CoD WW2 is launching with only 9 base multiplayer maps (+ 3 war mode maps)

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I agree with your premise OP, especially since War might as well be a separate thing like Zombies with the way they've been pushing it. 9 maps for your standard modes at launch is really unacceptable.

Y’all are all here upset about the number of maps and I’m sitting here shedding tears about how Raven software has been reduced to the role of yearly franchise map makers...

I will always remember you Raven Software. You gave me Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance and I love you for it. You will always have a place in my heart. I miss you T_T
Singularity yo. BioShockish clone that managed to be better than 1 and Infinite.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of hard to make truly great maps and original ones that fit into the CoD formula at the rate the games are churned out without any significant overlap.
It’s just become too divisive. Often you hear on here and that other forum that all the maps are trash but the game community itself likes them.

Doesn’t help that people tend to state a maps quality as an objective thing rather than their opinion.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Everything was three lanes.

Honestly, the only CoD games that had well designed maps were CoD4 and MW2. Rest not so much.
I agree with this. The three-lane map design is good for competitive games, where the symmetry prevents one spawn being better than the other. However, I feel this cuts away the character of the map. It makes you feel like you're in a three-lane arena with a specific aesthetic theme rather than an actual place. CoD4 and MW2 made me feel like I was in a remote Russian town, a war-torn street in the middle-east, or a favela in Rio. More recent games lose this quality for the sake of symmetry. While not all maps lose their character, there are certainly a handful of great maps in more recent CoDs, the overall feel of the games is watered down as a result. I understand the function-over-form approach to the maps, but a little bit more form won't hurt.

I'm not a map designer by any means, but this is what I've sort of been feeling in my recent years playing Call of Duty.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
9 is good for me as Im someone who has to know the map very well in order to do well.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only shoot on this matter is the beta maps were trash—that’s four out the gate—so you’re banking on the rest to be good.