't been very fun to control for the past decade.