Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. If Biden is forced to step down for anyone a large part of his base will be disenfranchised. If he's replaced with someone as ideologically at odds with him as Sanders, I think that's pretty much it for November. Sad to say but the only real shots we have now I think are if Biden stays in and wins in November, or Sanders somehow overcomes the odds and wins the most delegates before the convention.
Biden could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and still win the most delegates.

May 26, 2018
There's absolutely no way Biden is replaced on the ticket without him voluntarily stepping down. And even so, it'd have to go to someone that's not currently running. Otherwise, you're going to tear the party apart with accusations of nefarious tactics.

Wracking my brain, and the only person that could POSSIBLY keep the party from fracturing in such an instance would be someone like Michelle Obama. And that ain't happening.
You know, Michelle Obama crossed my mind too. And I too thought “she’d never do it” but what if the circumstances are “the country’s about to tear itself apart because Biden is actually a rapist”?

Might she? Is it in her character to make sacrifices like that? I don’t know much about her other than she hated being in the political world.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What "believe women" means to me is obviously different. I can simultaneously not dismiss one's allegations while not passing final judgement as to guilt.
No that's fine, you just Kinda Believe Women, but need the patriarchal system to prove the guilt of the abuser before you can be sure about it.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and you just spout bullshit. Living in a world where everything can be placed in boxes of black and white must be great.
This isn't even the first accusation that Biden has been inappropriate with women, this is just the most extreme story we've heard so far.

And yeah, assuming the woman is right when she accuses a powerful man of assault is sort of the point dude.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Innocent until Proven Guilty might be a valid point if the legal system didn’t exist to support the powerful
Yup. Exactly. It's why #BelieveWomen exists in the first place. The system denies justice to women accusing powerful men with a 99.5% efficiency rate. MeToo is all about going around the broken justice system and delivering justice on a societal level out of necessity.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, I'm really growing to love these thread specific guidelines that show up at the bottom of each page. Such an improvement over relying on threadmarks.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We all knew about the hair sniffing stuff but this is way worse than I thought.
It's something I knew was a real possibility because of the hair sniffing and personal space issues but there wasn't really much I could do to stop it than vote for Bernie since he was the last man standing. Which I did.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If I were to give him the benefit of the doubt (something I'm usually not eager to do, and even less so today) I'd say maybe he's trying to say that he hopes Trump would be a strong leader because strong leadership is currently needed to deal with the pandemic. I'm finding this response more coherent than what he said yesterday about "the cure"

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with those saying if Biden steps down that it shouldn't go to Sanders because he didn't have the numbers with Biden's base.

The entire situation playing out right now could straight up work tremendously to sell people on Bernie's platform and why we need it.

I'm not sure how folks are not seeing that. Hopefully Bernie can position himself to point and connect the dots even further.

The corona virus is literally demo'ing why we need much of what Bernie has been pushing for ages.

RussTC3

Nov 28, 2018
If I were to give him the benefit of the doubt (something I'm usually not eager to do, and even less so today) I'd say maybe he's trying to say that he hopes Trump would be a strong leader because strong leadership is currently needed to deal with the pandemic. I'm finding this response more coherent than what he said yesterday about "the cure"
He was essentially saying we should all want the president to be doing good/be competent in a time like this.

In a perfect world that would be easy.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean take the accusations seriously and investigate. No one should be automatically labeled guilty.
Legally, no. Socially? If there's credibility to the claim (there is) and the woman doesn't have some history of being a con artist (she doesn't) then yeah, we should believe her until proven otherwise. The justice system, politicians, and the media have long been enemies to the woman that accuse powerful men. If we took down Al Franken then Joe Biden is a no brainer.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Legally, no. Socially? If there's credibility to the claim (there is) and the woman doesn't have some history of being a con artist (she doesn't) then yeah, we should believe her until proven otherwise. The justice system, politicians, and the media have long been enemies to the woman that accuse powerful men. If we took down Al Franken then Joe Biden is a no brainer.
The media took down Franken, if we're being honest.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they did their part with Franken. It'd be nice if they backed us up here too.
I bet they'll be running the story within 72 hours, they love things like this but their main story will be COVID because, well, they're stupidly bad at running multiple stories and COVID is a bigger story. Not to mention most their reporters are working from home rather than on the ground doing interviews to get corroborating details.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The events she described are far beyond what Franken did (which still was very bad of course). People did the right thing with regards to Franken so there is some hope they would do the right thing this time

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they'll be running the story within 72 hours, they love things like this but their main story will be COVID because, well, they're stupidly bad at running multiple stories and COVID is a bigger story.
I genuinely hope that's the case. I'm weary of the media and their relationship with Joe Biden and I expect the worst from them in this regard. They've been shady as hell this election season.

Status
Not open for further replies.