• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 22 hours, 17 minutes, 44 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Dragon Quest XII development preparations are underway (UPDATE: DQ11 team recruiting for new HD title)

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/dragon-quest-walk-announced-for-smartphones-dragon-quest-xii-preparations-underway
At the Dragon Quest Walk announcement event, Dragon Quest series executive producer Yuu Miyake also mentioned the still not formally announced Dragon Quest XII. “By the way, about Dragon Quest XII, which I’m sure is on everyone’s mind—[Yuji] Horii and I are currently making preparations on series developments that will connect to XII. I think it’s still too early, but we would like announce it in some form, so please wait a little while longer.”

UPDATE: the DQ11 team are recruiting for a new title
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/square-enix-dragon-quest-xi-team-hiring-for-next-generation-dragon-quest-title
Square Enix is recruiting a battle planner, facial motion designer, 2D background designer, and technical artist for its Second Development Division team for work on a new Dragon Quest project.

Here is a message from director Takeshi Uchikawa:
The Dragon Quest XI team within the Second Development Division has begun work a new project, starting up on a challenge unique to a Dragon Quest for the next generation.
The mission of this project is to “deliver a new appeal of Dragon Quest to fans worldwide.”
In order to achieve that, we are looking for new “party members” with the same desire.
The planning stages of development have wrapped up, and we are now entering the phase of further improving the game quality.
As a new high-definition Dragon Quest title, why not try to create a new Dragon Quest history that moves players like never before with Yuji Horii and the development team?
We await the applications of developers who love trying new things!

Square Enix previously confirmed that preparations were underway for Dragon Quest XII. It is possible this is the title the company is hiring for.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's super interesting. Maybe they're trying to cut down on the distance between entries? I suppose it has been 2 years since XI released, but still... It feels so soon!

Oct 25, 2017
XI is pretty incredible, so I'm excited for the future of the series.

And yeah sure get a new composer, dude is 88 anyways so this might be his last mainline DQ.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully a world map and not zones. Zones are so much worse than an actual world.

Don't care about the music producer. Separation of art and artist.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Cant wait.

Can never get enough dragon quest.

Edit: We looking at tail end of ps5? Or chance they can get it out sooner this time?

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully it's a full console game like DQXI. And single player.

IX and X were still good games but I want the vanilla cake that is DQVIII/XI again. None of that weird stuff

Anyway, I'm sure it will be a good game regardless. But if they pull that midi soundtrack nonsense again...

Zacmortar

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a world map and not zones. Zones are so much worse than an actual world.

Don't care about the music producer. Separation of art and artist.
Theres no separation, you're supporting his bigotry by saying that.

Its fine to wanna play the games despite his bullshit, but dont parrot that scummy excuse.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I wonder what the next direction will be.

XI was Horii's fulfillment of his dreams. Will XII be a glorified and expanded XI? Or will Enix focus on a more co-op gameplay? After all, IX is the best-selling game in the franchise and was focused on multiplayer.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
That is some interesting wording. Seems a bit early for them to be talking about 12. I wonder what they mean by “connect”

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Here hoping they can get the next one localised a lot faster. I know it’s an old school jrpg but they don’t have to be old school about its localisation and release in the west.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it will be something similar level with DQXI which was amazing (bar music and lack of (Japanese) voice over at launch)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth saying that this part in the presentation they were listing several Dragon Quest projects such as the new CG movie, Builders 2, etc and then made a quick comment saying XII will come eventually in the future, but it's not in development.

I don't think the idea is that it's coming out anytime soon, but more reassuring fans about their commitment to mainline Dragon Quest, even more considering they made a big deal of this event focusing on a mobile game.

But I also think they want to release it in time where the Switch is still hot. That will be where most of their sales will come from.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'll be there day one whenever it comes out. XI is one of the best JRPGs in years. I hope the wait isn't as long as between X and XI.

DQ has never tanked in quality, which is downright amazing given how old and prolific the series is.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait.

Can never get enough dragon quest.

Edit: We looking at tail end of ps5? Or chance they can get it out sooner this time?
I think 2021 is the soonest we can expect it, seeing as XI released mid 2017.
What's the average yearly gap between mainline DQ releases?

I'll be there day one whenever it comes out. XI is one of the best JRPGs in years. I hope the wait isn't as long as between X and XI.

DQ has never tanked in quality, which is downright amazing given how old and prolific the series is.
I've mentioned it before, but the quality control across the series is kind of flabbergasting, even when it comes to spin-offs.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Theres no separation, you're supporting his bigotry by saying that.

Its fine to wanna play the games despite his bullshit, but dont parrot that scummy excuse.
There's literally a million products you consume that some idiot has a hand in. Hope you don't drive a vehicle or ever ride in a vehicle! There's a bigot that works in a gas station im sure of it.

It's easy if it's a high profile product but it you think about it, you better live in a fucking cave and not consume anything if you're that concerned about supporting people with shitty views.

It is unreasonable to boycott a product that took 100s to produce because if you actually felt the way you say you do youd be protesting 24/7 because of the same reasons but it's super convenient to take a stand if everyone else is also behind you.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Since the mid-90s, usually 4-5 years.

It's probably going to be 2021 at the earliest for DQXII, 2022 to be on the safe side. They usually fill in the gaps with a remake and a port or two.
Yeah, I'm confused about how remakes are going to work now though. Anything on the scale of XI (like the sorta teased III) would be a huge undertaking.

They've still got a bunch of subseries anyway, like Builders, Monsters (now on console), Heroes, etc.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it gets a big beautiful console version I’m in. DQ8 and 11 are two of my favourite RPGs ever.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to completely miss the boat on Switch.

Time for the terminal decline to hit the franchise.

Zacmortar

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally a million products you consume that some idiot has a hand in. Hope you don't drive a vehicle or ever ride in a vehicle! There's a bigot that works in a gas station im sure of it.

It's easy if it's a high profile product but it you think about it, you better live in a fucking cave and not consume anything if you're that concerned about supporting people with shitty views.

It is unreasonable to boycott a product that took 100s to produce because if you actually felt the way you say you do youd be protesting 24/7 because of the same reasons but it's super convenient to take a stand if everyone else is also behind you.
The difference is i dont try to pretend im absolved of supporting it by pretending you can seperate art from artist while directly supporting them.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm confused about how remakes are going to work now though. Anything on the scale of XI (like the sorta teased III) would be a huge undertaking.

They've still got a bunch of subseries anyway, like Builders, Monsters (now on console), Heroes, etc.
They could just do ports like DQV PS2 with nicer graphics for most of the games.