Canada PoliERA |OT 2| I Got Ninety Nine MPs, But An Albertan Ain't One

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I understand why the Liberals want to implement this policy but such a policy is an extreme overreach that any opposition is rightly justified.

Understandably any amendments should be made available to all before the vote. The powers overreach should never have been put on the same bill that ensured basic support for Canadians.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
All of you @ing me, tell me how important alcohol is when locked up inside binge drinking because "it's the apocalypse" starts causing an increase of alcohol poisoning among other shit.
wtf is this essentials list? So much shit is on that list, like what the fuck?
It's easier to list what isn't essential

Komo

Jan 3, 2019
All of you @ing me, tell me how important alcohol is when locked up inside binge drinking because "it's the apocalypse" starts causing an increase of alcohol poisoning among other shit.

Yeah so just clothing stores lmao.
Essential donors to Ford and his party deem it essential that these businesses stay open for their bottom line.
Sure feels that way at the place I work.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I'm listening to Blanchet talk on CPAC. he's going over the current state of negotiations... NDP and Bloc are fine with the bill as-is and just want to pass it. Conservatives are putting up a fight and delaying its passage. He's basically saying that should the Conservatives continue to hold out on unanimous passage, they wont hesistate to let it fail today and force it through a majority vote over the remaining portions of the week

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"they" being the CPC or BQ in this case??
Essentially as from Blanchets mouth:
- NDP and BQ are in complete agreement of the bill. Want to vote immediately to pass it
- CPC has problems with bill and it isn't known if they will vote in favour of it. They are still fighting over it
- He is extremely annoyed with the Conservatives "I have lost my patience with members of the official opposition" and (without using his name) calling out Scott Reid for showing up, and the CPC for not reprimanding him further
- The only way this bill goes to the senate tomorrow is if 100% of present MPs vote in favour of it "Parliament can move fast when there is unanimous concent", If they can't get that then he says they will force everyone to stay overnight until they get to an agreement
- And as exactish a quote I can remember "If we can not get this bill passed with Unanimous concent today. Then we have the numbers. We will put this through a majority vote over the next couple days reguardless of the objections from certain members, and we will get this passed"

Basically, he is heavily calling out the CPC for delaying the passage of the bill.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Oh, as for the Emergency Finance Minister taxation authority stuff. They (LPC/NDP/BQ) came to an agreement that allows the powers until September, at which point Parliament has to vote to renew it. Also the powers can only be used to Increase Spending and Reduce Taxes... but they can not be used to raise taxes. The NDP and Bloq are in agreement with these changes, CPC has issues. CPC has issues with it

Last edited:

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
- NDP and BQ are in complete agreement of the bill. Want to vote immediately to pass it
- CPC has problems with bill and it isn't known if they will vote in favour of it. They are still fighting over it
- He is extremely annoyed with the Conservatives and (without using his name) calling out Scott Reid for showing up, and the CPC for not reprimanding him further
- The only way this bill goes to the senate tomorrow is if 100% of present MPs vote in favour of it "Parliament can move fast when there is unanimous concent", If they can't get that then he says they will force everyone to stay overnight until they get to an agreement
- And as exactish a quote I can remember "If we can not get this bill passed with Unanimous concent today. Then we have the numbers. We will put this through a majority vote over the next couple days over the objections, and we will get this passed"

Basically, he his heavily calling our the CPC for delaying the passage of the bill.

EDIT: Oh, as for the Emergency Finance Minister taxation authority stuff. They came to an agreement that allows the powers until September, at which point Parliament has to vote to renew it. Also the powers can only be used to Increase Spending and Reduce Taxes... but they can not be used to raise taxes.
Those assholes... if the BQ and NDP have zero issues with it, why are they holding this up?

Also, thank you for taking the time to provide this info.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
CPC is frankly disgusting. Jesus. The bill was modified already so that the Finance Minister won't be the immortal emperor of Canada. The rest is fine for now.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Having not really followed what happened today, just looking at the hashtags trending on twitter, apparently:
-Trudeau is a dictator
-I have to boycott Giant Tiger
-Something will happen to 1 in 5 Canadians

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Those assholes... if the BQ and NDP have zero issues with it, why are they holding this up?

No worries. I had just randomly remembered that CPAC was a thing and managed to tune in just as Blanchet was coming on to talk about the current state of what is going on behind closed doors. Figured it would be a good idea to post while it was still fresh in my mind since I hadn't seen any talk about it.

I'm keeping an eye out to see if CPAC posts the interview to their archive. If they do I'll post it

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

CPAC is saying that the house is coming back momentarily. Though not to pass the bill, but to extend the session later into the night. So exactly as Blanchet reported.

Edit: And parliament is currently re-suspended to continue debating into the night

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives, no matter where in the world, continue to be a cancer that will kill everyone and everything. I just can’t even.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Alert, alert, CPC are trash. Now and forever.

(Glad they amended the finance minister thing. I said yesterday that I was like “whatever, pass everything and anything to fix this”, but people here were right that it wasn’t particularly constitutional lol. So, glad they changed it.)

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
As if those sadistic fucks care.

They wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice 2-3% of the population to reopen the economy.
They'd intentionally overload public healthcare systems to use as an excuse for private healthcare.
Ironically, the 2-3% of the base that they'd sacrifice are their base.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Because they are Conservatives. There's a reason these losers last won a plurality of the federal election votes back when most of this forum were in diapers or not born yet.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
- He is extremely annoyed with the Conservatives "I have lost my patience with members of the official opposition" and (without using his name) calling out Scott Reid for showing up, and the CPC for not reprimanding him further
- And as exactish a quote I can remember "If we can not get this bill passed with Unanimous concent today. Then we have the numbers. We will put this through a majority vote over the next couple days reguardless of the objections from certain members, and we will get this passed"

Basically, he is heavily calling out the CPC for delaying the passage of the bill.

EDIT: Oh, as for the Emergency Finance Minister taxation authority stuff. They (LPC/NDP/BQ) came to an agreement that allows the powers until September, at which point Parliament has to vote to renew it. Also the powers can only be used to Increase Spending and Reduce Taxes... but they can not be used to raise taxes. The NDP and Bloq are in agreement with these changes, CPC has issues. CPC has issues with it
JFC, just get it through!

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

That's literally the Smogon analysis for Luvdisc:
Instead of listing Luvdisc's counters, I'll list here what doesn't counter Luvdisc:
Doug Ford is no Timbit: He's the worst water Pokeyman.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So has there been any movement on that bill or did the break for the day? Whoever gets the narrative blame for keeping money away from Canadians (and since Trudeau and his ministers are giving briefings daily, it'll be the opposition parties), it's going to be a bad look.

Killing grandparents and the economy is an L i'd have thought theyd all avoid, but here we are.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
CBC reporting that the parties are near a deal, so it could still happen "today" (whatever that means in 15 minutes).

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Minor update from Manitoba... one new case today, bringing the provincial total to 21 confirmed (11) or probable (10). Also the number of tests run thus far seems to be low for the province... as of March 23 there have been 4520 tests completed, and can't find any number if there is a backlog of tests waiting to be processed.

Also today the provincial government is freezing evictions and rent increases, but you can still be evicted for illegal activities. Nothing about a rent freeze though.

Also the province has launched a website that will allow you to volunteer to assist those that are more vulnerable and should remain isolated at home, but they can post a task that needs doing... like get some groceries, or go to the pharmacy to pickup a subscription, shovel snow, etc. and then someone more able can volunteer to take care of that for you. It's not money out of your pocket, the person posting the task still has to pay you, but only what's on the receipt.

It's not anonymous and you do have to sign up using a valid ID, but we shall see if it will catches on or not.
https://www.helpnextdoormb.ca/

moronica

Oct 28, 2017

So the Grits, Dippers and Bloc have a Grand Coalition against the Tories. Dion must be weeping with joy at this.

Seriously though, this bill has to get passed and the sooner the better. Every day delayed is more people potentially not making ends meet.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
So the Grits, Dippers and Bloc have a Grand Coalition against the Tories. Dion must be weeping with joy at this.

Seriously though, this bill has to get passed and the sooner the better. Every day delayed is more people potentially not making ends meet.
They're going to face added pressure now that a Mitch McConnell senate that doesn't pass anything has agreed to a package and Americans are expecting $1200 cheques to arrive in their bank accounts in short order.

Terra Firma

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to face added pressure now that a Mitch McConnell senate that doesn't pass anything has agreed to a package and Americans are expecting $1200 cheques to arrive in their bank accounts in short order.
Makes Canada's measures seem embarrassing by comparison, tbh. The GOP senate passed something that is pricier per capita than what Canada has done so far.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Did that senate bill in the states still have the 'Trump and the GOP gets a secret slush fund' section? If so, I wouldn't use it as leverage here, though it does seem like all parties agreed to something. The cbc article talks more about lead up and not what went through. Wonder if Scott Reid is happy this morning or if our democracy is dead?