Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of getting close to posting tweets without context. Could you offer more than a word as to what your thoughts are on this article?

Reading it, it makes sense that he doesn't want to frame it as a partisan battle, but this reply kind of irks me:
"I have not been criticizing the president, but I've been pointing out where there is disagreement on how to proceed," Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said on ABC's "The View."
No point in handling Trump's missteps with kid gloves here. Call out his lack of leadership.

Dartastic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of getting close to posting tweets without context. Could you offer more than a word as to what your thoughts are on this article?

Reading it, it makes sense that he doesn't want to frame it as a partisan battle, but this reply kind of irks me:

No point in handling Trump's missteps with kid gloves here. Call out his lack of leadership.
Yeah. I WANT someone to fight, ffs. I want him to highlight how badly Trump fucked this up. Call his ass out!

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I read the article. I want him to fight, ffs. I want him to highlight how badly Trump fucked this up.
That's the purpose of the attacks ads that will be aired at a later time for the most effective use. Biden is coming across as okay here. There is a time and place for everything and right now it isn't necessary to Biden to attack Trump when Trump keeps on handing Dems great material for later use.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, he's saying he doesn't want to politicize it and yet that's exactly the plan. It's good framing. It also allows him to look like a good guy while attack dogs ravage trump for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I had nothing to do with the thread reply banner. It was already there when I came on this morning. But I am not the only moderator who has been troubled by the use of "dementia" in political discussions.
Ok, you posted yesterday saying that you had made that "case to the mod team multiple times, and spent a lot of time doing it too". But if you're not the only one who has been troubled by it, I guess someone else could have made that change in policy at this time without your involvement and I apologize for assuming you were responsible based on the posts you made yesterday
The discussion in here shifted to senility, which the thread banner seems to allow ("presence of mind"), so I weighed in on that from a personal standpoint and from a standpoint of someone's personal dignity - not from a standpoint of censoring people.
Ok thanks for the clarification. it's difficult sometimes to keep what is personal opinion in posts from moderators separate from what is moderation policy. Your use of "IMO" should have clued me in that it was the latter. My bad.
Sanders literally had a heart attack. What are you talking about?
Except we know for a fact that Bernie had a heart attack. We cannot say the same for Biden's "dementia" without hearsay and rumor mongering from questionable sources.
The person i replied to brought up "acute medical episodes" along with "aging", and "lifelong physiological conditions" as "sending a signal that it is okay to diminish ANYONE who is experiencing aging". In that context, both the heart attack of sanders and the possibility of senility of biden and/or sanders should have been covered if this was official moderation policy. But it seems that was that mod's personal opinion and not the moderation policy, so my point was moot.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
....sooo, has a candidate ever been kicked out of a party's primary? Is there a protocol for what happens in that case?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think as the GE ramps up we'll see ads hitting Trump on his handling of the crisis. There's already plenty of people doing it now and it's not having much affect on his favorables.

We could have had Warren who, when her biggest scandal hit took the apparently unheard of step of taking responsibility for her actions and not in some half ass "I'm sorry if you were offended" but actually talking to a chief and actually apologizing. We could have had a candidate who believed in personal accountability.

Also, just as an aside, I'm glad that we have these guidelines posted now but "In the recent weeks" is a fucking joke considering how long some of us have been reporting the people pushing that conspiracy theory.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this needs to be posted here, because this is absolutely disgusting behavior from Biden:
trigger warning: explicit detail of sexual assault
He needs to drop out.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the "Lesser of Two Evils" arguments are about to get a lot more literal with regards to the Evil.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this needs to be posted here, because this is absolutely disgusting behavior from Biden:
trigger warning: explicit detail of sexual assault
He needs to drop out.

For people who can't listen to the Soundcloud, Surfinn made a summary:

I did a summary of the rape allegation:
She is asked by someone else to deliver a gym bag to Biden, down towards the capitol. She arrives, they end up alone in a side area, there wasn't even any exchange or delivery. He immediately pushes her up against the wall, starts kissing her, then penetrates her under the skirt with his fingers. He said "do you wanna go somewhere else" while it was happening. She pulled away once he was finished, clearly upset. He then said "come on, man! I thought/heard you liked me!" He looked annoyed. He then pointed his finger at her and said "you're nothing. Nothing" Then soon afterwords attempted to console her by grabbing her by the shoulders and said "you're ok, you're fine". She says that the "you're nothing" exchange has stuck with her ever since. "People wanna know why women don't come forward.. that's a good example why"
Fuck Joe Biden

RailWays

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Joe is a piece of shit. If only a better candidate were leading I wouldn't feel as bummed about casting a vote for them in November.

If nothing else, he deserves to be taken to task on these allegations. I doubt the party governance will make any changes though.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
This is a reason why Bloomberg was and Biden is a weak candidate choice, because with them an attack vector on Trump, his history of interactions with women, will be unused and unaddressed in the general, because these candidates won't want to draw attention to their own records.

May 26, 2018
This is a reason why Bloomberg was and Biden is a weak candidate choice, because the result is that an attack vector on Trump, his history of interactions with women, gets closed off and unaddressed in the general, because these candidates won't want to draw attention to their own records.
And Trump would attack them anyway because he’s impervious to crime.

SushiReese

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys think Cuomo would be a good VP choice? We need the best to defeat Trump.
Think of how Trump could still achieve his highest polls even he mishandled this biggest public crisis in modern history? Democrats basically left Trump escape the blame of this crisis.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think Cuomo would be a good VP choice? We need the best to defeat Trump.
Think of how Trump could still achieve his highest polls even he mishandled this biggest public crisis in modern history? Democrats basically left Trump escape the blame of this crisis.
VP would be a downgrade from Governor of New York.

To expound a bit, the VP role is about getting someone executive experience. Governor of NY has the most executive exposure in the country.

RussTC3

Nov 28, 2018
I would honestly applaud the party in using supers to prop someone else besides Biden over this. Would prove that they actually take these allegations seriously. Problem then becomes who do they choose and will voters accept the change?
This is not going to happen. Biden is essentially the presumptive Democratic nominee. Not speaking specifically to this or any other accusation, but if necessary, he will reiterate his prior statements that he is sorry for his improper behavior/how he has acted in the past.

RailWays

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not going to happen. Biden is essentially the presumptive Democratic nominee. Not speaking specifically to this or any other accusation, but if necessary, he will reiterate his prior statements that he is sorry for his improper behavior/how he has agreed in the past.
Oh, I totally expect that no action will be taken. Just saying I would be impressed if the party actually did do something.

RussTC3

Nov 28, 2018
He would be, but this ticket has to have some diversity, at the very minimum, a woman, which Biden has already committed to.
I wish it was a very popular woman. A celebrity even. I don't understand why Democrats don't recruit and run some of the more popular Hollywood celebrities.

SushiReese

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He would be, but this ticket has to have some diversity, at the very minimum, a woman, which Biden has already committed to.
I wish it was a very popular woman. A celebrity even. I don't understand why Democrats don't recruit and run some of the more popular Hollywood celebrities.
Beyonce for VP?
s

thoughthaver

Feb 6, 2020
the democrats are already seen as out of touch ivory tower elites and you want them to recruit hollywood celebrities? c'mon man.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no way Biden is replaced on the ticket without him voluntarily stepping down. And even so, it'd have to go to someone that's not currently running. Otherwise, you're going to tear the party apart with accusations of nefarious tactics.

Wracking my brain, and the only person that could POSSIBLY keep the party from fracturing in such an instance would be someone like Michelle Obama. And that ain't happening.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see this being much more than a speedbump for Biden. People didn't really make a big deal when the story first broke and there's even less incentive to give it the attention it deserves now.

We could have had Warren.

RussTC3

Nov 28, 2018
the democrats are already seen as out of touch ivory tower elites and you want them to recruit hollywood celebrities? c'mon man.
Who cares how they are perceived. We need to stop being afraid of things. Remember those stupid "Obama is the biggest celebrity ads!" Who cares lol How is being a well liked person, so long as you hold strong, smart positions, a bad thing?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Celebs melt on camera. They're all doing puff pieces that are so prescreened up the butt, they blacklist you forever if you ask something awkward.

Politician questioning and celeb interviews are miles apart.

sleepnaught

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even a moderate, but....Why the fuck could we just not have gotten Michelle Obama at least? She would have utterly annihilated Trump in every conceivable fashion. I know she wants out of politics, but fuck. Now we have a choice between two rapists. Is anyone here really going to give anyone shit if they decide to stay home instead of making that choice?

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even a moderate, but....Why the fuck could we just not have gotten Michelle Obama at least? She would have utterly annihilated Trump in every conceivable fashion. I know she wants out of politics, but fuck. Now we have a choice between two rapists. Is anyone here really going to give anyone shit if they decide to stay home instead of making that choice?
Simple, she didn't want to run.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't see this being much more than a speedbump for Biden. People didn't really make a big deal when the story first broke and there's even less incentive to give it the attention it deserves now.

We could have had Warren.
I'm not even sure what the endgame is for Dems who decide to not vote for Biden because of these allegations. One vote loss for Biden is one vote closer for Trump to be reelected. While I'm not handwaving the allegations at all, Biden is all but certain what we're getting in the fall.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what the endgame is for Dems who decide to not vote for Biden because of these allegations. One vote loss for Biden is one vote closer for Trump to be reelected. While I'm not handwaving the allegations at all, Biden is all but certain what we're getting in the fall.

I agree. If Biden is forced to step down for anyone a large part of his base will be disenfranchised. If he's replaced with someone as ideologically at odds with him as Sanders, I think that's pretty much it for November. Sad to say but the only real shots we have now I think are if Biden stays in and wins in November, or Sanders somehow overcomes the odds and wins the most delegates before the convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.