Christian Bale: A Fourth Nolan Batman Film Would've Been 'Overindulgent'

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love the entire trilogy, though will happily admit that TDKR is flawed.

People at the time complained there wasn’t enough Batman in it, but that moment he finally returns in the bike chase felt so triumphant after the ending of TDK and the long build up at the start of TDKR.

Absolutely adore the ending too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for all its problems TDKR rounded out the trilogy well. i guess credit is due for not cashing out on more movies regardless of how they would've ended up

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for all its problems TDKR rounded out the trilogy well. i guess credit is due for not cashing out on more movies regardless of how they would've ended up
Given the timing, a fourth Batman film likely meant getting connected to Superman/Man of Steel and a whole bunch of more films.

Not gonna lie, would’ve rather seen that instead of what we got.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt a big fan of the movie but it had its moments plus the end montage was so good

Also returning to do a 4th so many years later would be hype as shit but im glad that they dont seem the type to be into doing that.

I want to see bale work with nolan again tho. Hes still a great actor and ford v ferrari was dope. But it also reminded me that its the first movie this dude has starred in for a while that i really liked.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
TDKR > BvS and JL for sure.
Well yeah.
I liked TDKR at the time but I think the mediocrity/badness of the other DC films after it for the most part have really made it look better in retrospect.

It's a lot easier to overlook silly things like "How did Batman get back to Gotham so quickly" when Justice League is doing dumb shit like "Why did all the heroes just kinda leave the world ending thingmajig in a car park."

Jegriva

Sep 23, 2019
Well yeah.
I liked TDKR at the time but I think the mediocrity/badness of the other DC films after it for the most part have really made it look better in retrospect.

It's a lot easier to overlook silly things like "How did Batman get back to Gotham so quickly" when Justice League is doing dumb shit like "Why did all the heroes just kinda leave the world ending thingmajig in a car park."
"Why policemen don't shoot?"

Meanwhile in Civil War Iron Man gets hurt by Steve Roger's fists. Iron Man that got regularly shot by TANKS.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"Why policemen don't shoot?"

Meanwhile in Civil War Iron Man gets hurt by Steve Roger's fists. Iron Man that got regularly shot by TANKS.
Eh, Strength differences are the easiest thing to overlook imo. The history of all super hero comics/anime/movies/whatever has always boiled down to "They're as strong as we need them to be for this story."

The Justice League leaving a maguffin unattended in a car park, where it gets picked up off screen from by the villain is just so hilarious to me though.

Khasim

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like TDKR is the Spider-Man 3 of the Nolan Batman trilogy - it had some really stupid things in it and is visibly worse than the other two, which makes a lot of people hate it, but if you're a fan then you can forgive the missteps and enjoy the movie despite them.

I recognize both of those movies have serious flaws, but love them despite them, because the good parts outweigh the bad to me.

Also, a Nolan Batman Beyond-styled movie with older Bruce coming back to help the new Batman is something I'd be 100% on board of, just as much as I would love to see Spider-Man 4.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Begins > Dark Knight >>> Rises > whatever garbage DCEU includes Batman
Should have stopped after the first film, next best chance was the second one, after that just endless trash.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Your one of the few, it's a terrible movie and actively hurts the trilogy. I can't stand it. It's why I am not surprised they didn't make a 4th one.
You might want to check the receipts on that statement. You’re in the minority on that one. It’s just an obnoxiously loud minority.

Kuma Bear

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The only issue I had is Bane just lacked a presence. I think maybe after the design of Two Face and The Joker, Bane looked like a heavy thug, like a rare NPC before you fight a boss in one of the Arkham Games.

jelly

Oct 26, 2017
DKR is just kinda sloppy, more so than the others, they certainly aren't without criticism either. Just a bit frustrating how obvious the flaws are that should have been corrected. Nolan can't direct a fight scene to save his life, the day light fights, Bane fight, police running into gun fire, the fire bat logo, Selina fight etc. It's so bad but honestly the build up, slow burn scenes are great.

clevbrowns95

Nov 8, 2017
TDKR was already overindulgent, so I would agree. It would have been nice to make another film with Ledger as the Joker, but since he died, there really wasn't much more they could have done. It's time for a new start.

JB1981

Oct 28, 2017
You might want to check the receipts on that statement. You’re in the minority on that one. It’s just an obnoxiously loud minority.
Imagine being Lothars and reading the article linked in the OP, seeing that the studio actively came to Nolan and Bale asking if they could make a fourth movie and hating a movie so much that you STILL put forth the argument that the reason Nolan didn’t make another movie was because the movie was so bad the studio didn’t want them to make another.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being Lothars and reading the article linked in the OP, seeing that the studio actively came to Nolan and Bale asking if they could make a fourth movie and hating a movie so much that you STILL put forth the argument that the reason Nolan didn’t make another movie was because the movie was so bad the studio didn’t want them to make another.
You all can pretend whatever you want, it's a bad movie. A 4th one probably would have been bad.

Biggersmaller

Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I would enjoy 50 new Nolan Batman films at the quality of the first 3. I know people seem to dislike Rises, but I enjoyed it. Bane was entertaining, the opening scene was badass, Hathaway’s Selina Kyle was perfect. To me, the usual logic can’t be a consideration given the premise:

A vigilante with military grade vehicles who remains anonymous despite being a defense contractor owning billionaire orphan living in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rises was imo an overindulgent mess already, and Bale is probably right, but who am I kidding I would have loved to have a 4th Nolan-Baleman flick. At least it would have moved the conversation beyond TDKR

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they should have probably stopped after 2, but 3 was still a 7/10 movie, and an okay place to stop it.

Jegriva

Sep 23, 2019
I like in TDKR the little nod to Batman Beyond and when Btman and Catwoman walks into Bane's lair

The original script with Heather ledger in the third movie would have been fantastic
Nolan in 2005 said that Burton's biggets mistake was killing the Joker. I wonder what he had in mind for the character.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always love TDKR haters nitpicking the movie to death but completely gush over BB excusing all of its flaws. Re-watched the trilogy in 4k not that long ago. Begins was a chore to sit through. The origin stuff is on point, but the action is butchered shit. It's a perfect origin movie that revived Batman, but that's it. And I'll never forgive them using Scarecrow as a half assed secondary villain.

I will say it had the better soundtrack though.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
TDKR doesn't hold up as well to scrutiny, but it was a damn good time none the less. It felt like a good end to the trilogy, any more was unnecessary.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree. TDK ended on a spot that really did hint at a new status quo (Batman being wanted) that was interesting and worth exploring. But Rises really did bring finality
I would agree in that the ending was good in that while it did bring finality it also established what could've been an interesting new status quo but I personally disliked everything about how they got there. I feel weird saying I hated everything about that movie except the ending but it's true.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with stopping after 3. Rises had this Lost World-vibe after a while where it seemed like Nolan lost interest while filming.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
One of my biggest gripes with the final Batman/Bane fight is that Batman just...punches Bane in the face repeatedly. I wanted to see some kind of "cunning old Batman" fight. Like if they swapped Batman's tactics in the two fights, with the first fight having Batman just trying to brute force Bane, and then in the final showdown they take the fight into the bank and Batman uses all of his tricks to take Bane out.

But I honestly like DKR a fair amount. I like a lot of what they TRIED to do, even if the execution kind of sucked at times.

Surprisingly TDK is hard for me to watch also, as the more I see it, the more Joker just becomes some magic fucking character that has incredible clairvoyance.