• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes, 35 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: DQ11 team recruiting for new HD title)

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Do we have a timeline for the planning phase of DQ11 and how long that took to the reveal in July 2015?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think anyone is saying making the game for ps5 and pc is stupid. it'll 100% come to those platforms. it's just that making a game for lower specs and up porting to those platforms is a much easier and sensible approach than starting to target the very high specs of next gen consoles at this point. for a conservative series like DQ where most of its sales come from japan and considering switch's dominance in the market, it wouldn't be very smart to not target it as the main platform for the game.

It worked for DQ11 though.
Gimping the game to accomodate for Switch isn't a great idea. If they have to make 2 versions, so be it.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
International sales for this franchise haven't been very reliable, tho. I guess we'll see.
at some point they have to realize it's just not gonna be as big in other markets as it is in japan. they should be happy with the 1 or two million that a western release can add to the games total sales.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
It worked for DQ11 though.
Gimping the game to accomodate for Switch isn't a great idea. If they have to make 2 versions, so be it.
clearly it didn't work, that's why the 3ds and switch versions exist. if they had just relied on ps4 (and ps4/pc in the west) they would have gone from 4-6 millions for past mainline titles to less than two million for 11, which would have been a disastrous result for a mainline title. if ps4/pc wasn't enough for 11, ps5/pc won't be enough for 12, specially since the home console market is getting smaller and smaller in japan and ps5 will see a decline over ps4.
the two versions made sense for ps4 and 3ds cuz the same game on both platforms just wasn't possible, that won't be the case with switch and ps5.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Right, so that data is outdated.

clearly it didn't work, that's why the 3ds and switch versions exist. if they had just relied on ps4 (and ps4/pc in the west) they would have gone from 4-6 millions for past mainline titles to less than two million for 11, which would have been a disastrous result for a mainline title. if ps4/pc wasn't enough for 11, ps5/pc won't be enough for 12, specially since the home console market is getting smaller and smaller in japan and ps5 will see a decline over ps4.
the two versions made sense for ps4 and 3ds cuz the same game on both platforms just wasn't possible, that won't be the case with switch and ps5.

First of all: I'm not advocating for a PS4/PC release only.

Second: I think it's a bit more complicated than just "it did 1.6 millions on PS4". It's difficult to know how the result would've been if it was the only SKU. But it wasn't. People had a choice.

Third: And it was far more difficult to make 2 games so different compared to make a game targeting a higher end system then gutting it for Switch. It worked for DQXI.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Right, so that data is outdated.

First of all: I'm not advocating for a PS4/PC release only.

Second: I think it's a bit more complicated than just "it did 1.6 millions on PS4". It's difficult to know how the result would've been if it was the only SKU. But it wasn't. People had a choice.

Third: And it was far more difficult to make 2 games so different compared to make a game targeting a higher end system then gutting it for Switch. It worked for DQXI.
it's one thing targeting ps4 specs and down porting to switch, it would be much harder to target ps5 specs and then downgrade the game without it looking like ass. targeting switch and then up porting to ps5 to make it run at 4k/60 fps is much more sensible.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
it's one thing targeting ps4 specs and down porting to switch, it would be much harder to target ps5 specs and then downgrade the game without it looking like ass. targeting switch and then up porting to ps5 to make it run at 4k/60 fps is much more sensible.

Targeting PS5 specs doesnt mean pushing for it. There's a middle ground between the two. There's no need to aim for a lower target than PS4.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Targeting PS5 specs doesnt mean pushing for it. There's a middle ground between the two. There's no need to aim for a lower target than PS4.
it depends on where they expect to see most of their sales. why target the hardware that's going to account for a small portion of the sales, when doing the opposite would be easier?

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
it's not like lowering the visual spectacle is something that DQ hasn't done before. they did it when going from 8 to 9, and ended up selling even more. (8 later ended up higher thanks to the 3ds version)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
it depends on where they expect to see most of their sales. why target the hardware that's going to account for a small portion of the sales, when doing the opposite would be easier?
there is when you expect the majority of your sales to come from that lower target platform

Not when you can aim for a middle between the two.

it's not like lowering the visual spectacle is something that DQ hasn't done before. they did it when going from 8 to 9, and ended up selling even more. (8 later ended up higher thanks to the 3ds version)

And that was terrible.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So don’t buy DQ XII at launch and wait for the definitive edition the following year with content that are not going to be ported on launch version, gotcha.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Make it for all platforms from the beginning if possible. PS, XB, PC, and Switch. Would sell amazing if they did so.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Make it for all platforms from the beginning if possible. PS, XB, PC, and Switch. Would sell amazing if they did so.
It sold rather bad on PS and PC in the west as is. How much do you think a Xbox version would do worldwide? Seeing DQs reliance on Japan and the Xbox's non-presence there as well as the overall bad western DQXI sales, I'd say a Xbox release probably isn't really worth the effort if it's only going to sell 100k worldwide on there. Don't really see them bother.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It sold rather bad on PS and PC in the west as is. How much do you think a Xbox version would do worldwide? Seeing DQs reliance on Japan and the Xbox's non-presence there as well as the overall bad western DQXI sales, I'd say a Xbox release probably isn't really worth the effort if it's only going to sell 100k worldwide on there. Don't really see them bother.
People thought Nier wouldnt do well on Xbox either, and they were wrong. I cant imagine it would be too hard to port tbh, but more specifically the Switch has a good chance of doing very well. The more platforms its on, the better it will simply put. By limiting platforms, you're limiting your base, which is the entire point of multiplatform.

Also Game Pass is always an option, which could do wonders for DQ on both PC and XB.

Last edited:

Bran-dono

Aug 22, 2018
Wonder where XII will take the series to set it apart.

Honestly if no DQ were never made again, the series saw it's ultimate incarnation with XI.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder where XII will take the series to set it apart.
honestly i think it'll be a pretty iterative sequel. the jump they made for 11 was so massive, i think they'll stick to that formula for at least one more game and reuse a lot from it. then for 13 they can do something different. another online game, maybe.

jaggies

Oct 30, 2017
So don’t buy DQ XII at launch and wait for the definitive edition the following year with content that are not going to be ported on launch version, gotcha.
They’ll release it on Switch in 2022 and then a prettier version on PS5 in 2023, and then all the people who were screaming bloody murder about SE misleading them about DQ XI S will be suspiciously silent.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i think it'll be a pretty iterative sequel. the jump they made for 11 was so massive, i think they'll stick to that formula for at least one more game and reuse a lot from it. then for 13 they can do something different. another online game, maybe.
nah, I think 12 will go the DQ9 route

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully all versions can be released at the same time and we can have the orchestral tracks...

Ahhhh who am I kidding I'll just get that shit on pc and mod the hell out of it because we all know that ain't happening

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
People thought Nier wouldnt do well on Xbox either, and they were wrong. I cant imagine it would be too hard to port tbh, but more specifically the Switch has a good chance of doing very well. The more platforms its on, the better it will simply put. By limiting platforms, you're limiting your base, which is the entire point of multiplatform.

Also Game Pass is always an option, which could do wonders for DQ on both PC and XB.
Yeah, I get what you generally mean with Nier and one should never say that another JRPG success on Xbox is impossible, but looking at all things, DQ succeeding on Xbox seems very unlikely. Nier's also a bad example in that case, as it sold well on PS/PC already before coming to Xbox and doing fine. DQ sold meh on PS/PC, so chances are it would sell even worse on Xbox.

Like I said, everything's possible, even if the possibility is super slim, but with DQ there is a certain precedent something like Nier didn't really have. SE would've to really up their western game with DQ to land a hit, on Xbox even more so than on the other platforms.

SuperFakerBros

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PC port still managed to sell between 200k to 500k and those sales are nothing to scoff at.
It isn't but it's rather obvious that the majority of the games sales come from Japan, where handhelds reign supreme, so it makes the most sense to target the dominant system over there with the PS5/PC versions having superior performance and resolution

Oct 25, 2017
The PC port still managed to sell between 200k to 500k and those sales are nothing to scoff at.
Again, nobody said that they shouldn't release on PC, but what that poster is suggesting is that the only console release in Japan (where those games sell in the millions) should be a PS5 version (with maaaybe a Switch version), which is frankly absurd.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It isn't but it's rather obvious that the majority of the games sales come from Japan, where handhelds reign supreme, so it makes the most sense to target the dominant system over there with the PS5/PC versions having superior performance and resolution
Again, nobody said that they shouldn't release on PC, but what that poster is suggesting is that the only console release in Japan (where those games sell in the millions) should be a PS5 version (with maaaybe a Switch version), which is frankly absurd.
Oh, I misunderstood the context then. My apologies.

they kind of are.
what is the source for that number btw?
Steamspy - which I know is not reliable any longer, but they're still indicative I gather.