Devs - A new sci fi miniseries written and directed by Alex Garland - Thursdays on Hulu

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the first episode, that was fucking perfect.

Atmosphere, tone, mystery, visuals, music. Top notch, everything.

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the camera watch is hardly a goofy spy tool. It's not like it has a laser built into it or a super powerful magnet. Having tiny hidden cameras and/or audio recorders seems like the bare minimum when it comes to spying or corporate espionage.

When he was let into the Devs lab, I immediately noticed he had a watch on and thought he probably shouldn't have been allowed to bring that in (could have easily had a built in USB stick or something too). But I also wondered why the one person there was allowed to have headphones too, so I guess their "don't being in stuff" rule is a little flexible...
It's something I would expect from Alias.

Nov 5, 2017
This show is worthy of being called a Black Mirror successor - whereas Black Mirror has singular themes that eventually played out over the course of many seasons, this show uses Black Mirror's themes to expand and bring together a more cohesive narrative.

The 1st two episodes are fantastic. I'm hooked!

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
I now know what my main headquarters/office must look like:
Floating cube or bust

hydruxo

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first episode but slightly concerned about the acting.
I think everyone has been solid except for the lead. My initial thoughts after seeing the first two eps are that I'm not sure Sonoya Mizuno was the right choice for this role. Whenever I've seen her in other films, she's usually in a fairly minor role and often doesn't even speak/barely speaks (Ex Machina and Annihilation) and this is her first lead role as far as I know. Though she was pretty good in Maniac. I don't want to fault her for it too much though because I think Garland tends to write his leads as kind of bland anyways. Natalie Portman's character in Annihilation reminds me a lot of Lily in this. Stoic characters who are going through the loss of their husband/boyfriend. Still early in the season though so we'll see.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Super confused at the ending of the second episode.

How the hell did Anton get killed? I watched the fight like three times, suddenly you hear a *crack* and he's dead. I can't figure out what happened

hydruxo

Oct 25, 2017
Super confused at the ending of the second episode.

How the hell did Anton get killed? I watched the fight like three times, suddenly you hear a *crack* and he's dead. I can't figure out what happened
Kenton breaks Anton's wrist and then while he's squirming around in pain he kind of pushes him against the car tire so is head his wedged against it, then puts all his weight into him until his neck snapped. They filmed that whole fight sequence kind of awkwardly from weird angles so I had to watch a few times too because it was so abrupt when he killed him.

cinch

Feb 17, 2019
Watched the first ep (big fan of Alex's), and i'm definitely hooked, loved the setting and premise. But yep, so far the lead's acting is iffy hopefully it will improve

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
There's a moment in episode 2 where I was like "holy fuck what!" Lol. In any case I'm all in after this. Fantastic 2 episodes. Clearly not dragging the story here.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ep 2 was better than the first but I have no idea where this is going. I'm intrigued tho

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Kenton breaks Anton's wrist and then while he's squirming around in pain he kind of pushes him against the car tire so is head his wedged against it, then puts all his weight into him until his neck snapped. They filmed that whole fight sequence kind of awkwardly from weird angles so I had to watch a few times too because it was so abrupt when he killed him.
I guess, but what a bizarre way to film it. Also, doesn't it take super human strength to push a 140 pound guy so hard his neck snaps?

I don't know why this bothers me so much, haha. It's just a super weirdly executed segment in an otherwise top notch show.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I have a feeling they’re not going to tell us what Devs is... I just finished Episode 1 and I feel like whatever Devs is, is going to be a running mystery and the shows plot will focus on the drama and characters more than whatever the fuck they’re working on in Devs, which may drive me insane a little because I need to know what they’re working on.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they’re not going to tell us what Devs is... I just finished Episode 1 and I feel like whatever Devs is, is going to be a running mystery and the shows plot will focus on the drama and characters more than whatever the fuck they’re working on in Devs, which may drive me insane a little because I need to know what they’re working on.

I think episode 2 might give you an answer or close to an answer that youre looking for.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Nick Offerman's speech to the Russian guy at the end of episode 1 spelled out what Devs was pretty well (as well as the AI program the guy showed to Offerman earlier in the episode).
Like the simple AI experiment from earlier where the guy simulates a tiny worm's actions and can even simulate it into the future 10 seconds, Devs does that except on a planetary (universal?) scale, meaning they are able to simulate everything on the planet to such an accurate degree that it can predict what people will do in the future (which is why they knew the Russian guy was a spy).

Offerman's speech was all about how free will is just an illusion and it's not actually the guy's fault for doing what he did since it was already predetermined.
Then Episode 2 takes that idea and goes in a whole other direction with it (literally).
At the beginning the coders are able to use the simulation to go BACK in time up to 2000 years and visualize Jesus on the cross.
I'm incredibly curious to see where they take this concept in the rest of the episodes and find out what exactly the end goal of Devs is, or if they'll go into the more details about the origins of the machine itself (is it just an impossibly powerful computer they invented, or is there something more to it).

They hint at Offerman's motivations in episode 2, but I still don't know where the hell it'll all go and that's pretty rare for shows these days.

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
I’m watching it since I recognized a lot of the locals being a UC Santa Cruz alumni

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
First two episodes were fantastic.

Alex Garland is always on point, goddamn.

scottstephan

Oct 27, 2017
They tell you in the first episode. I was surprised they spilled the beans so quickly.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Both episodes gave us some clues about what Devs is, if I remember correctly:

1. Sergei's presentation where they could predict that single cell organisms future movements
2. The scene about how if the code worked that it would change everything. Katie says that the point is that it wouldn't change anything.
3. Nick Offerman saying that Sergei was going to betray him so it wasn't his fault or something like that. Essentially saying it was predetermined that he was going to betray Nick Offerman.
4. The scene with Jesus.

It feels like the Devs machine is Sergei's presentation but diled up to a trillion. It's the same idea but applies to all of humanity.

They were able to run the algorithm, or whatever, and see it pop up something that happened 2000 years ago in the real world. He then does the same to look at his daughter. Because of what Katie told Sergei, I assume this means they can also look into the future and if that's the case, then nothing would actually change since the algorithm would come to the same conclusion that Devs created this machine and anything they do would have always happened.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Alex Garland gave a speech at NYCC that pretty clearly explains what the premise is.

"I read more about science than anything else, and it started with two things. One was getting my head around this principle of determinism, which basically says that everything that happens in the world is based on cause and effect...That has all sorts of implications for us. One is that it takes away free will, but the other is that if you are at a computer powerful enough, you could use determinism to predict the future and understand the past. If you unravel everything about you, about the specifics of you why you prefer a cup of coffee to tea...then five seconds before you said you'd like to have a cup of coffee one would be able to predict you'd ask for it."

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Ok, I have a very important question.

Where does the poop from the bathrooms in the floating cube building go? It's air-gapped and no cleaning crew.

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think Offerman's only going to use the machine to watch his daughter, instead of things like exploring the Kennedy assassination, UFO's, etc. And he'll just keep stalling or isolating himself, when the others want to go public.

The only other way I think it goes is that they discover evidence of or start a Bostrom Simulation.

Noodle

Aug 22, 2018
So I saw episode 1 and I'm worried I am "ahead" of the show.

I guessed the nature of the project when Sergei threw up, and when he was confronted by Nick Offerman I twigged that he was a dead man walking and that his girlfriend was the real recruit from the numbers game. Is the girlfriend going to mourn, throw herself into the obsession of solving her bf's death, work out it's to do with Devs, dig deep from reserves of strength and put on a persona to make Nick notice and recruit her, infiltrate the Dev cube, have some scheme to expose them that initially seems successful and then *psych* Nick & co reveals he knew all along and that they only always wanted her but their simulation showed the only way to get her brains on board was to spur her into action with the boyfriend misdirection.

I don't want to watch 4 episodes of seeing her run this maze when I already know where the finish is.

taahahmed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

I guessed the nature of the project when Sergei threw up, and when he was confronted by Nick Offerman I twigged that he was a dead man walking and that his girlfriend was the real recruit from the numbers game. Is the girlfriend going to mourn, throw herself into the obsession of solving her bf's death, work out it's to do with Devs, dig deep from reserves of strength and put on a persona to make Nick notice and recruit her, infiltrate the Dev cube, have some scheme to expose them that initially seems successful and then *psych* Nick & co reveals he knew all along and that they only always wanted her but their simulation showed the only way to get her brains on board was to spur her into action with the boyfriend misdirection.

I don't want to watch 4 episodes of seeing her run this maze when I already know where the finish is.
Yeah, this ain't it, man. You'll see when you watch E2.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Girlfriend and I watched the first episode tonight - holy crap, that was fantastic! I'm really hooked. Haven't watched Episode 2 yet, but yeah, the idea I got was that it seems to be they figured out that the universe is predetermined.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I really should have waited to watch this until it was over. The wait for the next episode is killing me.

Oct 25, 2017
why is this thread only 2 pages. this show has me hooked.

its almost like they want you to think this...

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I’m watching it since I recognized a lot of the locals being a UC Santa Cruz alumni
Yeah. It’s fucking wild.

In the opening minutes I was all “wait is that Kresge?” And then that outdoor venue, and some of the suspended bridges and I completely lost my shit. But the thing that killed me was they put the Devs facility in the Porter meadow where all the 420 festivities take place. Lmao

I don’t know how I feel about the show, but I’m having a good time seeing Nick Offerman look broodingly out a window in the Science Hill Library.

Last edited:

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I really should have waited to watch this until it was over. The wait for the next episode is killing me.
I was coming into this thread to ask if I should sign up for Hulu to watch week to week or just wait until it’s over to binge it. Seems like I should go with the latter.

I’m a huge Alex Garland fan.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I can tell this is the filming location they chose for the Devs facility. UCSC has the most amazing 420 celebrations I’ve ever seen.

Last edited: