Devs - A new sci fi miniseries written and directed by Alex Garland - Thursdays on Hulu

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I thought but I got a bit confused by her 'defence lawyer' analogy.
He wants to know if he's guilty or not, she's there to prove that their actions are set in stone, clearing him of fully

I took it as looking back into the mouse's timeline, so the first step into proving their reality is fixed.

Buuuuut then we got all the split timeline shots and who knows

Oct 27, 2017
He wants to know if he's guilty or not, she's there to prove that their actions are set in stone, clearing him of fully

I took it as looking back into the mouse's timeline, so the first step into proving their reality is fixed.

Buuuuut then we got all the split timeline shots and who knows
Yeah I thought it was ‘rewinding’ the mouse.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Lily is playing some moves ahead, but it doesn't seem like it. Aside from the fake-out in Kenton's office, the call to the cops and getting rescued by Jamie after being committed don't have her in the best light. Pretty lax security in the place where Jamie could just open a window and rescue her. I do agree the flashbacks with her dad seemed to hint/foreshadow at something more.

I did like the branching path shots they did during some scenes this episode, along with Kenton's bathtub speech to Jamie.
Lily definitely is a savant or something. We are shown in the first episode she just knows the next numbers during that game she was playing with the other employee.
Woman: 4
Lily: 8
Woman: 436
Lily: 867 or whatever, etc.

We see in 5 how she could plan her stone moves with her dad mutiple steps ahead, but she doesn't know how many steps. She just knows.

I've been thinking she is part of Devs plan to help with the machine because she has some innate understanding of time that will provide a breakthrough in their machine (she has that convo with sergei about waves and the inherent weakness in both the waves they discuss). She is not in Kenton's power, Forest is giving her a cause to create an effect.

I'm more curious how the homeless guy plays into it. I'm thinking he's the 2nd coming of jesus haha. Humble, protects Lily, builds a wave form with cigarettes, not scared of Kenton, always seems to know why people are at the apartment, makes a hand gun and shoots at Kenton (chekovs), etc. He has the same hair as Forest, who has been given some straight forward religious symbolism.

The way they brought the multiverse in was cool, but I'm not sure Lily is effected in the same way. When we see her's in the intro, it shows her past whereas with the other displays it shows multiple branches. Maybe she is an anomaly within their singular universe which is why she is so special and seems to have some kind of time sense, she can sense when things are wrong (she knows instantly Sergei is in trouble), she can plan (see) ahead without knowing how or why, she just instinctively acts on it unlike other people (like Jamie says).

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Someone said to me today that they think Forest is trying to find the exact version of his daughter so he can then use that data to make a new one using all the data. Maybe like in a Android or just to predict her life if she didn't die and watch it

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
if this was the case, he wouldn't have flipped when Lyndon changed the code to use "many worlds interpretation", he want's them to replicate their world exactly, not possible pasts or futures.
No because in that way she was different way before that point.

It's like cloning without giving the clone a replication of the memories. The moment you finish the cloning they are not the same anymore. This way if he had the exact data from her from conception til a time he chooses she would be the same person

But this ain't my theory so eh

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone said to me today that they think Forest is trying to find the exact version of his daughter so he can then use that data to make a new one using all the data. Maybe like in a Android or just to predict her life if she didn't die and watch it
This episode straight up tells us why he's doing this: to see if he was at fault for her death.

At this point it would come completely out of left field for Forest to do anything other than what has been explained.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This show's highs are some of the most amazing I've ever experienced, but good lord the lows are low.

The highs: I've read a TON on quantum computing, Qubits, Determinism, Multiverses and whatnot. The concepts of the quantum computer and its abilities. It's a borderline religious experience.

The lows: Lilly and everything involving her or her [ex] boyfriend. Just.... zero fucks. Nay, -100000 fucks. The acting, but also just the story itself. Why am I supposed to even care about any of them at this point? The machine supercedes any of their motivations with a factor 10000.

I just hope the eventual payoff is worth it.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(saying this mostly to myself)
So Forest never intended to change anything in his life in the future; interact with his daughter in VR, bring her back to life, anything. The only reason he built this whole simulation was to know if he's on a tramline. That's way more powerful and personal.

I love this show.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
ya know he really gives no fuck about the wife and i mean we assume she died in the crash as well but he doesn't care to remember her or see her

katie only smiles at Lily's rescue is b/c it will help lead to the future they already saw and wouldn't have happened if she stayed there

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This show's highs are some of the most amazing I've ever experienced, but good lord the lows are low.

The highs: I've read a TON on quantum computing, Qubits, Determinism, Multiverses and whatnot. The concepts of the quantum computer and its abilities. It's a borderline religious experience.

The lows: Lilly and everything involving her or her [ex] boyfriend. Just.... zero fucks. Nay, -100000 fucks. The acting, but also just the story itself. Why am I supposed to even care about any of them at this point? The machine supercedes any of their motivations with a factor 10000.

I just hope the eventual payoff is worth it.
Agreed with pretty much everything.

The Lily/Kenton storyline feels completely disconnected from the Devs storyline. I get that they probably had to include the espionage action stuff to make it a show more than a handful of science nerds would watch, but we're over half-way through the show and Lily still has no connection with Devs other than her boyfriend getting killed.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Agreed with pretty much everything.

The Lily/Kenton storyline feels completely disconnected from the Devs storyline. I get that they probably had to include the espionage action stuff to make it a show more than a handful of science nerds would watch, but we're over half-way through the show and Lily still has no connection with Devs other than her boyfriend getting killed.
no b/c Forest needs her to be left alone for the most part. it's why he talked to her, still paying her salary when she's not working. it's why Katie said it's not in Kenton's power to do anything to her. Sergie's entire arc and death is just for Lily at this point make no mistake. they were probably looking into the future saw Lily and realized they need to handle Sergie

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking about Forest's goal. We know he originally wanted the machine so that he could determine if he had any choice in what happened to his family, to see if his superposition of being a man who has moved on and a man who is consumed by guilt has been decided.
Based on the progression of the machine, I have to assume that they have made this decision already right? They can see all the way back to Jesus.

That leaves me with the question of what exactly is his goal now? And a progression from seeing if the universe is deterministic or not, is to see if there is any divine purpose. To see if there is truth to religion and thus now another thing that Forest can defer his responsibility in his families death to. God is real? Why didn't it do anything?

Garland uses his movies to say something metaphorical about humanity.
Ex Machina was outwardly about AI, but it is also about what makes someone human (Turing test).
Annihilation was outwardly about an alien life form, but it also looks at trauma and how people deal with it.
Devs looks outwardly to be about the possibilities of quantum computing, but I have a feeling it will start dealing with human purpose.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
no b/c Forest needs her to be left alone for the most part. it's why he talked to her, still paying her salary when she's not working. it's why Katie said it's not in Kenton's power to do anything to her. Sergie's entire arc and death is just for Lily at this point make no mistake. they were probably looking into the future saw Lily and realized they need to handle Sergie
In what episode is this discussed? This doesn't ring a bell for me, unfortunately.