• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 16 hours, 32 minutes, 47 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Demon's Tilt, Occult Pinball Action [Steam, Xbox Play Anywhere, Game Pass]

SturokBGD

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Gave it a few spins, not really feeling it vs how much I love Devil's Crush for some reason but I'll keep trying. Ironically I think the high resolution art is putting me off vs good old chunky TG16 pixels.

Mesoian

Oct 28, 2017
A tip, when I started playing this game, I was getting like a full second of extra input lag.

Turn off the experimental vsync. It helps dramatically.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced they use some tricks with the physics from time to time. When you're close to certain objectives the ball often does weird shit, artifically pushing you towards doing the same shot multiple times even when you do it right. Hard to explain but I've been noticing some odd patterns.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Guys... I am completely drained. 3.8 billions. World record on Xbox One. I think I can retire now.

Funnily enough, the regular leaderboard caps at 2 billions or so which only puts me 5th tied with the first 4, but there's a separate billionaires club where it shows I'm half a billion ahead of second place.

The funny thing is that I had like 3.5 billions on my first ball. I got through the 3 words and the subsequent quest, then I also managed to put 1 ball away for the 3rd lock multiball and finished the bottom 2 words. I was unlucky on the final 2 balls so I only managed to put another ball away and not start anything but a minor double ball on the middle. Still it's the world record but it could have legitimately been like 5-6 billions if not more. I'll try again surely, but for tonight I am exhausted.

This game is insane.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
obligatory "thx for gamepass" first, i have played this for the last 3 hours, the game is fucking good. like really fucking good.

awesome surprise at the end of the year, gonna sink alot of time into this, this game beamed me back to the 90s and i love it. the sound effects are bliss, super well done. music is also fitting as hell

and props for the options, zoom, scanlines, rgb effect, woooohooo, that is how you do it

as a lover of the Naxat pinball games: this game here is legit

Apr 4, 2018
This game was a great surprise. It's definitely filling the void for me for a spiritual successor to Devil's Crush, or Pinball of the Dead. Looking forward to playing more.

Portmanteau

Oct 25, 2017
Guys... I am completely drained. 3.8 billions. World record on Xbox One. I think I can retire now.

Funnily enough, the regular leaderboard caps at 2 billions or so which only puts me 5th tied with the first 4, but there's a separate billionaires club where it shows I'm half a billion ahead of second place.

The funny thing is that I had like 3.5 billions on my first ball. I got through the 3 words and the subsequent quest, then I also managed to put 1 ball away for the 3rd lock multiball and finished the bottom 2 words. I was unlucky on the final 2 balls so I only managed to put another ball away and not start anything but a minor double ball on the middle. Still it's the world record but it could have legitimately been like 5-6 billions if not more. I'll try again surely, but for tonight I am exhausted.

This game is insane.
Seeing your progress on the right side is cool!

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Played an hour or two so far, but can't do better than 50m so far, haha.

I'm not great at pinball.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
two things are bugging me at the moment

a) when you zoom in more you can´t play the bonus tables because you can´t see the paddles...super annoying, this needs to be fixed asap because i need that zoom on the big TV
b) on the bottom section there is this worm like creature, numerous times the ball hangs at this creature, destroys it and falls into the pit with no chance to interact, this really sucks

other than that the game is awesome

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this game on GP, but the ball physics didn't feel right to me. It seemed too floaty. Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't played pinball in years lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
its coming december 23rd, there's already a store page
remains to be seen how it runs on the Switch though. hopefully good as it runs great on the old fat Xbox One

man, this game is pure bliss, can´t get enough of this...what a great end of the year surprise

I tried this game on GP, but the ball physics didn't feel right to me. It seemed too floaty. Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't played pinball in years lol
it doesn´t mimic real life physics, it is like the old Naxat pinballs, it is gamey but in a good way. it feels a bit like Pinball Dreams.

i wouldn´t like it any other way :-)

Last edited:

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Game is a complete surprise to me. Love the look and the music, and there's lots to do on the table.

To those saying the game is unforgiving about bad angles that make you lose balls, how much are you nudging? The nudge is super powerful.

Irrotational

Oct 25, 2017
I posted in gamepass thread, but this is probably better.

Anyone have any tips or explanations of how the three objectives on the right work.

So far I've just played the game and random shit has happened but no idea how.

1. Are there sure fire ways to get the ball from one level up to the next? I find it hardest to go from bottom to middle. Is there a lane or ramp that does this? Typically I rely on the green orb to send it shooting up there.

2. Any recommended "structure" to a run? Do you try and kill a couple of bosses on the bottom first? Then go to middle? Or does it depend on what you happen to have collected at that point in the game?

FairyEmpire - seriously impressive runs!! Congrats on world top!!

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
a) when you zoom in more you can´t play the bonus tables because you can´t see the paddles...super annoying, this needs to be fixed asap because i need that zoom on the big TV
I had the same problem, but there's an option (which I can't remember the name of right now) that will auto focus the screen so you always see the paddles. I also zoomed out a tad which may have helped.

To be honest the default zoom levels on single and multiball seem the wrong way around. It takes a fair amount of tweaking to get the settings just right.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I had the same problem, but there's an option (which I can't remember the name of right now) that will auto focus the screen so you always see the paddles. I also zoomed out a tad which may have helped.

To be honest the default zoom levels on single and multiball seem the wrong way around. It takes a fair amount of tweaking to get the settings just right.
gotta try that but i think i have auto centering activated. maybe i should zoom out a bit too and see if it does the trick.

and yeah, game needs some tweaking but at least there are options :-)

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This seems like the perfect Game Pass game. I wishlisted it on Switch, but was surprised at the price point -- that's an instant wait-for-sale from me.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
I posted in gamepass thread, but this is probably better.

Anyone have any tips or explanations of how the three objectives on the right work.

So far I've just played the game and random shit has happened but no idea how.

1. Are there sure fire ways to get the ball from one level up to the next? I find it hardest to go from bottom to middle. Is there a lane or ramp that does this? Typically I rely on the green orb to send it shooting up there.

2. Any recommended "structure" to a run? Do you try and kill a couple of bosses on the bottom first? Then go to middle? Or does it depend on what you happen to have collected at that point in the game?

FairyEmpire - seriously impressive runs!! Congrats on world top!!
1. The optimal way to go from the bottom to the middle heavily depends on what phase you're on. Unfortunately if you're at the last 2 enemies (the tentacle monster and the wolf) there's barely a reliable way to go upwards, in fact those are the phases you will want to desperately hold a higher position until you don't unlock a double ball or an even bigger multiball. The easiest way to pull that off is keep landing repeatedly in the basket above the middle area's nun drawing, do that enough and it goes in flames generating an automatic and fairly easy to keep multiball.

The issue with the two monsters I mentioned is that not only their big size and bullet spam make it hard to go upwards, but they also lock the best way to move otherwise: the convenient right lane that is a direct connection to the middle. It inserts 5 or so annoying stone blocks that make it nigh impossible to do much, and at this point portals don't really open up until you beat the monsters. The best way to stay alive in this case is just holding the ball with your paddle whenever bullets are coming, at that point hit then retreat again. It's dangerous and there's angles where the ball can go out without you having any chance to save, but the kicks are really powerful so that helps.

2. I start working on the top and the middle, trying to not go down at all until I am holding multiballs or something. If I have saved two balls or so for the multiball on top and have cleared at least 10 or so letters, I tend to not abandon the run because I might be on the brink of giant runs.

Other than that just focus on letters, multipliers, and stay as high as possible. Make sure your multiplier is high and your multiball lasts long: I managed to hold a multiball that earned me almost 2 billion points once. Can't reliably score that much with solo balls.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I REALLY want to enjoy this but I'm really struggling to keep track of the ball with my colour blindness!
Even the colour adjustment modes don't seem to be helping, my brain is confusing the ball with some of the bullet hell shots :(

Irrotational

Oct 25, 2017
1. The optimal way to go from the bottom to the middle heavily depends on what phase you're on. Unfortunately if you're at the last 2 enemies (the tentacle monster and the wolf) there's barely a reliable way to go upwards, in fact those are the phases you will want to desperately hold a higher position until you don't unlock a double ball or an even bigger multiball. The easiest way to pull that off is keep landing repeatedly in the basket above the middle area's nun drawing, do that enough and it goes in flames generating an automatic and fairly easy to keep multiball.

The issue with the two monsters I mentioned is that not only their big size and bullet spam make it hard to go upwards, but they also lock the best way to move otherwise: the convenient right lane that is a direct connection to the middle. It inserts 5 or so annoying stone blocks that make it nigh impossible to do much, and at this point portals don't really open up until you beat the monsters. The best way to stay alive in this case is just holding the ball with your paddle whenever bullets are coming, at that point hit then retreat again. It's dangerous and there's angles where the ball can go out without you having any chance to save, but the kicks are really powerful so that helps.

2. I start working on the top and the middle, trying to not go down at all until I am holding multiballs or something. If I have saved two balls or so for the multiball on top and have cleared at least 10 or so letters, I tend to not abandon the run because I might be on the brink of giant runs.

Other than that just focus on letters, multipliers, and stay as high as possible. Make sure your multiplier is high and your multiball lasts long: I managed to hold a multiball that earned me almost 2 billion points once. Can't reliably score that much with solo balls.
Ok cheers, all good to know! The guide mentions a wizard mode, so I might start with goals to get the middle letters done, then all 3 for wizard mode.

It sounds like the bottom part of the table is there to punish you really....as it's quite hard not to kill the bosses and cause those more difficult ones.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Dunno if this is true play anywhere, tried on PC and got a score but it hasn't got my xbox friends leaderboard. 185m on PC, 28m on xbox. I have some work to do in my friends list challenge.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Oof $20 for one table is rough
It probably is, but at the same time there's crazy amounts of content for a single table. First of all it's 3 layers, so you're effectively playing on 3 different areas in one table. Second of all in EX Mode there's extra tables you access for various missions. Plus with all the variety of the shoot 'em up, hack 'n' slash and such elements it's really nothing like regular pinball tables at all.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably is, but at the same time there's crazy amounts of content for a single table. First of all it's 3 layers, so you're effectively playing on 3 different areas in one table. Second of all in EX Mode there's extra tables you access for various missions. Plus with all the variety of the shoot 'em up, hack 'n' slash and such elements it's really nothing like regular pinball tables at all.
Dont get me wrong, im gonna buy it. I grew up on Kirby’s Pinball Land. I’ve spent like $400 on digital pinball tables since the PS3 days lol

Dont ask me what ive spent playing real pinball

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I REALLY want to enjoy this but I'm really struggling to keep track of the ball with my colour blindness!
Even the colour adjustment modes don't seem to be helping, my brain is confusing the ball with some of the bullet hell shots :(
enable the trail for the ball in the settings

the bonus tables are bonkers, there is one which is like a bossfight, totally awesome!
and the soundtrack is already stuck in my head

this game is just great

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Oof $20 for one table is rough
it is in the vein of the old Naxat pinball games which were also "one table" and those were all sold for fullprice..

Demon´s Tilt is including a fuckton of secrets, bonus tables(play the ex mode and not normal!) and the table itself has three sections. it is basically many tables in one. better to have one complex table than more tables which are shallow.

i think 20 bucks is a steal for this game as it has unlimited replayability and there is nothing like it on the market.

besides that, i only hear people talking about Demon´s Crush, there was also Alien Crush for the PCEngine and Jaki Crush for the SNES which is really great too. as far as i know Jaki Crush was available in japan only. so if someone wants more and didn´t know about those, check them out.

Last edited:

thepotatoman

Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Am I the only one who gets worse at pinball tables as I play them more? I still haven't beaten the 265 mil high score I got on launch night, even though I've played a lot since then.

Happens every time i get into video game pinball too.

Irrotational

Oct 25, 2017
350m, everything clicked, 99 multi, and a 3 ball lock in multi ball whooo!
Nice! I managed a one off of 70m but not got all the words lit yet.

Any tips for hitting the bumpers needed for arcane early on? I really struggle to get the ball in there.

Also any tips for hitting the Scorpio ramp in the top bit? Is it off left bumper or right bumper?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, got 120 MM, I'm improving I guess.

How do you increase your multiplier? I got like lots of multipliers by playing in the middle table a lot, so I don't know what I was specifically doing

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is in the vein of the old Naxat pinball games which were also "one table" and those were all sold for fullprice..

Demon´s Tilt is including a fuckton of secrets, bonus tables(play the ex mode and not normal!) and the table itself has three sections. it is basically many tables in one. better to have one complex table than more tables which are shallow.

i think 20 bucks is a steal for this game as it has unlimited replayability and there is nothing like it on the market.

besides that, i only hear people talking about Demon´s Crush, there was also Alien Crush for the PCEngine and Jaki Crush for the SNES which is really great too. as far as i know Jaki Crush was available in japan only. so if someone wants more and didn´t know about those, check them out.
Have you played Battle Pinball on SNES?
I actually prefer it to all of those Naxat games.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Was just too damn tired to get a good result in yesterday after a long day of work yesterday. I'll try beating that 3.8 billion score today, again.

Irrotational

Oct 25, 2017
Was just too damn tired to get a good result in yesterday after a long day of work yesterday. I'll try beating that 3.8 billion score today, again.
Good luck! :)

Another question I'm afraid. When you have a multi ball do you still try and cradle the balls? Or do you just flip them around the table relying on instincts to keep them in play?