Devs - A new sci fi miniseries written and directed by Alex Garland - Thursdays on Hulu

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up with show and was really enjoying it until:
the stealing cam footage. There is no way the head of security would not have his computer on lock (physically and digitally) nor would he allow the USB port to be functional. It was made even worse with the absolutely, stunningly obvious fake flames. If they are going through the effort of CGing that footage, they are not risking being caught by duplicating flames. Especially strange when we see they actually burned the body in that spot.

But I’ll be able to get over it as long as the show stays engaging otherwise. I like Garland’s work so I’m inclined to stick with this show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Out of curiosity, why is some stuff put in spoiler tags after the episode aired?

I assumed after an episode has been shown, it's free to talk about since they are dropping things weekly.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Pesky Therizinosaurus
Oct 25, 2017
People are just being cautious I guess. But yeah, there's no need to tag stuff that's already aired.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017

But I’ll be able to get over it as long as the show stays engaging otherwise. I like Garland’s work so I’m inclined to stick with this show.
Agreed - show has weak spots like that (shooting video of a top secret code on your first day of job while you’re in clear distress, and the office manager sits on a desk next to yours?!), but much like the absurd absence of hazmat suits in Annihilation, I consider it a minor technical minutia that doesn’t detract much from what really matters in Garland’s stuff.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
People are just being cautious I guess. But yeah, there's no need to tag stuff that's already aired.
Yep, just being cautious. I have no idea when people are entering this thread. Some may just want to look at impressions to see if the consensus is positive. I don’t want to drop plot points on people that want to see how ResetEra is reacting to it.

But I’m also not expecting others to do that as entering a thread discussing the show always presents a spoiler risk.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the stealing cam footage. There is no way the head of security would not have his computer on lock (physically and digitally) nor would he allow the USB port to be functional. It was made even worse with the absolutely, stunningly obvious fake flames. If they are going through the effort of CGing that footage, they are not risking being caught by duplicating flames. Especially strange when we see they actually burned the body in that spot.

He's arrogant just like he got too close to the Russian, and thinks all they need to do is just kill Lily if they have to and think he wouldn't have problems with 2 ppl in the company die suddenly. Also he believes them to be stupid as his cover up was working as far as he knew

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
He's arrogant just like he got too close to the Russian, and thinks all they need to do is just kill Lily if they have to and think he wouldn't have problems with 2 ppl in the company die suddenly. Also he believes them to be stupid as his cover up was working as far as he knew
He’s gone through the precaution of having a totally isolated office for Devs. Before he even gets there he would have already implemented basic security protocols to protect information. This is first step security measures. You could even remotely lock USB ports. But I don’t know where this is going. Maybe he already predicted this and it’s part of his plans?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
He’s gone through the precaution of having a totally isolated office for Devs. Before he even gets there he would have already implemented basic security protocols to protect information. This is first step security measures. You could even remotely lock USB ports. But I don’t know where this is going. Maybe he already predicted this and it’s part of his plans?
Kenton doesn't seem to know what Devs are doing. I think he was bored like his friend who was doing security detail until now.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The sound on the show continues to be incredible.

Lyndon's breakthrough and Forrest' objection didn't make sense at first, but his conversation with Katie cleared things up some. The math/science concept behind it, is still way over my head. Nick Offerman is killing it in the role.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Trying not to read any spoilers so can anyone confirm for me that episode 4 has any of the cool tech stuff or is it more drama focused like the last?

Oct 25, 2017
at this point i don’t give a shit about anything happening outside of devs

i trust the writer but man lily’s story couldn’t be more run-of-the-mill right now

even forrest’s motivation (at least what we’ve been shown) is pretty cliche— or maybe i read too much sci-fi.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Holyshit this episode was amazing!! Fuck, I got a bit emotional towards the end, and that was a hell of a cliffhanger. I wasn’t really into ep 3 but man this one bounced back big time. I absolutely love the pacing of this show. Stuff actually happens

Also, fucking Kenton man, dude is an absolute presence in this show and totally terrifying somehow. What an amazing casting choice. I know I’ve seen this actor in a bunch of stuff but this is the sort of role I would have never imagined him absolutely killing it in.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
at this point i don’t give a shit about anything happening outside of devs

i trust the writer but man lily’s story couldn’t be more run-of-the-mill right now

even forrest’s motivation (at least what we’ve been shown) is pretty cliche— or maybe i read too much sci-fi.
except the way it's being framed Lily's story is super important to Forest's
it's why he's watching her death and wanted Kenton not to do anything to her

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Why are they using that amazing score less and less every episode? I need MORE of it.

Episode was definitely a big improvement over the last one, but I hope there's more to it than what we know so far. I need it to be weirder!

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
They showed us that Lily is smart, what the hell was that last scene. Yeah shock might explain it but even then I still don't buy it. I didn't expect the episode to end like this but the moment
she called the police
it became extremely obvious.

hydruxo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the second half of the newest episode was nuts. I'm very curious to see how this all pans out.

I think the homeless guy has to have some larger role to play but I'm not sure what it would be. They're giving him some screen time in nearly every ep so far and he seems very actively interested in what's going on with Lily and Amaya.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the second half of the newest episode was nuts. I'm very curious to see how this all pans out.

I think the homeless guy has to have some larger role to play but I'm not sure what it would be. They're giving him some screen time in nearly every ep so far and he seems very actively interested in what's going on with Lily and Amaya.
Seconded on the homeless guy.

Also the head of security rushing in and killing Jamie immediately after the cops walk out the door (while it's still open!!) is the stupidest thing I've ever seen

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Thirded on homeless dude and subscribing to thread. Love Alex Garland and this is good so far.

Oct 25, 2017

Also the head of security rushing in and killing Jamie immediately after the cops walk out the door (while it's still open!!) is the stupidest thing I've ever seen
Pretty sure the cops are for hire and/or bought and paid for by the tech company. The head of security doing all of the killings and everything for the company is getting ridiculous though.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think Kenton has done it yet. He closes the blinds because he's just getting started. The intro for the next episode is gonna be intense.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the cops are for hire and/or bought and paid for by the tech company. The head of security doing all of the killings and everything for the company is getting ridiculous though.
Yeah I considered that as well but it seemed just as silly. If I'm willing to overlook a future telling floating cube though, I can overlook this. It was silly but I'm still enjotying the show

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The sound on the show continues to be incredible.

Lyndon's breakthrough and Forrest' objection didn't make sense at first, but his conversation with Katie cleared things up some. The math/science concept behind it, is still way over my head. Nick Offerman is killing it in the role.
It was pretty clear from the very beginning why Forest is in this, and from there, I knew why he was objecting. What Katie did to him is little different from hiring some kid to pretend to be his daughter. The difference is philosophical more than practical, so in a way it was cruel, really.. It's much less clear what Katie's goal is in all this. She's definitely not in it just for glory and the sense of accomplishment like Lyndon or Stewart are.

Acting in Lyndon's breakthrough moment was really commendable, it was maybe a highlight for me. It's a kind of a moment, rare as it may be, that makes all the tedium and stress in software development worth it - even when you're not discovering Jesus.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i made a big mistake was looking for a podcast talking about the show and listen to a AfterBuzz one. these people are either purposely stupid to get more user engagement or just crazy dumb. and i'm thinking both. At one point they say oh she called the police then 15 seconds later was like "oh the police suddenly showed up"
also they keep calling Lyndon "her" just b/c the actor playing him is a woman

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I guess for me the tone and feel of the show outweighs any plot contrivances, because I'm absolutely loving it. Everything to do with Devs itself is great, and I'm really enjoying Lily's story just because it feels like it's moving at a fair clip. I was absolutely not expecting her to total the car to escape, that got a gasp out of me. And yeah, me and my girlfriend have been joking that Kenton seems to have a murder quota he needs to fill each episode, dude is racking up bodies.

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
🤣
- firing a teenager and telling him to stfu and honor your NDA or I'll murder you cause I'll know
- the image becoming crystal clear
- lily arguing to not call the cops, then calls the cops

I'm expecting homeless guy to beatup all the police next episode so lily can run away and then it's revealed he's a Spetznaz deep cover operator or some kind of Chinese spy sent to protect her.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
he hasn't the thumbnail and summary on hulu for next episode has him alive
Doesn't mean it. It could just be a retrospective scene or something like that.

🤣
- the image becoming crystal clear
Curious, why did you think this was a bad moment? It made sense technically with what Lyndon explained, and it made sense plot-wise as I think Katie wants to manipulate Forest into having a clear image product, rather than our-universe-accurate simulation. I think she's not into this for philosophical accuracy, but for some other, unknown reason. As a dumb example, she could now win every other lottery with this system (numbers would not match our universe's numbers every time, but probably match them many times), whereas previously that was impossible with the detail being so low. Or she could spy on everyone everywhere, as the sound is clear.

I'm expecting homeless guy to beatup all the police next episode so lily can run away and then it's revealed he's a Spetznaz deep cover operator or some kind of Chinese spy sent to protect her.
I suspect that as well. At this point it would be more of a surprise if he's just a regular bum, lol.

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, why did you think this was a bad moment? It made sense technically with what Lyndon explained, and it made sense plot-wise as I think Katie wants to manipulate Forest into having a clear image product, rather than our-universe-accurate simulation. I think she's not into this for philosophical accuracy, but for some other, unknown reason. As a dumb example, she could now win every other lottery with this system (numbers would not match our universe's numbers every time, but probably match them many times), whereas previously that was impossible with the detail being so low. Or she could spy on everyone everywhere, as the sound is clear.
I get that, but it's just it turns from a fuzzy black and white screen into a cinematically framed shot with lighting, focus, and everything.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
In the (amazing) ending song of the last episode and this one, is the lyric "We are the fortunate ones - who get to be whole again?"
I can't quite make it if the word is "whole" or something else. *edit* I confirmed that's what it says.

I get that, but it's just it turns from a fuzzy black and white screen into a cinematically framed shot with lighting, focus, and everything.
They are simulating reality, so it makes sense that with enough fidelity, the result should look literally real. I do agree that it somehow felt the scene became "too good", but I think it wouldn't have worked as well thematically otherwise. I think they wanted to show that Katie is being manipulative, and nothing short of a truly real looking child would have broken Forest.

I do have one problem with how some of these simulation scenes are presented, and I don't know if it bothers anyone else: They seem to have two ways of how they make these scenes for the show. One way is that they make a true 3D rendering composed of constantly swarming particles. This looks awesome, and exactly the kind of convincing look that I think show needs. Initial Jesus on the cross scene was made this way, as well as Amaya blowing bubbles and the Marilyn Monroe sex scene. Many other scenes however seem to be done in a much cheaper way, where they pretty much take a grayscale video of some footage, and overlay fuzzy particles on top of it. Lilly putting up a sign in her window in the last episode, or her crawling in this one are examples of this. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not what they are doing, but whatever it is it somehow looks cheaper.

Last edited:

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling it. I gave this most recent episode a try and I just fell asleep. It feels like an empty set and everyone is made out of cardboard.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The interior lighting on this show is kind of hilarious. I guess in the near future, San Francisco sits inside a supernova of bloom lighting.