Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: DQ11 team recruiting for new HD title)

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
making a new Dragon Quest for PS5 first would just be a repeat of DQ11. SE ain't that stupid
yeah they're not gonna make the same mistake again, shooting for high specs of a new console that's not even out yet (specially one that won't be big in their main market any time soon) is not a smart move. the most sensible option is to aim for the lower specs of switch (which is already the dominant platform in the market and will be way bigger by the time 12 is ready) and then up-port it to PS5 which will easily run the game at 4K 60fps.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
yeah they're not gonna make the same mistake again, shooting for high specs of a new console that's not even out yet (specially one that won't be big in their main market any time soon) is not a smart move. the most sensible option is to aim for the lower specs of switch (which is already the dominant platform in the market and will be way bigger by the time 12 is ready) and then up-port it to PS5 which will easily run the game at 4K 60fps.
by the time DQ12 is out, a Switch 2 will probably have been released

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
by the time DQ12 is out, a Switch 2 will probably have been released
i doubt it, i think 12 will be ready for the final year of the current switch in ~2022. and even if the new console is close to being released, BC would make it not a big deal to release a major game for the old platform at that point.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I hope SE also re-release DQVII and VIII for Switch. Feels like they need better graphics than being stuck on 300p on 3DS or worse. Would double dip for sure. Regarding DQXII, most likely they release a PS5, Switch version to get the most sales and it’ll probably be a single player adventurer. I’m already struggling trying tonplay DQX in japanese on the Switch.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope SE also re-release DQVII and VIII for Switch. Feels like they need better graphics than being stuck on 300p on 3DS or worse. Would double dip for sure. Regarding DQXII, most likely they release a PS5, Switch version to get the most sales and it’ll probably be a single player adventurer. I’m already struggling trying tonplay DQX in japanese on the Switch.
i really think from this point until 12 is ready, they should really work to make past DQ games available to the massive userbase of ps4/pc/switch. FF did it with multiplatform ports of 7/8/9/10/12, no reason for DQ to not do the same. all the titles available on mobile would do really well on other platforms.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they're already finishing up pre-production? That's a lot further ahead than I was expecting.

Oct 30, 2017
lol at people who are calling making DQXII for PS5 and PC is a mistake and stupid.

You know they can always port the game to other consoles like DQXI case right?

It will be “STUPID” if they skipped PS5 and PC.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
lol at people who are calling making DQXII for PS5 and PC is a mistake and stupid.

i don't think anyone is saying making the game for ps5 and pc is stupid. it'll 100% come to those platforms. it's just that making a game for lower specs and up porting to those platforms is a much easier and sensible approach than starting to target the very high specs of next gen consoles at this point. for a conservative series like DQ where most of its sales come from japan and considering switch's dominance in the market, it wouldn't be very smart to not target it as the main platform for the game.

Philippo

Oct 28, 2017
Milan, Italy
Wait, they're already finishing up pre-production? That's a lot further ahead than I was expecting.
Is it really that surprising?
This is still gonna be on UE4, an engine they now know much better, and already have lots of assets ready (monsters, NPCs, textures and such) from XI.
And XI took something like 3 years to make.
I know that DQ takes a long time with scripts and recordings and such but i would expect XII no further than 2021 imho.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that surprising?
This is still gonna be on UE4, an engine they now know much better, and already have lots of assets ready (monsters, NPCs, textures and such) from XI.
And XI took something like 3 years to make.
I know that DQ takes a long time with scripts and recordings and such but i would expect XII no further than 2021 imho.
With how ridiculously meaty these games are, and the size of their scripts... Yeah, it is to me :P

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they had a female hero in XII. It's been quite a long time since we had one in a single player DQ though so I'm not holding my breath.

Electro

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
i don't think anyone is saying making the game for ps5 and pc is stupid. it'll 100% come to those platforms. it's just that making a game for lower specs and up porting to those platforms is a much easier and sensible approach than starting to target the very high specs of next gen consoles at this point. for a conservative series like DQ where most of its sales come from japan and considering switch's dominance in the market, it wouldn't be very smart to not target it as the main platform for the game.
Imo it will be again first announced for PS and PC.
After the teams experience with UE4, the game should also be done faster and then they can focus on Switch.

But that's only my gut feeling.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017

unless the western release is simultaneous and they actually advertise it, that would be a mistake as they're giving up the one region it does best in

I know people are gonna bring up Monster Hunter, but that's a multiplayer title that plays towards western strengths. maybe if they made a DQ9-esque game they can reap those same benefits

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
After the teams experience with UE4, the game should also be done faster and then they can focus on Switch.

they had to add 3ds to 11's platforms because ps4's userbase wasn't big enough to ensure the success of a mainline DQ game. the home console market is declining and i doubt ps5 will do as well as ps4 in japan. pc is an irreverent platform in japan as well. i really don't see them banking on ps5 for a successful launch for 12 in japan.

Oct 25, 2017

It’ll be PS4/Switch first, then PS4/PC outside Japan, then a definitive version on Switch again somehow because history is never learned.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
XI is literally the last one that didn't o.O That said, I'm all for it.
X was an MMO right? And I'm pretty sure 9 also had multiplayer and you created your hero. The last time I remember them having a set female hero was 4 (who is way better than the male hero and I am still bitter she isn't in smash.)

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
yeah they're not gonna make the same mistake again, shooting for high specs of a new console that's not even out yet
"Next-gen" probably means it will be also available on next-gen platforms alongside with current-gen consoles. Btw, they don't even need to develop this game for next-gen HW, since there will be BC. For example they could just make for PS4 only and it would be run on PS5 just fine.

And even if they are really making it for next-gen specifically, they already have almost everything for that - same engine, same tools, same HW architecture, similar or even the same API. It would be easiest transition of all time.

NSESN

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody is saying that is stupid to make XII for PS and PC, thay are saying that is stupid to make the game PS and PC only

Asakim

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about the music producer. Separation of art and artist.
This is one series that would benefit greatly if it separated the artist from his ability to shit all over the art's soundtrack. It's not even about him being trash as a human being. His new music is a crime against sound in DQ11 and makes it a chore to play through. Thank god they're adding in the ability to switch the overworld theme to one of his actual enjoyable songs in the switch version.

Isayas

Jun 10, 2018
I feel like if DQ were popular in the west then PS4 and PC wouldn't be the gimped version but it is not. *Sigh, this is why I wish Ninty had more power on their side.

Lonely1

Oct 26, 2017
The "Dragon Quest to fans worldwide" bit says it all. PS5/Scarlet/PC with simultaneous release in the west. Also, Nintendo is quiet. 10M+, here we come!

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Now that they embraced the modern techs, i'm really curious of what they'll manage to achieve with that great art style and next gen consoles.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
PS5/PC yes please! Optional downport to Switch on release by Panic Button. Makes everyone happy.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Might not be "smart" but if they want to go cutting edge, go right ahead. More eye candy for me, and I'm not the one appropriating the budget.