CanadaERA COVID-19 Thread | Practice Social Distancing and Virtually Gather Here - All Non-Essential Posting Is Prohibited

Mar 3, 2018
$2000 a month for the next 4 months for people who have lost their jobs. Applications starting soon, and money will be deposited/sent out within 10 days of application.

13000 public worked reshuffled to deal with influx of all these claims and EI claims.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
$2000 a month for the next 4 months for people who have lost their jobs. Applications starting soon, and money will be deposited/sent out within 10 days of application.

13000 public worked reshuffled to deal with influx of all these claims and EI claims.
Anyone who lost their jobs are eligible for the $2000 a month? I hope that would I get. I applied last Friday. We will see.

Cranster

Oct 25, 2017
A co worker of mine first EI payment is around $50 max, so if I'm not getting much with EI I will definitely be applying for additional support.

Will the $2000 a month apply to people like myself though through EI?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, a woman on CBC said she lied about having Covid and boarded a plane because she knew she wouldn't be able to come back to Canada otherwise. Now everyone on that flight could also have it.

We're totally fucked. No one is going to be honest about being sick and this shit is going to spread when more and more people come home.

But yeah, let's just focus on people on cruise ships...
Fucking arrest her. I wish these people could be shamed and named, I cant stand that these people get away with such selfishness

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
For the people affected by job loss during this, do those numbers they announced seem good or bad? I’m curious what the consensus is, since I’m working at one of the “essential” businesses. I’m a little out of the loop.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I WANT TO KNOW HOW SOPHIE IS DOING DURING THESE PRESS CONFERENCES!!

Why won't the press ask the real questions urgghh!!

Divvy

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of these benefits help people who were unemployed and looking for work before the crisis and obviously can't find jobs now?

eissan

Dec 11, 2017
Does the emergency funds go above and beyond EI? so you get EI and the Emergency $2k per person?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Journalists asking about what the government is doing about people who are lying to get on planes.

He keeps ignoring the question about consequences for lying. lol

stan_marsh

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Can you link more information?

Do any of these benefits help people who were unemployed and looking for work before the crisis and obviously can't find jobs now?
Wondering the same.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Also, how much longer will he be self isolating? Will it be 2 weeks after Sophie is healthy?
Justin is in isolation on his own. Sophie's condition has no impact on him in regards to self-isolation.

Self-isolation is only required for 10 days after symptoms present themselves or symptoms disappear, whatever is last.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Good news in that it sounds like the baroque plans announced earlier are becoming simplified.

The prime minister unveiled a new benefit to streamline aid for Canadians who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19

Dubbed the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, the aid will replace the two announced last week as part of a $82-billion funding package.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled the new benefit Wednesday during his now-daily press conference on the steps of Rideau Cottage in Ottawa.

The aid will provide $2,000 per month and last for four months.
Hopefully no strings attached or means testing?

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
Is there anything planned for students or other people who are currently out of work, and likely won't be able to land work for the rest of the year?

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in this $2000.

If this replaces EI, I get nothing. If I get all of it on top of my EI. I'll end up with more money then if I had lost my job.

If it ends up maxing out at 100% income replacement, I'll be happy with that.

More details needed.

Cranster

Oct 25, 2017

If this replaces EI, I get nothing. If I get all of it on top of my EI. I'll end up with more money then if I had lost my job.

More details needed.
Yeah we need more details. Like are people such as myself qualified due to job closure even though I applied for EI?

stan_marsh

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Y’all, it’s UP TO $2000, not a flat $2000 for everyone.
" To support workers and help businesses keep their employees, the government has proposed legislation to establish the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. "

Doesn't say up to.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
" To support workers and help businesses keep their employees, the government has proposed legislation to establish the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. "

Doesn't say up to.
Interesting. Up to is what they said at CTV News.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

More details needed.
100% chance they won't stack it with EI. You'll get your EI payment + the benefit up to a limit of $2k, or your EI only up to 4 months or EI length limit whatever is greater.

That's why they're saying "up to". If you don't qualify for EI, you'll likely get the full benefit, if you're on EI you'll get a combination of both.

Mackaveli

Oct 25, 2017
My mom was temporarily laid off like 2 weeks ago so applied for EI. I hope she gets to claim the $2,000 monthly as she was obviously laid off because of Covid shutting down work at her company.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Anyone know if Walmart pharmacies are just being slammed, are non operating or what? I've been trying to call my local one for a few hours with a busy phone signal.

Mackaveli

Oct 25, 2017
It says on Canada.ca

Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.
My mom hasn't been approved for EI as it is under review right now. But I doubt her EI and Sickness benefit would be for 2,000. It's under review, so would she qualify for the CERB? and get the $2,000?

stan_marsh

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It says on Canada.ca

My mom hasn't been approved for EI as it is under review right now. But I doubt her EI and Sickness benefit would be for 2,000. It's under review, so would she qualify for the CERB? and get the $2,000?
I saw a tweet saying those claims in process will automatically be applied for the CERB.

Mar 3, 2018
I just got my access code in the mail, logged on to the EI website and its still under review. I applied last week on Monday the 16th. I guess ill have to wait another week or so? Anyone have experience with EI?

Cranster

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a tweet saying those claims in process will automatically be applied for the CERB.

I'd still prefer an official response to this from the government. Myself and many people I know cannot afford the minuscule amount EI by itself would only provide by itself.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, based on previous taxes. Morneau mentioned it during the conference. I'm hoping all of this stuff will be collected somewhere.
This is slightly alarming for me.

I more than qualify in 2019 and have filed/been assessed and have an assessment for 2019 but I had 0 dollars income in 2018. Since tax filing date is now June, many people have not filed 2019. So I hope they don't do something like go entirely off 2018 assessments.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go to KalTire yesterday to get a flat fixed (it's one of their essential/emergency services). Positive towards the measures they were taking. At the dropoff I talked to the employee from at least 10 feet away except for the brief second when I transferred my keys to him via a clipboard.

Upon pickup the store was actually locked and I paid via an exterior window they had opened slightly by tapping on the terminal that the guy held through the window.

I don't think they could have been any more careful than they were.

Oct 25, 2017
Victoria, BC
Not everyone has someone that can just repeatedly "fetch things" for them. We want people limiting their contact with others yet are happy to force others to repeatedly goto areas that are a hotbed for infection due to artificial restrictions.

Look I'm not saying there aren't plenty of panic hoarders out there, but we had something like a million people return to Canada last week, many more millions of elderly or vulnerable people and are contemplating putting an arbitrary restriction on all items. It's completely counter-intuitive, those who should stay home will be forced to go out to the store because even if they have someone willing to purchase goods for them, they will struggle to stay under limits while providing for themselves also.

Not everyone has the luxury of leaning on multiple people to help them out, especially the elderly. The panic hoarding will soon stop, there is only so much TP, canned goods and whatnot people can stock up on before they realize they have enough to last a year. It's not a supply issue right now.
true / fair

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I was laid off last Tuesday and applied for EI immediately. I received my access code on Thursday. Will my application just get transferred to the CERB or will I just end up getting EI? It's very unclear based on what's in the news release on Canada.ca. I also cannot access the site's log-in since it's getting hammered right now. Any clarification appreciated!

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They finally gave up on saying "please" to every travelers to self-quarantine. It was really stupid to begin with. I don't know why it took them long to do this. I really hate how the government handled this.
We're Canadian, we're nice.

Should have done how Italy is communicating.

Cranster

Oct 25, 2017
They finally gave up on saying "please" to every travelers to self-quarantine. It was really stupid to begin with. I don't know why it took them long to do this. This should had been done when they closed the border. I really hate how the government handled this. Stop being reactive ffs.
I think they are trying as hard as they can to avoid implementing the emergency act.