CNN reporting Switch as big winner on Black Friday

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't surprise me. Xbox and PS4 are old for one thing. And I saw a whole lot of people with Switches when I was at my local store on BF. A few Xbox and PS4s here and there though.
More like a newer device stays ahead of one that's in its later years. It'd be a bigger news story if the PS4 was still coming out on top.

That said, the very fact that it's even in this discussion like that is a testament to just how much of a beast the current gen PlayStation has been!
PS4 Pro and XBX are only 3 months older than Switch

Oct 24, 2019
I want a Switch, but the "deals" were awful this year, so I refuse to buy one at the moment.

I'll be getting a PS5 at launch, so unless they really sweeten the deal for Switch next year, looks like I won't be getting one until 2021...

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
PS4 Pro and XBX are only 3 months older than Switch
Which is irrelevant. The PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013 and the base model of the PS4 is still, last I checked, the one that sells more. Only so much a mid gen upgrade was going to do and next gen consoles are obviously looming, unlike the case for the Switch, which is at the prime of its life.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The more MK8D continues to be an evergreen system seller, the less chances of an MK9 as a Switch generation release. :(
Chalk this up to my lack of imagination but asides from a few more characters/tracks( and they could do that via DLC), I'm not sure what they can improve on enough( at least with the Switch hardware) to justify a sequel right now. The Switch affords Nintendo the ability to repackage the game to a significantly larger market than what it was afforded on the Wii U.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Which is irrelevant. The PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013 and the base model of the PS4 is still, last I checked, the one that sells more. Only so much a mid gen upgrade was going to do and next gen consoles are obviously looming, unlike the case for the Switch, which is at the prime of its life.
sure but, like not everyone is gonna want to upgrade. Especially with a new console coming out soon. Also, both og systems have been out since like 2013.
Sure, I guess each person looks at things differently. When there is such a significant revision at some point, I consider it a reboot, I realize though that others will look at it differently. Even from my point of view though, I do agree with the fact that new gen is looming being a significant factor.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Combination of Switch having one of the best year's since launch, old competition that is on it's way out, and of course Pokemon. Interesting to see what next gen does to Switch sales next year. The name of the game is the game and Switch will probably have another stellar software year culminating in Zelda BoTW 2. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand will have new hardware which always sells tons.

Oct 27, 2017
After checking his data, Benji's general range for November is around 1 million for PS4 and 800K for Xbox One (both decline year on year) with Switch being of course up year on year. Sounds about right I would say.

I remember some of his observations : the 199$ PS4 and 150$ Xbox One S All Digital led the pack for both console, unsurprisingly, however he thought the Switch Lite was not that strong (just like in Japan maybe the OG Switch will remain the strongest proposition then).

Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Interesting. The $200 PS4 with God of War, Horizon, and Last of Us is a hell of a deal and I wondered which would come out on top. I'd imagine a lot of people already own PS4's in the U.S. though.
PS4 has had a lot of great sales though and has a 3.5 year head start on Switch. Switch is still new, plus with the Lite this year a lot of people are jumping on it for their kids.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I guess each person looks at things differently. When there is such a significant revision at some point, I consider it a reboot, I realize though that others will look at it differently.
That's certainly an interesting take but I'd wager that most people just consider them slight upgrades. Next gen hardware from Sony and Mircosoft will be much bigger than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X which I think only account for less than 1/4 of their respective hardware sales.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I love my switch but will forever hate the game prices. Even years old first party games still run full price to $40. Makes it difficult to impulse buy anything.

Monkey D.

Oct 31, 2017
also bought one. Getting it on wednesday. Pokemon sword aswell and getting mario kart as download code and asking for luigis mansion 3 for christmas.

cant wait.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Will wait for NPD. Every year we get a Switch won BF thread devolves into console wars.

Switch was shown to have led BF sales last 2 years as well and we just get people attacking the source rather than discussing the sales.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It is concerning if it's sold at the same price as the 2019 model.
It also includes $60 worth of software.

I love my switch but will forever hate the game prices. Even years old first party games still run full price to $40. Makes it difficult to impulse buy anything.
It's been fascinating to see folks "New to Nintendo" with the Switch realize that their games don't hit $10 after a year.

Feb 10, 2018
The switch has always been a great idea, ever since it's first trailer I knew it was going to be a hit.
I do wonder what the future is for Nintendo, I wonder if they will do there own cloud stuff (renting stadia or Xcloud hardware)
To enable next gen 3rd party games on switch and being able to make Nintendo exclusives with next gen hardware.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
5.74m by the PS4 in 2015.

Switch already got damn close last year with 5.64m sold.
Damn 5.64m? I have trouble seeing how it won't beat it with this year's lineup. I'll tell you something though, if it doesn't beat it this year I don't think it will ever. Pokemon and Switch Lite should easily take it to the top though.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Any black Friday anecdotes, ERA?
Yeah, I stopped at my local Target on Friday after work on the hope to buy a $30 BotW. I wasn't surprised that the store had sold out of BotW, but I was surprised by the state of the Switch section. The section was wiped out. I think I counted a single new-model Switch in the glass case and maybe a dozen or so various games spread throughout the Switch game shelves. The Black Friday doorbuster endcap was completely barren.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Wonder if other publishers make a mistake by devalueing their software so fast lately or if Nintendo just trained their audience too well. Releases sometimes drop to half prive just week after release even if they seem to sell well. Maybe the competition is just bigger in the other platforms with all the AAA 3rd party games.
(I know that you want to put games with MTX in as many hands as possible and hope the recoup the money there, but it starts to happen to singleplayer no-MTX games too, line Star Wars).

Jun 23, 2019
Sure, I guess each person looks at things differently. When there is such a significant revision at some point, I consider it a reboot, I realize though that others will look at it differently. Even from my point of view though, I do agree with the fact that new gen is looming being a significant factor.
lol It’s not really a matter of perspective though, that’s really the lay of the situation. The mid gen consoles were seen as refreshes to the already established base consoles to investors and developers. Nobody saw the Pro and X1 as a reboot persay, just a kore powerful form of the current status quo. With these consoles entering into the 6th-7th year of their lifecycle, nobody should be surprised the Switch is selling like it is, but nobody should be acting like Switch is now selling like a beast, especially considering Nintendo didn’t meet their sales goal last fiscal year.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I contributed

Decided I might as well grab the Switch V2 since it came with Mario Rabbids and Starlink for free, both perfect gifts for my nephew.

Time to get funky with the old one and see what all I can do with it.