• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 24 minutes, 13 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: DQ11 team recruiting for new HD title)

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, there's really no contest. nintendo has done a lot over the years to help with the series' popularity outside japan. they've published a large amount of DQ games, all the way back to the first game on the NES.

1986 - Dragon Warrior (NES)
2010 - Dragon Quest IX (DS)
2011 - Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (DS)
2011 - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)
2016 - Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS)
2017 - Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS)
2018 - Dragon Quest Builders (Switch)
2019 - Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)
2019 - Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (Switch)

And the series are in the niche side anyway, even with all that published games.

Isayas

Jun 10, 2018
They also make/made fun of the FE characters in Smash and it boosted the awarness and sales of the series regardless.
They also make/made fun of the FE characters in Smash and it boosted the awarness and sales of the series regardless.
I hope I'm wrong, Lich. I don't mind DQ to be popular here but I want Horii to stick to his roots. Although the game, even though I'm cool with it, doesn't have to stick to only midi. They should have an option for both.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the reason why I don't think DQ will thrive in the west. Smash players were hyped for Cloud Strife but make fun of the Hero? Hahaha.
that's doesn't have much to do with why DQ has problems in the west. DQ's western history has been rife with poor handling. which is sad because the series was off to a good start. and then the ball was fumbled and fumbled and fumbled until DQ 8 and 9. then was fumbled with DQ11

Isayas

Jun 10, 2018
that's doesn't have much to do with why DQ has problems in the west. DQ's western history has been rife with poor handling. which is sad because the series was off to a good start. and then the ball was fumbled and fumbled and fumbled until DQ 8 and 9. then was fumbled with DQ11
I can't see modern gamers being into a series like DQ despite the marketing. Maybe I am just rigid and jaded about these modern gamers.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see modern gamers being into a series like DQ despite the marketing. Maybe I am just rigid and jaded about these modern gamers.
western fans are receptive to turn-based jrpgs when they're well made and well marketed, look at persona 5 or octopath traveler.

Isayas

Jun 10, 2018
western fans are receptive to turn-based jrpgs when they're well made and well marketed, look at persona 5 or octopath traveler.
Persona are had a established base here since 2008 and Octopath traveler looks like FFVI and any SNES RPG. DQ is a whole other beast. Even on the era I find that they are people not into DQ like that.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Persona are had a established base here since 2008 and Octopath traveler looks like FFVI and any SNES RPG. DQ is a whole other beast. Even on the era I find that they are people not into DQ like that.
Dragon Quest has had 2 million sellers in the west. and they both got there because effort was put into marketing them. which SE didn't do for DQ11. there's probably a cap on how high DQ can go with it's style, but I don't think we reached it yet, largely for the lack of trying

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
true, but i think DQ can do quite well outside japan if handled right. DQ9 on the DS did very well, for example. i'm quite optimistic about XI S doing really well on switch outside japan, we'll see.

Isayas

Jun 10, 2018
Dragon Quest has had 2 million sellers in the west. and they both got there because effort was put into marketing them. which SE didn't do for DQ11. there's probably a cap on how high DQ can go with it's style, but I don't think we reached it yet, largely for the lack of trying
They were on a handheld that was breaking records.

Man, what DQVIII? Why didn't that sold like gangbusters?

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
That is good but I think SE will want to sell more.
so why didn't they put in the effort for DQ11? it came after another turn-based RPG sold millions, it had a graphical aesthetic that was up to par with contemporaries on the system, it played like one of the previous million sellers, and was now on a platform that thirsted for big budgeted JRPGs

so why did it sell worse than a game that looks like a rose-tinted SNES game? because SE didn't put it on the pedestal it deserved. SE wanted DQ11 be the game that expanded the audience in the west. they sure as hell didn't try to make it.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
so why didn't they put in the effort for DQ11? it came after another turn-based RPG sold millions, it had a graphical aesthetic that was up to par with contemporaries on the system, it played like one of the previous million sellers, and was now on a platform that thirsted for big budgeted JRPGs

so why did it sell worse than a game that looks like a rose-tinted SNES game? because SE didn't put it on the pedestal it deserved. SE wanted DQ11 be the game that expanded the audience in the west. they sure as hell didn't try to make it.
I don't know if they wanted that, but assuming they did, it's not their fault. SE America is a loose cannon and does not listen to SE when it concerns Enix properties.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if they wanted that, but assuming they did, it's not their fault. SE America is a loose cannon and does not listen to SE when it concerns Enix properties.
it's something Horii talked about in the lead-up to the western launch at least. and somebody paid for that Edge article. still think it's weird for them to have just given up when they know they could, at least, achieve previous highs

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
it's something Horii talked about in the lead-up to the western launch at least. and somebody paid for that Edge article. still think it's weird for them to have just given up when they know they could, at least, achieve previous highs
Which time? The time it was a pack-in for a Final Fantasy demo? Or the time Nintendo payed the marketing bill?

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
I think if they follow XIS up with visible releases localized in a timely manner we might see some growth in the west again. But they have to be consistent. If they just let the series fall into a 5 year coma here again it will undo the work. I've already seen more interest in the games on social media with Hero in Smash, they just need to capitalize on it.

The next DQ Monsters game stars Erik and Mia from XI, so if we get that release and XIS does well hopefully that will be the start of some kind of snowball effect.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I think if they follow XIS up with visible releases localized in a timely manner we might see some growth in the west again. But they have to be consistent. If they just let the series fall into a 5 year coma here again it will undo the work. I've already seen more interest in the games on social media with Hero in Smash, they just need to capitalize on it.
i agree, right now that the series has some momentum with builders 2, hero in smash and XI S, they have to figure out a way to keep the momentum going otherwise in a few years when 12 is ready they're gonna have another challenge in marketing the game. seems to me like the opportunity is here to re-release the older games on ps4/switch/pc (at the very least an HD version of 8, one of the most liked entries in the west), but they probably won't do that and just put DQ into hibernation again.
it would also be great to see them be able to pull off WW launches like every other major series out there, but i guess the massive size of DQ scripts makes that really hard.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
i agree, right now that the series has some momentum with builders 2, hero in smash and XI S, they have to figure out a way to keep the momentum going otherwise in a few years when 12 is ready they're gonna have another challenge in marketing the game. seems to me like the opportunity is here to re-release the older games on ps4/switch/pc (at the very least an HD version of 8, one of the most liked entries in the west), but they probably won't do that and just put DQ into hibernation again.
it would also be great to see the be able to pull off WW launches like every other major series out there, but i guess the massive size of DQ scripts makes that really hard.
there's a new DQ Monsters game coming. they can pitch that to the pokemon crowd

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
right. have the platforms for that been announced?
the past 3 DQM games haven't been localized, but i guess this one most likely will.
no, but I don't think it's hard to guess the systems. I think they'll try to localize this one (or give it to nintendo) given the costs of making these games

Monolithsoft

Nov 1, 2017
true, but i think DQ can do quite well outside japan if handled right. DQ9 on the DS did very well, for example. i'm quite optimistic about XI S doing really well on switch outside japan, we'll see.
Hope it'll do well. It would be sad to see this hard work and push not pay off at least "enough".

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
small update, Horii mentions that he has weekly meetings about the new dragon quest. i guess development is full speed ahead.

Transistor

This is not going to go the way you think
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud City
I wonder if they're gonna make people mod in a good soundtrack again, or have to wait a long time later to get it included on a different console

Transistor

This is not going to go the way you think
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud City
it's not like the soundtrack on switch was that much better. the compositions themselves suck. it's not really something orchestration can fix.
The orchestration at least didn't sound like it was something farted out of a Super Nintendo. I normally game on PS4, but I specifically bought it on PC so I could get rid of that midi garbage.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Honestly I think it's time to move on to a new composer. Sugiyama sucks ass as a person and is obviously phoning in the music these days and just overall making development and localization a nightmare. Doesn't he even have some successors?

Also sucks how little music there is in DQ11 for long the game is :/

BadWolf

Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 music was an embarrassment, especially when compared to other SE games from this gen like FFXV, Nier:A etc.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think it's time to move on to a new composer. Sugiyama sucks ass as a person and is obviously phoning in the music these days and just overall making development and localization a nightmare. Doesn't he even have some successors?
they can't easily do that. he's still 1/3rd of the IP. he's not an employee of SE that they can replace with someone else.
not to mention he's a well-respected composer in japan and there'll be a lot of angry fans if they went with another composer.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
they can't easily do that. he's still 1/3rd of the IP. he's not an employee of SE that they can replace with someone else.
not to mention he's a well-respected composer in japan and there'll be a lot of angry fans if they went with another composer.
I think it's pretty easy actually. You say "Fuck off Sugiyama." and then hire someone else. Yeah it would probably frustrate some people, but if Final Fantasy can get on with Uematsu, Dragon Quest can get on without Sugiyama. There is no way he's been as tightly involved with recent games as he was with past ones. Dude is pushing 90.

Choppasmith

Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I think it's pretty easy actually. You say "Fuck off Sugiyama." and then hire someone else. Yeah it would probably frustrate some people, but if Final Fantasy can get on with Uematsu, Dragon Quest can get on without Sugiyama. There is no way he's been as tightly involved with recent games as he was with past ones. Dude is pushing 90.
The big difference there is with Final Fantasy music they can easily have someone else come in and do all the iconic themes + original tracks no problem.

Sugiyama owns ALL DQ MUSIC. Lock, stock, and barrel. They can't so much use anything sounding like DQ's iconic themes or jingles without him.

Like imagining of Lucasfilm told John Williams to F off and he took all those Star Wars iconic themes with him (I'm almost certain Williams doesn't own the Star Wars themes like Sugiyama does Dragon Quest but bear with me). I mean, sure, Mandalorian is a pretty "original score" but removing the iconic fanfare or familiar themes would be suicide for the franchise.

I think the best we can hope for is that they do another Dragon Quest Swords and bring in a new composer with Sugiyama "supervising" or bring on his successor, Hayato Matsuo, proper as a formal passing of the torch.

Hey

Feb 19, 2018
I don't want to be that guy ,but DQ12 will have huge potential in visual if they skip switch or at least make a tottally different port to not hold back next gen consoles.

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be that guy ,but DQ12 will have huge potential in visual if they skip switch or at least make a tottally different port to not hold back next gen consoles.
of course, but then they'd lose a huge chunk of sales in japan, the region that matters for DQ. already with the decisions they made for 11 they had to spend several extra years to get it to sell a respectable amount, i don't think they'll repeat that with 12. a ps5 only 12 would sell less than half of past entries, and making a whole different version for switch would be an unnecessary and expensive project. targeting switch and doing an up-port to ps5 running at 4k is a more sensible move.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game will definitely be tailored towards switch or some future iteration

order of the day with DQ is to put it on the best selling console above all else. i don't see japan widely adopting ps5 anytime soon so hopeful scenario is it being a ps4 and switch pro/2/ect game that pulls out some impressive graphical stops. but that's just a hypothetical opposed to whatever dev pipeline they have going here. game could be like 10 years off or whatever