• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes, 23 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: production began in 2019, says Horii)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Console wars?

I’m talking here reasonably.

If they want to have sales in the west which is very important these days no matter what it used to be before about releasing main DQ mainly on dominated console in Japan... they will want it to be on PS console and PC.

This is not console wars.. this is common sense.
That's a strange assumption to make tbh. They care about the sales in Japan first. I'm not sure what made you think otherwise. This ain't Final Fantasy.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
These days their strategy for Dragon Quest is largely Multiplatform and includes but clearly isn't limited to whatever's the most popular. What'll likely happen is Horii will pick a platform he wants to design the game for, whether it's the Switch, Switch 2, PS4, PS5, or Smartphones, and it'll be scaled up or down to other platforms from there. We may never even know what the "main" platform is unless it's pointed out, because it's mattering less at this point.

Not sure why people are arguing about whether it'll be on this or that, DQX and DQXI can be played a bunch of different platforms, chances are DQXII will be too and announced for multiple platforms at once. It doesn't need to be specifically tailored to the Switch or PS4 or whatever, regardless of the "main" hardware it's a safe bet that Square Enix will try to ensure it's available on more than one platform even if the others are less capable.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
These days their strategy for Dragon Quest is largely Multiplatform and includes but clearly isn't limited to whatever's the most popular. What'll likely happen is Horii will pick a platform he wants to design the game for, whether it's the Switch, Switch 2, PS4, PS5, or Smartphones, and it'll be scaled up or down to other platforms from there. We may never even know what the "main" platform is unless it's pointed out, because it's mattering less at this point.

Not sure why people are arguing about whether it'll be on this or that, DQX and DQXI can be played a bunch of different platforms, chances are DQXII will be too and announced for multiple platforms at once. It doesn't need to be specifically tailored to the Switch or PS4 or whatever, regardless of the "main" hardware it's a safe bet that Square Enix will try to ensure it's available on more than one platform even if the others are less capable.
The issue is it took them 2 years to downscale DQXI to the market leader in Japan. If they want the brand to stay relevant that's not a mistake that can be repeated.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

Yea. I am surprised to see so little mention of this being on mobile as part of the mutil platform release ; I think that's more likely than it being a Switch/ps exclusive release.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. I am surprised to see so little mention of this being on mobile as part of the mutil platform release ; I think that's more likely than it being a Switch/ps exclusive release.
It will be designed for switch/ mobile and then upscale imo.
I actually think mobile is less likely now than it was when DQXI was in development. The market for premium products on mobile has completely evaporated.

Unless DQXII is F2P...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch 2 specs are likely being decided now as well .great.timing and I hope we get a day and date release on this one as I have.little interest in playing a console rpg tied to my tv where I have to grind alot

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is it took them 2 years to downscale DQXI to the market leader in Japan. If they want the brand to stay relevant that's not a mistake that can be repeated.
Seems more on the Switch being a young platform and accordingly, its UE4 support not being fully up to par at the time from what I've been able to tell. As that's a resolved problem I don't think there's much reason why that scenario would happen again today.

inner-G

Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I may actually skip this one

Really put me off by not bringing all of the DQXI content to PC.

Square Enix is on my bad list

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more on the Switch being a young platform and accordingly, its UE4 support not being fully up to par on time from what I've been able to tell. As that's a resolved problem I don't think there's much reason why that scenario would happen again today.
DQXII will probably come out after the Switch's successor is on the market so we will be in the exact same scenario.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think the same, i didn't say it will be the best decision (far from it) but its what i expect to happen.
we will see i guess.
It's not the entire company direction though, SE puts out more Switch games than Xbox games for example. And the Enix subgroup puts out nearly everything on Switch, the only notable thing it's missed this gen from them is Nier Auto.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
DQXII will probably come out after the Switch's successor is on the market so we will be in the exact same scenario.
The other systems seem poised to carry on pretty well from their predecessors in terms of development to get things moving faster. I guess I shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt on this but I would hope Nintendo's is the same and they won't put themselves in a position such that common engines, especially one the Japanese development industry in particular is gravitating towards, will need a lengthy stretch of time to have stable enough support to be used with major games...

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Console wars?

If they want to have sales in the west which is very important these days no matter what it used to be before about releasing main DQ mainly on dominated console in Japan... they will want it to be on PS console and PC.

then maybe they should have made some effort in making DQ11 a success like DQ8 and 9 were

I wonder whether DQXII might end up on PS5 or not hmm
it will. it might just be an upport however

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Console wars?

Japanese multiplats are generally selling best on Switch in the west too though. The "for the west" narrative doesn't work against Switch, it actually strengthens it.

Oct 28, 2017
This was my first Dragon Quest game and I thought it was a well produced mediocre jrpg. The difficulty and complexity of combat was way too easy such that I only died a handful of times. I could mash the fight button and win any battle without taking direct action with abilities. I dont think I grinded too many levels. The chosen one story sounds like its central to the series but it's not interesting or fun to me. And the dialogue was awkward and hackneyed. In spite of all that the visuals and wacky monster designs were endearing. Having more choice over my armor and weapon appearance would be cool too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first Dragon Quest game and I thought it was a well produced mediocre jrpg. The difficulty and complexity of combat was way too easy such that I only died a handful of times. I could mash the fight button and win any battle without taking direct action with abilities. I dont think I grinded too many levels. The chosen one story sounds like its central to the series but it's not interesting or fun to me. And the dialogue was awkward and hackneyed. In spite of all that the visuals and wacky monster designs were endearing. Having more choice over my armor and weapon appearance would be cool too.
What's the future like? Are there real hoverboards?

Oct 27, 2017
He owns partial rights to the series, if I heard correctly, so that's not going to happen. Better thing to hope for is that he dies soon so he doesn't get involved, which is possible seeing that he's 88 years old.
Damn, what is wrong with you?

In relation to the soundtrack though, i'm hoping they heard the complaints and that whatever they use for the next one is less repetitive and fully orchastrated.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what is wrong with you?

In relation to the soundtrack though, i'm hoping they heard the complaints and that whatever they use for the next one is less repetitive and fully orchastrated.
Read my follow up comments

He literally laughed at the very notion of LGBT kids killing themselves, on live television no less.

Edit: By the way, since I was one of the first people who mentioned him and his death, I want to make it clear that I don't desire his death. What I stated in relation to the comment I was quoting was that he was never going to leave Dragon Quest until he dies, that those who are hoping for Square Enix to replace him for the next game are better off hoping he dies soon since that's the only scenario in which they'll replace him because he owns part of the series.

I think he's a shitty old man who's completely disgusting, but I'm not going to wish for his death or hope he dies. In fact, I think it's better for Dragon Quest fans to ride it out since he's not going to be around forever, and the next mainline game might be his last.

inner-G

Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Japanese multiplats are generally selling best on Switch in the west too though. The "for the west" narrative doesn't work against Switch, it actually strengthens it.
Which ones? Most of the Japanese multiplat's I've bought lately aren't even on Switch.

(Devil May Cry 5, RE2 Remake, Ace Combat 6)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that this wasn't an announcement of the title. They just said that they're preparing for the new title, which could mean that it's on pre-production or just in a planning phase.

MegaXZero

Jun 21, 2018
Xenoblade 2 did better than DQ11 in the West. If Square continues to put in no effort for marketing the franchise in the West, they'll need to put the next one on the Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Which ones? Most of the Japanese multiplat's I've bought lately aren't even on Switch.

(Devil May Cry 5, RE2 Remake, Ace Combat 6)
Games that are multiplat with Switch and JRPGs in particular (Disgaea 5, Ys VIII, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Altelier games, etc). DQXI in all likelihood is going to do more on Switch than it did on PS4 in the west too.

Maybe if it doesn't even get the big Japanese games, it's not the best to judge it as the best-selling platform for japanese games? Idk
Well if you want to go this direction then biggest Japanese games in the industry are mainly Switch exclusives actually. And nothing Japanese on PS4 even comes close to them.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 did better than DQ11 in the West. If Square continues to put in no effort for marketing the franchise in the West, they'll need to put the next one on the Switch.
They'll put it there regardless. IX was a DS game and XI had a 3DS version. Dragon Quest is always available to the most popular system in Japan and they already are making sure to release as many DQ games as possible for Switch, it's completely different from FF that targets high end systems and the west.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Always excited to play a new Dragon Quest game. This one will probably launch on Switch and PS4/PS5 day one so I'll have a pretty difficult choice to make. Will probably end up getting both like with 11...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
DQVIII and XI are the only DQ I really liked, so i'm between curious and cautious.
My two favorites as well. Was really glad to finally get another one very much like VIII. DQXI was gorgeous on the Pro too, so I hope we get another one pushing these kinds of visuals. Probably be PS5/Switch since it sounds like it's barely started development, and then later come to PC.
Hopefully we get a proper orchestral soundtrack, like with VIII, right from the start next time though.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
The other systems seem poised to carry on pretty well from their predecessors in terms of development to get things moving faster. I guess I shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt on this but I would hope Nintendo's is the same and they won't put themselves in a position such that common engines, especially one the Japanese development industry in particular is gravitating towards, will need a lengthy stretch of time to have stable enough support to be used with major games...
The Switch uses pretty standard hardware and UE4 was already supported on Tegra chipsets. That's why the same business division that makes Dragon Quest could develop Octopath Traveler. The issue with DQXI is that they designed the game around the PS4 specs and were not able to port it to Switch unless Epic made massive optimizations to the engine.

The same thing would inevitably happen if they design DQXII around the specs of the PS5.

DQ11 team recruiting for new HD title
OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
DQ 12 will definitely come to a handheld, because that's where the majority of the sales will be in Japan (and by extension, the world).

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Horii mentioned that he's been thinking about 'dreams' as a concept. So, maybe this will be a little like DQ6. That would be neat. DQ is a multiplatform series going forward so expect to see DQ12 on consoles big and small.