• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Dr. Stone (Anime) [OT] Dawn of a new Stone Age

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Super Eyepatch Wolf has a pretty good overview of Dr. Stone 18 minutes and 27 seconds into this video, for those who are interested by the premise but aren't quite feeling these first episodes. Spoilers for those who are already into the series.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the second episode and am just... Really not into this. There are so many dumb details, and the characters all annoy me :(
What details?

The second episode is out.

I hope anime-onlys enjoyed it, because its still easily the roughest part of the series. The mangaka really wanted to set up the conflict ASAP so that he could move things along, at the cost of having some messy pacing so that the story can reach the point where it really starts to pick up steam.
I liked the episode all the way through but maybe partly because the premise is interesting enough to carry it that far?

I thought the end of the episode was straight dope. Was wondering where more conflict would come from and I think that's a very interesting place to go with it.

It's a pretty chill episode giving cool deets, I wouldn't have expected that the show would be particularly disliked up to this point. That's my impression.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What details?

I liked the episode all the way through but maybe partly because the premise is interesting enough to carry it that far?

I thought the end of the episode was straight dope. Was wondering where more conflict would come from and I think that's a very interesting place to go with it.

It's a pretty chill episode giving cool deets, I wouldn't have expected that the show would be particularly disliked up to this point. That's my impression.
I share your sentiment. I absolutely love it and feel the premise makes too much sense. It’s a great matter to discuss, far less black and white than regular shonen’s antagonist ideals.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Super happy with the adaptation so far. VAs are perfect, great pacing, great OP/ED.

Looking forward to seeing impressions from anime-only folks here!

Rand a. Thor

Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is pretty cool so far. Science Bitches VS Adonis Hitler feels a bit one sided, but I really want to see where it goes, cause the idea of speedrunning human civilization is such a damn cool concept for a Shonen.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched the first and second episode. It's pretty great so far. Interesting conflict with them reviving a dude who believes humanity is too evil to restart without him determining who gets to come back.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
The way some of you are describing the beginning are like "Hang in there! It's gonna get good!" Well, it's already good. Love the premise, Senku is fucking great, and Big Oaf is charming, especially his love for the girl.

I love seeing what they've had to do to survive so far, make the wine, etc. I want more. I'm surprised they introduced an antagonist so early, was hoping he'd just be brute force for them.

Anywho, I love it so far. The Opening is my favorite in years.

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Full ED is out and it is stellar

I wonder how I would've taken to this if I had started with the anime. I was very into the manga from the start but for whatever reason the anime doesn't feel like it would've grabbed me as intensely at the beginning. Obviously cannot know for sure though lol.
What I do know is I strongly dislike how revealing the OP is. Maybe it's a result of this being the very first time I watch an anime adaptation of a manga I've been reading since literal day 1 and so I'm just not used to this but it felt like many questions and much of the intrigue was just being robbed from newcomers. Would've much preferred a minimalist OP until the Prologue was fully adapted or until the main heroine is met. But if I hadn't read the manga, I probably wouldn't have cared much and there are probably plenty of other series I first saw as anime where manga readers felt similarly so it's whatever.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3

I'm not sure that I buy that Tsukasa would immediately jump to the conclusion that the gang went off to make gunpowder. They're making it seem like he's Senku's rival in terms of understanding, but he also has crazy strength in his favor as well. Seems a bit much.

I also hope that Yuzuriha has something to provide other than emotion. The initial 3 stood out for their own abilities that would help revive humanity. I dunno what she would have, but I hope it's something to make her stand out too.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hmm, not sure what to think about this anime... for now it's pretty boring, will give it 2-3 more episodes, and drop it if i still can't get into it.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

Banned
May 22, 2018
Hmm, not sure what to think about this anime... for now it's pretty boring, will give it 2-3 more episodes, and drop it if i still can't get into it.
As it's been reiterated throughout this thread, this opening arc is only a prologue.

It gets much more fun once the series moves on from that.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As it's been reiterated throughout this thread, this opening arc is only a prologue.

It gets much more fun once the series moves on from that.
And from what episode is that gonna be? I mean, i get it, that it's a prologue, but those chars and not that interesting, and for now it feels like the anime is all over the place ^^

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

Banned
May 22, 2018
And from what episode is that gonna be? I mean, i get it, that it's a prologue, but those chars and not that interesting, and for now it feels like the anime is all over the place ^^
The prologue finishes around Chapter 14 of the manga, and this week's episode covered up to Chapter 6. They've been covering exactly 2 chapters in each episode, so there's about 4 more before the prologue ends.

Without saying anything else, the supporting cast (as seen in the OP) is pretty great in this series, it just takes a little bit of time to get to the better characters.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The prologue finishes around Chapter 14 of the manga, and this week's episode covered up to Chapter 6. They've been covering exactly 2 chapters in each episode, so there's about 4 more before the prologue ends.

Without saying anything else, the supporting cast (as seen in the OP) is pretty great in this series, it just takes a little bit of time to get to the better characters.
I see, then i will wait a bit longer, thanks for the Info.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is actually a pretty good Anime. I'm enjoying it!

Episode 3

I'm not sure that I buy that Tsukasa would immediately jump to the conclusion that the gang went off to make gunpowder. They're making it seem like he's Senku's rival in terms of understanding, but he also has crazy strength in his favor as well. Seems a bit much.

I also hope that Yuzuriha has something to provide other than emotion. The initial 3 stood out for their own abilities that would help revive humanity. I dunno what she would have, but I hope it's something to make her stand out too.
Same, I don't think I quite buy that Tsukasa is this intelligent. It feels like quite the ass-pull to have him just instantly come to the opposite conclusion about everything that Senku was trying to trick him with. Like it would be more believable if he just used his hunting abilities to track them through the woods to come to a conclusion at where they are going and what they are doing.

Heck, from Tsukasa's perspective having them not around should be great. He can just fuck-off and start killing the adults and there is nothing the group can do about it because they already have admitted they can't hunt nor track animals, and things only get easier for him to go do his thing as the weather starts eroding any signs of where he went.

Oct 27, 2017
So I finished the Episode 3 and I agree that Tsukasa is a bit "much" as a character. He's the strongest human alive AND some kind of genius investigator? Also, while Senku is great, his friends leave much to be desired. No doubt they might improve.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't think the brown haired dude is interesting on his own, I like his and senku's relationship.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, forgot about this entire bit between Yuzuriha being revived and the end of this arc. I like the sequence with the Buddha statue.

As for Tsukasa, I found it interesting that in addition to his strength, he also has keen insight. I thought it made sense for him to realize that Senku must be seeking a way to make gunpowder, but him knowing that he'd need sulfur and that he'd find it at the hot springs is a bit much, true.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4

Still interested in the show as someone who hasn't read the manga, but I don't know if I care for Tsukasa as the antagonist right now. I do like that the battle is about different philosophies to rebuild civilization.

They're not gonna kill off a guy with that hair, so I wonder what the explanation is going to be for what happens next.

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4

Still interested in the show as someone who hasn't read the manga, but I don't know if I care for Tsukasa as the antagonist right now. I do like that the battle is about different philosophies to rebuild civilization.

They're not gonna kill off a guy with that hair, so I wonder what the explanation is going to be for what happens next.
I mean he has Illuso’s hair, just more extra.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've enjoyed it so far even if Dr. Stone's random you're 10 billion times blah blah stuff is a bit tiresome.

I wonder what will happen after the "shocking" ending to episode 4!

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Note that the next episode is called "Stone World: The Beginning". The series isn't subtle about the fact that we haven't gotten to the actual start of the story.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention, it's nice that Taiju declined confessing to Yuzuriha until there are actually other options around.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seriously, fuck Tsukasa. I hate him as a character just because of how many ass-pulls they pull with him. I can usually shut off my brain, but he made so many leaps of logic to come to this point that it makes no sense.

Why can't I just have my Civilization Anime damnit.

Spyder_Monkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions are gonna shift later on I'm excited to see it.

Also read the manga Boichi might be the greatest manga artist of our time.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

Banned
May 22, 2018
Alright, this adaptation is moving things along quite nicely. The flashback showing Senku's past is the moment that this series really started to click with me while reading the manga, and it felt good seeing it in motion.

And hey, we finally got a glimpse of the first character outside of the original trio and Tsukasa, I forgot that they showed her this early. It kinda sucks that the OP and ED ruined the surprise since that was a bit of a shocker in the manga, but at least its a sign of the good things that are to come in this series.

KimiNewt

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, the anime got to my biggest gripe with the manga. Which is that the power of technology/logic and the vibe of the show is killed by people having superhuman abilities.

I get that it's a shounen so you gotta have that, but it just diminishes the show for me. I quit reading the manga a few months ago because of that plus repetitiveness. Maybe watching the anime will relight my interest, as I love the general concept.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

Banned
May 22, 2018
TBH, the anime got to my biggest gripe with the manga. Which is that the power of technology/logic and the vibe of the show is killed by people having superhuman abilities.
I've always been okay with it because Tsukasa being so over-the-top strong essentially turns him into a nearly invincible obstacle that only science can defeat. If he wasn't superhuman, Senku and Taiju could have just ganged up on him with spears, or that crossbow would have been enough to take care of him, and that's much less interesting of a story than using science to defeat a guy with inhuman physical abilities.

Plus, it lets the mangaka cheat a little by letting people like Taiju do crazy amounts of manual labor in a relatively short period of time, which is kinda necessary to make the set-up work.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The series gets tremendously better after this so you guys plz stick it out.

It's always pretty basic though as in it isn't too complex of a series, just good fun.

However after this the series basically becomes Civilization/Minecraft the anime with two sides operating at the same time.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah even as someone who adores the manga I'm still probably going to skip the first 4 episodes.

Ash735

Sep 4, 2018
Well I made the mistake of watching the first episode of the dub with my partner (who normally binge watches shows) cause she's blaming me there's not more episodes to watch.

May 30, 2018
Idk I find Tsukasa to be great. The tension was legit when he started to exert his dominance over Senku & Taiju. You just know they were gonna have to scrap with him soon lol