Christian Bale: A Fourth Nolan Batman Film Would've Been 'Overindulgent'

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I love the Nolan’s Batman trilogy and I agree. I know some are more down on TDKR than me, but regardless that movie had a satisfying conclusion.

Now, while I don’t want a 10+ year later The Dark Knight Returns sort of story, that at least is a justifiable narrative path for a 4th movie. Anything else, even a “Robin” movie, would have been self indulgent. It’s kind of like the Toy Story trilogy, it has a great three movie arc with a pretty definitive ending - years later a 4th was unnecessarily made but it was generally good enough that it kind of justifies its existence.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"One of the few."

Unless you know. You ignore the box office,critical reviews and audience reviews.🙄

Some of you live in your reality.
I live in a reality that Dark Knight Rises is a terrible movie that really showed that dc kept dropping the ball after it. I'm not surprised that some like it but they are in the minority by quite a bit.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the 3rd one seemed just too big and unwieldy. I get what they were trying to accomplish but a lot of it just kinda comes off as half baked or could have been dedicated to their own film.

But Im also one of the few who thinks that Batman Begins is the best one out of the 3.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah the 3rd one seemed just too big and unwieldy. I get what they were trying to accomplish but a lot of it just kinda comes off as half baked or could have been dedicated to their own film.

But Im also one of the few who thinks that Batman Begins is the best one out of the 3.
To me, The Dark Knight is the best out of the three. It was superb and perfectly balanced. I do wish a fourth one was made, but like everyone else said, TDR, pretty much closed out the series.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
I thought TDKR was fine, I just didn't think Batman needed such a messy ending, having to be broken and come back just to leave for good again. I thought it was nice him and Selina Kyle ran away to start a new life, even if he would be immediately recognizable to much of the world.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is that when I watched Batman Begins in a premiere showing, and Gordon warns Batman about a guy who is into theatricals like himself and then gives him the Joker card, the reaction from the whole audience is something I will never forget.

Can't thank Bale and Nolan enough for that experience.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I live in a reality that Dark Knight Rises is a terrible movie that really showed that dc kept dropping the ball after it. I'm not surprised that some like it but they are in the minority by quite a bit.
Yeah it absolutely is terrible, whoever did greenlight half of the scenario lowkey had to be the same person who did greenlight Deadpool in x men origins. And no its not a stretch.

motherless

Nov 6, 2017
The first one is great. The 2nd one was okay but gave me Batman fatigue and I never bothered to watch the 3rd. I keep meaning to watch it but the motivation just is not there.

Zerokoolpsx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was alright. It concluded pretty well with him and Selina running off to start a life and that he retires while Blake takes over the mantle.
If they were to do a 4th, Bruce would have to come out of retirement again. A much older and more cynical Bruce like in the Dark Knight Returns.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
watching TDK it seems like they wanted to leave things wide open and to drastically expand the Nolan's version of Gotham but Ledger's passing threw a huge wrench in their plans.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
watching TDK it seems like they wanted to leave things wide open and to drastically expand the Nolan's version of Gotham but Ledger's passing threw a huge wrench in their plans.
Yeah, he was originally supposed to be in Rises so, it probably changed things up a whole lot. They also had plans to revisit Joker origin story with him. Shame really.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I was going to contribute to the thread with more funny DKR gifs, but then found this one...which is quite nice. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie and still do.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should've stopped when it became clear Chris really wasn't interested in doing a third film. Seems like he did it out of some sense of obligation and it shows.