Christian Bale: A Fourth Nolan Batman Film Would've Been 'Overindulgent'

Sep 14, 2019
Christian Bale revealed why we never got a Dark Knight 4.

"We were never arrogant to assume that we had an opportunity beyond one film at a time," Bale told the outlet. "That's something that Chris always would talk about. He'd say, 'This is it. We're making one film. That's all we've got. Then when they came and said, 'You want to go make another?' It was fantastic, but we still said, 'This is it. We will not get another opportunity.'

"Chris had always said to me that if we were fortunate to be able to make three we would stop. 'Let's walk away after that."

"Then when they inevitably came to us and said, 'How about a No. 4?' I said, 'No. We have to stick to Chris' dream, which was always to, hopefully, do a trilogy. Let's not stretch too far and become overindulgent and go for a fourth. That's why we, well Chris, stepped away.

"After that, I was informed my services were no longer required."

Personally I would've been ok with a Dark Knight 4. It could've been the real ending to the trilogy and we could've pretended like The Dark Knight Rises never happened. Or they could've done The Dark Knight Returns and have Blake reach out to Old Man Bruce Wayne for help.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I thought TDKR was fantastic for 2/3 of the movie.

Still probably the most consistent superhero trilogy ever though.

Oct 25, 2017
England
Dark Knight Rises had a real ending anyway, even if it was a stupid one.

The Bruce Wayne of the Nolan movies was never going to stay Batman forever, in fact he was quite happy to hang up the cowl if he thought his work was done and other people could step up and keep Gotham safe. He was easily the most sane Batman ever.

So why would he go back to being Batman after faking his death and moving to France?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

Damn it, I saw a version of this gif years ago but it was glitched out and batman was talking at like 3 times speed. Shit was hilarious. I just can't find it.

VDenter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it would have been better than any of the crap we have gotten since DKR from DC, but good on them for not milking the cow dry.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
As a Batman fan, I love the ending to Rises just to see Bruce Wayne finally happy.

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the new DC films have been so terrible compared to the Nolan trilogy... except Joker I guess.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
TDKR wasn’t great but it put a nice finality on Nolan’s Batman. Coming up with a dumb excuse to get Bruce back in the suit when they spent 3 whole movies emphasizing the point that being Batman was killing him physically/mentally/emotionally would have betrayed all of that.

efr

Jun 19, 2019
I think if Bale was out of it and JGL became Batman Beyond Batman, it wouldve been fine. I didnt need Bale or Nolan tied to Batman for another decade. Theyve made some fantastic stuff since then

Dennis8K

Oct 25, 2017
The meme potential went 1 >> 2 >>>> 3 so I can only imagine the spicy memes a fourth movie would have produced.

Bio

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
TDKR wasn’t great but it put a nice finality on Nolan’s Batman. Coming up with a dumb excuse to get Bruce back in the suit when they spent 3 whole movies emphasizing the point that being Batman was killing him physically/mentally/emotionally would have betrayed all of that.
Agreed. I think the ending of Rises was a little too neat, but meh when I was in the moment in the theater the payoff played really well for me. Not as great on second or third watch but I still quite like it, and I like that they actually stuck to their vision and ended it on their terms. That's not always easy to do when studios are involved and willing to throw tens of millions at you to keep the party going.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I've only ever watched The Dark Knight Rises twice, while I've seen the other two multiple times.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't have minded a fourth movie.

Linkark07

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked this movie and the ending. Not only it showed that Bruce can continue with his life without Batman, but also he overcame his grief after losing Rachel. And we know Gotham is in safe hands thanks to Gordon and Blake.

Hobbes

Incident Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd prefer a spin-off sequel exploring Levitt's character becoming Robin or Nightwing. Maybe even a batman beyond type sequel.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love TDKR but hate the happy retirement ending. But I'm cool with no 4th. BVS Batman is the Batman I've always wanted. Until Justice League fucked it up.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't which I want a comic version of more:

Continuing Burtonverse after Batman Returns or the version of DKR we would have gotten if Ledger hadn't died.

Sweeney Swift

Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I love Nolan but DKR sucked so much if that was the best he had left to provide to the franchise, it was time for him to move on anyway. Nothing at all was lost by him doing other things

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Worked out for the best. The studio is always going to want a sure thing and another Nolan Batman is a sure money maker but it was good of Nolan to walk away.

I'd like to see Bale and Nolan make another movie though.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
The only way it could've continued was with Blake as the new Batman. Bruce spent the movie hammering the point home that anyone can be Batman, and the last shot is of Blake rising up and then "The Dark Knight Rises" logo appearing.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is mediocre

Nolans heart just wasn't in it and it shows.

It had good elements

Bane is one.

But it's outweighed by some truly awful stuff

• The cops underground storyline remains hilarious

• The rooftop fight is amateurish

• The nuke rolling round Gotham

• The final street battle

• The 'twist' with Talia
  • No sense of time passing with Batman away repairing his back

Ooopsklo

Aug 20, 2019
The movie still is mediocre

Nolans heart just wasn't in it and it shows.

It had good elements

Bane is one.

But it's outweighed by some truly awful stuff

• The cops underground storyline remains hilarious

• The rooftop fight is amateurish

• The nuke rolling round Gotham

• The final street battle

• The 'twist' with Talia
  • No sense of time passing with Batman away repairing his back
I think his heart was in it and also think all those things were fine but hey opinions are opinions