• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 8 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes, 42 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Dracula the Undead on the Atari Lynx - my biggest 2019 hidden gem

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Every year there is one or two games I remember as being something I didn’t think I’d be super into, only to realize “well I was wrong”

While playing different games featuring Dracula as a character, someone on the Atari Age forums suggested I check out Dracula the Undead on the Lynx. I figured why not...I’ll see what’s going on with the game.

I was impressed as hell. The game has a ton of atmosphere, a really interesting sepia tone graphic style, a decent story, and some really solid gameplay. Considering it was on the Lynx made it all the more impressive.

Apparently an enhanced port was in the works for the Jaguar CD, but that never happened.

But it definitely went on my list of hidden gems for sure. Curious if anyone else has ever checked this out? Seems pretty obscure considering it’s a Lynx exclusive.

oh and the second game that surprised me last year was Bloodstained...if only because I was super worried it would be another “Mighty Number 9” lol

Dec 6, 2017
US
I played this way back in maybe '01 when a friend game me his Lynx for free as some piece of junk collecting dust in his closet. Very cool game, always liked that style.

This thread reminded me to purchase The Last Door asap.

Metallix87

Nov 1, 2017
I've never heard of this one, but I loved my Lynx II before it broke a couple of years ago. I really should look into getting it fixed. (Batteries exploded inside the compartment).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The Lynx is something of an obscure platform for me. Are there many notable games on the system that are worth playing?

Metallix87

Nov 1, 2017
bummer. I’m sure it can be fixed though!
Yeah, I had started pulling it apart a while back, but never finished. I had to pull it apart as one of the batteries was stuck inside. I'll get around to it, I'm sure.
The Lynx is something of an obscure platform for me. Are there many notable games on the system that are worth playing?
Yeah, I think so. As a kid, I thoroughly enjoyed the arcade ports of Rygar and Toki. There's a Gauntlet game on it I've never owned but have heard positive word about in the past. Then there's Blue Lightning, an AfterBurner clone that was exclusive as a launch title that was pretty solid. Obviously the system didn't enjoy a very long life (on the market for two years?), but the library is pretty decent.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah, I had started pulling it apart a while back, but never finished. I had to pull it apart as one of the batteries was stuck inside. I'll get around to it, I'm sure.

Yeah, I think so. As a kid, I thoroughly enjoyed the arcade ports of Rygar and Toki. There's a Gauntlet game on it I've never owned but have heard positive word about in the past. Then there's Blue Lightning, an AfterBurner clone that was exclusive as a launch title that was pretty solid. Obviously the system didn't enjoy a very long life (on the market for two years?), but the library is pretty decent.
Blue Lightning sounds interesting.

Thanks for the impressions~