Devs - A new sci fi miniseries written and directed by Alex Garland - Thursdays on Hulu

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The whole Lily thread feels like a trite scenario that simply exits as a jumping point into the Devs project. It feels like there's supposed to be a sense of urgency and turnoil there that just flat lines for me. Her arc feels book ended by the death of her boyfriend and what just happened. The things in between feel easily forgettable. I'm still intrigued by the show since Garland has a way with the visual medium but big woof at half of what I've watched so far.

TheIlliterati

Oct 28, 2017
The whole Lily thread feels like a trite scenario that simply exits as a jumping point into the Devs project. It feels like there's supposed to be a sense of urgency and turnoil there that just flat lines for me. Her arc feels book ended by the death of her boyfriend and what just happened. The things in between feel easily forgettable. I'm still intrigued by the show since Garland has a way with the visual medium but big woof at half of what I've watched so far.
Totally agree. The whole thing is the exact same paranoid "Big Brother is out to get you" sort of story we've seen in a billion other shows or movies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Like it's been pointed out, she's not been a consistent character. It seems that she's there to remind you that the underlying 'project' of the devs can be sinister since Offerman's character is mostly played up as sympathetic because what drives him is his sadness.

As a result she feels more like a plot point enabler then a character? Like the whole, 'Do you go to the police for the mob?' and after a mob like run immediately calls the police?' I am hoping its an intentional wink the showrunner will explain later but watching it now...eesh

Her ex and the homeless dude are much more interesting characters...hell there's an argument they are undergoing and have more complete own arcs now (ex is getting some closure from a ghosted ex, homeless dude went from someone who was an early joke into someone who cares about the main chars).

I do like how there's more comedy in the last few episodes

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I do have one problem with how some of these simulation scenes are presented, and I don't know if it bothers anyone else: They seem to have two ways of how they make these scenes for the show. One way is that they make a true 3D rendering composed of constantly swarming particles. This looks awesome, and exactly the kind of convincing look that I think show needs. Initial Jesus on the cross scene was made this way, as well as Amaya blowing bubbles and the Marilyn Monroe sex scene. Many other scenes however seem to be done in a much cheaper way, where they pretty much take a grayscale video of some footage, and overlay fuzzy particles on top of it. Lilly putting up a sign in her window in the last episode, or her crawling in this one are examples of this. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not what they are doing, but whatever it is it somehow looks cheaper.
I think that might have been done to make certain scenes more clear. As in, most people would recognise or manage to put together the image of Jesus on the cross, but the specific image of Lily putting up a sign or struggling on the ground would end up being much harder to make out.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I've only seen 2 episodes so I'm not reading this thread (and won't be reading your replies) but I'm going to be pretty bummed out if this show doesn't lean into and explain the plot... hole? (plot point?) - that this Devs machine could and should immediately be pointed at the future of Lily / Kenton / anyone else involved in order to understand and see what's about to happen.

It feels like nothing should be secret or hidden from the Amaya CEO.

Maybe it'll be that Lily or others can be agents of chaos and break free of their predictive guardrails.

Which can be handled well or in a very hokey way, depending on whose storytelling hands it is in.

OG_Thrills

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 3 and immediately went right back to watch a certain scene in episode 1

MIND FUCKING BLOWN!!!

I'm hooked.

All in at this point hoping they green light season 2 ASA fucking P!!!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, I like that this episode brought up something I mentioned earlier in the thread about what would happen if they witnessed the future a minute forward and then purposefully did the opposite.

They didn’t actually answer what would happen, but I’m glad they’re at least aware of the kind of enigmas this sort of foresight brings up.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm wondering what exactly Forrest is trying to accomplish here. He fired that dude because what the machine would spit out were alternate versions of their reality thus it would not actually be "his" daughter but rather a copy that was 99.999999999999999999999999999% the same but that difference still makes it not be his Amaya.

Like, even if the machine was able to simulate a perfect version of our world, it would still be a simulation...no? It feels like what Forrest wants would never actually be possible unless like literally create a time machine.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm wondering what exactly Forrest is trying to accomplish here. He fired that dude because what the machine would spit out were alternate versions of their reality thus it would not actually be "his" daughter but rather a copy that was 99.999999999999999999999999999% the same but that difference still makes it not be his Amaya.

Like, even if the machine was able to simulate a perfect version of our world, it would still be a simulation...no? It feels like what Forrest wants would never actually be possible unless like literally create a time machine.
I think he‘s sort of the ”stubborn scientist” who only wants his own interpretation of theories to be the correct one, mixed with his grief over wanting to see his own daughter (not even one 99.99999% similar). But it’s still so ambiguous exactly what his goal is. If it’s just to see his daughter again, couldn’t he just watch home videos (unless he didn’t take any). Maybe he just wants to relive every second of his daughters life, even the moments he wasn’t there, maybe he was a workaholic who barely ever saw her.

I would think he‘d WANT to embrace a multiple worlds theory since he could potentially see an alternate world where his daughter is still alive, or maybe that‘s that he‘s afraid of.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think he‘s sort of the ”stubborn scientist” who only wants his own interpretation of theories to be the correct one, mixed with his grief over wanting to see his own daughter (not even one 99.99999% similar). But it’s still so ambiguous exactly what his goal is. If it’s just to see his daughter again, couldn’t he just watch home videos (unless he didn’t take any). Maybe he just wants to relive every second of his daughters life, even the moments he wasn’t there, maybe he was a workaholic who barely ever saw her.

I would think he‘d WANT to embrace a multiple worlds theory since he could potentially see an alternate world where his daughter is still alive, or maybe that‘s that he‘s afraid of.
Yeah, at first I was thinking he wanted to see her grow up because she died but this episode made it pretty clear he wants the version where she dies since he just wants to see his universe's Amaya and nothing else.

He breaks down after since the alternative Amaya, so he obviously isn't as cold to it as he pretends to be which makes me wonder if it'll be enough and if it is, is Devs done?

Oct 25, 2017
He might want the exact version but then tweak what happens.

Either way, not interesting :(

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
He might want the exact version but then tweak what happens.

Either way, not interesting :(
imho Forrests entire long game is to get daughter back, only thing is the how since right now Devs can only show you the past/future I assume there’s another aspect being hidden/another breakthrough where you can have impact on the ‘tram lines’.

i dont mind it because it makes him sympathetic, and it also sets up the fact that everyone knows he’s dangerous (how the older engineer basically told the young engineer to be happy to be able to escape with his life)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
imho Forrests entire long game is to get daughter back, only thing is the how since right now Devs can only show you the past/future I assume there’s another aspect being hidden/another breakthrough where you can have impact on the ‘tram lines’.

i dont mind it because it makes him sympathetic, and it also sets up the fact that everyone knows he’s dangerous (how the older engineer basically told the young engineer to be happy to be able to escape with his life)
Maybe if he can generate a perfect simulation of her as she was, he can recreate a digital version of her based on that, or even somehow "3D print" her back to life from that perfect replication.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
My feeling is that Forest's resistance to the idea of the many worlds theory is because it creates the possibility that he could have done something to prevent his daughter's death. If our world is deterministic then there is nothing he could have done, it was always meant to be that way and he can't accept that what happened is what had to happen. The instant you suggest there are other possibilities that opens the door to him having had the option to do something different, which means he might have responsibility for what happened.

This way he absolves himself, which is why he reacted so hopefully to Lyndon presenting an alternative theory.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Haha, I like that this episode brought up something I mentioned earlier in the thread about what would happen if they witnessed the future a minute forward and then purposefully did the opposite.

They didn’t actually answer what would happen, but I’m glad they’re at least aware of the kind of enigmas this sort of foresight brings up.
if what they described happened it would prove their machine was wrong (in Forest's view) and what they actually saw was from a multi-verse and therefore it's useless to Forest

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if everyone knows Amaya is his dead daughter. Imagine going to work and seeing a massive statue of your boss' dead kid.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i'm telling ya'll Lily isn't what she seems. i think she was told long before ep 1 that he was a spy and he was trying to get in Devs b/c he fell in love with her. It's why he didn't update his spy app, it was why she was coaching him on encryption in ep 1. She was the fail safe in case he failed (a plan between the 2 of them only or better yet only her due to Pill constant monitoring of her life) but didn't think he'd just end up dead. She's been planning many many many steps ahead of since seeing the doctored video

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
i'm telling ya'll Lily isn't what she seems. i think she was told long before ep 1 that he was a spy and he was trying to get in Devs b/c he fell in love with her. It's why he didn't update his spy app, it was why she was coaching him on encryption in ep 1. She was the fail safe in case he failed (a plan between the 2 of them only or better yet only her due to Pill constant monitoring of her life) but didn't think he'd just end up dead. She's been planning many many many steps ahead of since seeing the doctored video
Didn't we see Lily investigating his phone and talking to herself about it while she was alone?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
So if I understand the reviews correctly, the show has great ideas, cinematography and editing, but a mediocre plot and shallow characters?

Is that an accurate assessment? I am wary of the plot part.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So if I understand the reviews correctly, the show has great ideas, cinematography and editing, but a mediocre plot and shallow characters?

Is that an accurate assessment? I am wary of the plot part.
no on the plot b/c no one knows the actual plot

it's a show that is weekly that would be better as a binge one could argue or 2 films

episode 6 is looking to get towards some of the promo images of last year and early this year. Hulu already has a description
Pill will tell Lily about Devs

hydruxo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Ep 5 hammered this home even more with the flashbacks of teen Lily and her dad and how she was thinking a few steps ahead. Lily has more going on than meets the eye.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Another great episode imo. Sure some of the future/past images the computer projects can break immersion a little bit, especially with the crystal clear images now, but I’m still completely on board with what’s going on and hope we get a solid conclusion. Forests motivation seems to be getting a little more clearer now too. That car crash scene was absolutely terrifying imo. In the blink of an eye, losing the two most important people in your life, and then we see the possibilities of what else could have happened instead of the crash. Amazing scene. This show is so fucking good!!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I hope Lily is playing some moves ahead, but it doesn't seem like it. Aside from the fake-out in Kenton's office, the call to the cops and getting rescued by Jamie after being committed don't have her in the best light. Pretty lax security in the place where Jamie could just open a window and rescue her. I do agree the flashbacks with her dad seemed to hint/foreshadow at something more.

I did like the branching path shots they did during some scenes this episode, along with Kenton's bathtub speech to Jamie.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
no the other car ran the stop sign but her talking to him at that moment instead of a second later or sooner caused the death version of the accident
Forest wants the machine to be deterministic to prove he wasn't the cause of the accident but he was b/c he forgot the milk to begin with
You can see the stop sign, and it says "all way", so she also ran the stop sign. (shitty picture from HBO nordic, cause their compression is awful):

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Forest wants the machine to be deterministic to prove he wasn't the cause of the accident but he was b/c he forgot the milk to begin with
Forest wants to prove that the universe is deterministic, using the simulation on his computer. If he's right in that, it completely doesn't matter if he forgot the milk, or whatever else set the whole chain of events in motion. He's not 'guilty' because he never had any option to not forget about the milk, or to not make that call at exactly that moment. That's the absolving he's after.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain the scene with the mouse within the simulation coming back to life? What is that supposed to be implying?