Call of Duty WWII loot boxes drop from sky, open in front of other players

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I thought this was already known?
Though I guess it's the first time we actually see it in action

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually... Really smart. Those loot box opening videos are baffling popular, so making that an actual part of the social experience is super smart.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Weirdly, this looks a lot more lackluster then I imagined it would. They could've done so much more with huge flare effects and smoke among a few things to make them appear visually cooler and more satisfying.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I still remember the stories my Grandfather told me about the great Allied lootbox rain in France

OP
OP
Gossi

Gossi

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember the stories my Grandfather told me about the great Allied lootbox rain in France
Yep the 3rd item in that lootbox is gun quick draw, I remember my grandad telling me how he waved money at the cloud to get combat abilities thrown from heaven.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yup! This thing with lootboxes is realy getting out of hand.
I want the next multiplayer that comes out to allow you to buy a lootbox during a running match and when you do it pauses the match for everyone and shows them your name and your lootbox opening on their screen and they have to see what you got. then the game resumes and they get a "do you want to follow [username] and buy your own lootbox?" prompt

Yep the 3rd item in that lootbox is gun quick draw, I remember my grandad telling me how he waved money at the cloud to get combat abilities thrown from heaven.
"Historians call it the 'Battle of the Bulge'. We? We called it the 'Battle of the Box'."

McNum

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Hm, I wonder if you can kill an enemy by dropping a loot box on them. That looks like it'd hurt to get hit by.

Daffy Duck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People aint gonna be able to contain their excitement at the turd I get out of these crates.

Niosai

Oct 28, 2017
"It's all cosmetic."
Yeah, that gun grip won't make the gun have less recoil or anything, I'm sure.

OP
OP
Gossi

Gossi

Oct 26, 2017
I just realised you’ll be able to stand of the beach at Normandy, on the frontier of freedom, watching loot boxes rain from the sky on gamers.

Gotta be a fun time lapse video.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Absolutely disgusting that Activision is still on the loot boxes + season pass model. It should be either or.

Weirdly, this looks a lot more lackluster then I imagined it would. They could've done so much more with huge flare effects and smoke among a few things to make them appear visually cooler and more satisfying.
It's in the social space with up to 48 players in it. That would tank the framerate immediately if a lot of players were opening the boxes simultaneously.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Absolutely disgusting that Activision is still on the loot boxes + season pass model. It should be either or.

It's in the social space with up to 48 players in it. That would tank the framerate immediately if a lot of players were opening the boxes simultaneously.
I can't wait for the first video of 48 players opening a lootbox at the same time

Echo

Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I know a lot of psychology is applied to things like MMO's to make them more addicting, but more and more we're seeing it applied to classic games as well. At the very least it's becoming more obvious.

I guess it's good I don't care for COD's MP, but still, Activision is being pretty scummy about this stuff lately.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has bought every COD day 1(until I pass on WW2) I don't mind them at all until the OP guns hit.

Its loads of cosmetic shit,
BO3 was the only one that kinda sucked with it because you got stupid stuff for characters you might never even select.

Alienous

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While you're in the new 48-player social space, which is set on Normandy beach, D-Day +3, you find somewhere appropriate for the supply drop to land, press a button then slam! The crate hits the ground and cards spit out of it, just like they did in World War 2.
Haha.

Oct 25, 2017
This is really neat, but man if they keep BO3's concept of having guns only out of microtransactions and not IW's where you could earn them in other fashions everyone in the lobby would probably do some sort of angry emote if you can lol.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow publishers have gone so far down this rabbit hole they are now intentionally parodying the very things they are exploiting in order to pry ever more money from consumers...

Burn it all down.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I read "loot boxes" I have to control my gag reflex. Good business decision anyway activision. Doubt it will pay of in the long run, but grants you a huge amount of extra cash this time. I guess thats all you care for.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that is manipulative. Yes, it's just a cash grab. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that was a great idea that will certainly pay out for them!

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of psychology is applied to things like MMO's to make them more addicting, but more and more we're seeing it applied to classic games as well. At the very least it's becoming more obvious.

I guess it's good I don't care for COD's MP, but still, Activision is being pretty scummy about this stuff lately.
It's been in normal games for years, it's just right up in your face now so it's even easier to decide if you want to take part or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it will pay of in the long run
They did it for Advanced Warfare,
They did it for Black Ops 3
They did it to Infinite Warfare
They did it to Modern Warfare Remastered
They are doing it again with WW2

It was so successful with Black Ops 3 they continued pumping out loot box content months after IW and MWR released.
(there are as many freaking supply drop SMGs and ARs as there were of each in the base game)

We are stuck with it,

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Isn’t this their version of YouTube and twitch channels that only open lootboxes? Or at least that is how they described it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"I will never forget the sight.
Ships as far as the eye could see, all the way out to the horizon.
Thousands of men, ten thousands even, all across the beach. Some were still cleaning up the scrap and bodies from the fight 3 days prior.
The tank traps the Germans had set up had mostly been dismantled, the few that remained were still dark red with the blood of our fellow soldiers.
So many had lost their lives here, all to take this beach, all to secure what would be our way into Europe to free the people of Nazi rule.
Here we stood then. 48 men. We started with 150 and this is who remained. Two third gone in the blink of an eye. Everyone knew those wouldn't be the last casualties before Berlin.
It was cold. Everything was. The wind, the sea, the souls of our fellow men. Even with this 'victory' morale was mixed.
So O'Malley decided to do something to cheer up the boys. He gathered everyone around and told them to watch.
He took his lucky dollar, an old coin he got from his pops and always carried in his breast pocket, and threw it in the air. Everyone's eyes followed as it flipped higher and higher, not showing any signs of stopping. It seemed like it wanted to reach the clouds themselves.
Then it vanished.
And out of thin air, the men gasping at the sudden appearance, a huge crate appeared and plummeted to the ground.
A loud THUD as it smashed into the ground, sand thrown into the faces of the soldiers closest to its' landing spot.
'Watch this!' O'Malley shouted as he approached the crate. The lid suddenly swung open and what can only be described as thunderous music played from seemingly all around us. Out of the crate three giant cards or posters appeared and hung in the air, each showing a picture.
'Check out what I got boys! Come closer! Come closer!' O'Malley screamed joyously.
He suddenly held an unfamiliar rifle in his hands, maybe German made going by the design, and was busy attaching a colorful new grip to it.
Then he turned to everyone and saluted. I had never seen a man salute the way he did. It was a powerful salute, a salute to freedom, a salute to the brave men in front of him and to the call of duty that all of us had followed to this forsaken beach.
We all cheered and saluted him back, but none seemed to get it right quite the same way he did.

Two days later I found his shiny grip lying in a puddle in the middle of a muddy French road. I felt compelled to pick it up and keep it but it seemed to be out of reach to me. I just couldn't pick it up. So I left it there. But I'll never forget that one moment in time when I saw him pull that thing out of that magic crate."

- From the Memoirs of John A.C. Tivision, WW2 Veteran

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny gets praise for the social space, CoD gets the hate.

Seems like the ugly step child, I personally like this idea and have no real issue with it. The problem however will come when the ranged weapons start appearing as drop weapons only, hopefully there is a way to earn them like in subsequent games as BO3 was easily the worst system of all the modern CoD's.