Bernie posts videos of Biden saying he will cut Social Security, Medicare. Biden says its "beneath" Sanders and hopes that they'll "disown" it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
And the lesson from that is any sort of attempt to differentiate your self from your opponent in a primary is an "attack" that shouldn't be encouraged?
The idea is that if there's another long, drawn out primary the eventual nominee will be so loathed that Trump will be able to win the election again.

I don't actually agree with it but that's what it is motivating a lot of people.

GiantBreadbug

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that if there's another long, drawn out primary the eventual nominee will be so loathed that Trump will be able to win the election again.

I don't actually agree with it but that's what it is motivating a lot of people.
it's probably a motivator for the ostensible """likely democratic primary voters""" but whether or not this shit scans with the kind of tuned-out non-voter type necessary to build a popular movement outside of modern electoral castes is questionable (I really hope the answer is that your average person thinks this is as gormless as we do but we will see)

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping Bernie does some measurable amount of damage to Biden. Someone has to go after him with some substantial criticism if they want to stop him from getting the nomination.

Azuran

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders loves going all in on the attacking knowing damn well he’s never going to be the nominee. Then he will play the same card he did in 2016...he’ll play the reluctant support of the nominee while his supporters go Bernie or nothing.

I can’t stand US politics. These election cycles are too damn long.
lmao what am I even reading.

Biden should drop out if he can't take the heat.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
[Biden hit by own video]
[Biden takes self debuff]
[Biden electability -3%]
(No one will cover or talk about this video on tv)
[Biden no longer debuffed]
[Biden electability +5]

TRS1099

Dec 27, 2018
Biden getting a lot of headlines today. I just saw an article on IGN where he said some not very flattering things about video games.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
Sanders loves going all in on the attacking knowing damn well he’s never going to be the nominee. Then he will play the same card he did in 2016...he’ll play the reluctant support of the nominee while his supporters go Bernie or nothing.

Do you mean like when he campaigned for Hillary in all the states she couldn't be bothered to campaign in?
What exactly is the "Vote Blue no Matter Who!" crowd going to do if Sanders is the nominee considering how much they seem to dislike him?
They've already started laying the groundwork for that by declaring that Bernie's not a "real democrat" so they dont have any obligation to vote for him.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
lmao what am I even reading.

Biden should drop out if he can't take the heat.
That applies to every candidate. Would you be ok with Bernie being weakened significantly in the primaries before taking on Trump? Primaries rely on some conflict, not to the point where the winner gets destroyed by the GOP when it actually matters because their rivals went too far with attacks.

They've already started laying the groundwork for that by declaring that Bernie's not a "real democrat" so they dont have any obligation to vote for him.
That's an argument made for the primaries, not the general. It's rich framing that as though Bernie not being a Democrat hasn't helped him with his base.

digdug2k

Mar 28, 2018
But Bernie supporters voted for Clinton in fact they voted more Clinton the. Clinton own supporters did for Obama in the 2008 election
Just fact checking, not trying to throw my hat in this ring I don't actually care about (to be honest, I can't even decipher what the hell is going on in the OP), but AFAIK this isn't actually true.

There were some articles showing they DIDN'T vote for Trump. But the number who just didn't vote or voted third party seems to match between the 2008 and 2016 groups. Around 25%.

sultrines

Jan 4, 2018

So bitter

Biden corruption op-ed, Sanders apology, Biden attacking Bernie, Bernie response
OP
OP
Tracygill

Tracygill

Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Zephyr Teachout, an anti-corruption expert and Sanders campaign surrogate wrote an op-ed about Joe Biden where she described him as being vulnerable on the issue of corruption.

But Biden has a big corruption problem and it makes him a weak candidate. I know it seems crazy, but a lot of the voters we need – independents and people who might stay home – will look at Biden and Trump and say: “They’re all dirty.”

It looks like “Middle Class” Joe has perfected the art of taking big contributions, then representing his corporate donors at the cost of middle- and working-class Americans. Converting campaign contributions into legislative favors and policy positions isn’t being “moderate”. It is the kind of transactional politics Americans have come to loathe.

Sanders said he was sorry that the op-ed appeared and said that the focus should be on the issues.

The Biden campaign decided to run attack ads against Bernie.

The Bernie campaign responded with an ad where they played old Biden speeches that show Biden bragging about how he tried to cut Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and veterans' benefits numerous times.

Last edited:

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I wish Bernie wasn't so soft on this regards. It could be that we are used to politicians going at each other throats even with lies, but if Bernie is doing it with facts and with substance, attacking any opponent should be fair game, especially when it's your biggest rival.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Just fact checking, not trying to throw my hat in this ring I don't actually care about (to be honest, I can't even decipher what the hell is going on in the OP), but AFAIK this isn't actually true.

There were some articles showing they DIDN'T vote for Trump. But the number who just didn't vote or voted third party seems to match between the 2008 and 2016 groups. Around 25%.
25% of Hillary primary voters went McCain. That's not even counting people who sat out, voted 3rd party, etc.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Is Biden not allowed to run negative ads now? I don't like Biden but c'mon. That's standard campaigning.
You can just admit you hate Bernie lmao. You're in every thread arguing against him, and that's fine. It's a primary, we are supposed to advocate for the party we want, but it is pretty clear what your agenda is.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
[Biden hit by own video]
[Biden takes self debuff]
[Biden electability -3%]
(No one will cover or talk about this video on tv)
[Biden no longer debuffed]
[Biden electability +5]
My reasons for taking the centrist but supposedly left leaning media seriously diminishes each cycle but I'm suppose to vote with them or establishment democrats after they heavily rig and influence the process.

So fucking blatant.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
This thread is about Bernie not being able to run negative ads (negative and completely factual ads at that).
Which had people complaining about Biden doing it. Biden didn't sign any pledge so he's good on that front, not for Bernie because he signed a pledge.

It doesn’t get any more transparent than this dumb take right here.
Transparent? lol What did I say that was incorrect? Did Biden sign a pledge to not run negative ads, too? If he didn't what are you complaining about, this is standard operating procedure for primaries. It's why signing on was a dumb idea.

You can just admit you hate Bernie lmao. You're in every thread arguing against him, and that's fine. It's a primary, we are supposed to advocate for the party we want, but it is pretty clear what your agenda is.
I never said I liked Bernie, I'm not obligated to. An "agenda" which only seems bad when it's not Bernie.

Space Madness

Oct 27, 2017
Which had people complaining about Biden doing it. Biden didn't sign any pledge so he's good on that front, not for Bernie because he signed a pledge.

Transparent? lol What did I say that was incorrect? Did Biden sign a pledge to not run negative ads, too? If he didn't what are you complaining about, this is standard operating procedure for primaries. It's why signing on was a dumb idea.

I never said I liked Bernie, I'm not obligated to. An "agenda" which only seems bad when it's not Bernie.
Fuck off with your gaslighting. You whine about how Bernie doesn’t apologize but you defend this.

Space Madness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gaslighting anyone. I defended him running a negative ad, sure, and if he's making shit up Biden should definitely apologise for it himself.
You’re full of shit and you’ll have to try harder to give everyone else the impression you aren’t. That’s why everyone else is calling you on it. Yes you’re gaslighting us and it’s pretty transparent.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
You’re full of shit and you’ll have to try harder to give everyone else the impression you aren’t. That’s why everyone else is calling you on it. Yes you’re gaslighting us and it’s pretty transparent.
This is a very strange charge of gaslighting. I've been upfront with my opinions and they're factually correct as far I know. Go on, dissect my posts - what is this "gaslighting" you're complaining about? This is a weird reaction to someone not liking Bernie and acknowledging that candidates who didn't sign negative ad pledges can run negative ads against Bernie.

Oct 27, 2017
Biden is a conservative politician. The Democrat establishment believe running a conservative Dem is how you beat Trump. I believe this to be risky as it won't get the vote out. Sure you will get the old Democrat base, the pragmatists, but you will get smaller numbers than someone with a message other than just 'polls say this person can beat Trump'. I do not like our side fighting, but when you have a completely dishonest attack ad, the fight is on. Biden is dishonest, he's shifty, he's been in politics long enough that we have a pattern to know him. The worst part is I can't tell you who Biden is outside of his tragic personal life. His policy ebbs and flows to whatever is politically convenient for him at the time. What does Joe Biden believe in? Why is he wanting to be president? How long before he breaks with the Democrats and campaigns trying to win over 'sane' republicans? He's friends with many of the psychos ready to protect the worst president we've ever had. That kind of shit will be absolutely toxic. If all he has is 'i can beat Trump', we better fucking hope those polls are right this time.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We always hear unity and have to work together to take down Trump.

But Biden is a politician who said he's going to work with Republicans. He's going to cut SS just like Obama who wanted to compromise with GOP.

He's going to screw over Gen X and Baby Boomers before they retire. He's leaving the Millennial and Gen Z suffer with the $1.6 Trillion Student Debt he helped created.

Vote Blue no matter who my ass