• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 18 hours, 34 minutes, 51 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Coldplay won't tour again until they can make it environmentally beneficial

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the same way about nickelback? Idk their music sucks and is ridiculously generic, but why so much vitriol? I remember the video of them getting rocks thrown at them, the frontman stops the show to warn they'll leave if it continues, he gets hit with a rock and then they walk off. People were like "YEAH FUCK THEM THEY SUCK"... wait really? Relax, they make generic shitty music like tons of other popular musicians.
Their first three albums are genuinely great.

Anyway, good news. Hope more will follow.

Oct 28, 2017
Not a big fan of Coldplay but this is a great move. Lots of unnecessary snark in this thread.

I just don't really see a solution to the problem. They can shrink down their performance to the basics and go back to 4 guys travelling in a van when it comes to Europe, if they really want to do it. But world tours are a different question, the necessary number of flights alone makes them pretty unsustainable.

It sucks because the way music can create bonds around the world is amazing and I'd like to keep seeing my favourite bands perform. But I'm aware world tours by environmentally conscious artists are pretty hypocritical.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
congrats to coldplay for spearheading the return to dirigible balloon air travel movement.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Good on them, but I imagine that would be hard to impossible to actually pull off.

You must need a huge amount of resources to ship all the people and equipment around. And then there is the amazing amount of waste produced by big crowds.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even listen to them, but why make fun of them when we keep asking celebrities to be more involved in climate change?

I commend their attitude, and I hope other bands do it as well.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Concertgoers going to start up a cap and trade for their carbon footprint.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That's kind of a bummer but I respect it. I love them but haven't actually seen them live in over a decade (last time in 2008). They played ACL in 2011 but it was opposite Kanye who was (is? it's hard to decide with him these days) my favorite solo artist so I made sure to get fairly close to the stage to see him instead. They've not played Austin since then so I finally bought tickets to see them in Houston on their last tour (a year in advance!) but then a hurricane rained it out and they never re-scheduled.