Babylon's Fall State of Play Trailer

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like a Platinum game for sure. The trailer wasn't that interesting tough. Kinda dull looking.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain was pretty poor, so I'm not terribly hopeful. But as long as they don't turn this into a 20 hour game with 10 of those hours being the most boring detective mechanics ever implemented in a video game, it'll already be a step up.

Ozzie

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah i love platinum but this looks pretty subpar. It looks like a korean game that's all flashes no substance.
That's what came up in my mind when I saw this, it reminded me of Korean MMOs or a AAA/High budget mobile game like Black Desert which came out recently. Although I think it's too early to judge, we will have to wait until E3 to make a better judgment.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
I read somewhere Yoko Taro is potentially a writer for this game... Anyone confirm this? Googling isn't helping me currently.

Hylianhero777

Oct 25, 2017
Here to say Astral Chain whips and is awesome, disappointed in all the hate here. Even the gimmicky, somewhat poor minigames felt like something right out of the Gamecube era, it gave the game a lot of personality. Story was eh but the combat was fantastic and I thought the exploration was great too.

As for this game... yeah what they showed was not very impressive. News next summer implies that it's still pretty early so hopefully it starts shaping up but even if it does I feel like the premise seems pretty generic. There are so many more interesting things I feel Platinum could be working on

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting very tired of the MGR-style sword streaks that follow the slash on a delay VFX. Platinum needs to be a little more stealthy in their recycling of past work.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big Platinum fan and I'm not feeling it at all yet. Feels a LOT like an indie studio aping them while missing the charm these games usually have. It would help if we knew what the "hook" of this one is too.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Coming off of Astral Chain this looks a bit bland in terms of saturation/color scheme.

Gameplay looks good as always, though.

Pancracio17

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like they teased the games gimmick right at the end there with stealing the boss's weapon but didnt actually show any gameplay of it. Theres also apparently multiple characters?

Well character action games are pretty rare, so im excited for this game anyway.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
As a pretty big Platinum fan so I don't want to join a pile on, but this did look like Astral Chain if you suck all the interestingness out of it. Was not convinced by this.

Except Astral Chain was too automated for its own good, its ranking system was terrible, and it ran at 30fps.

Even if it looks less visually interesting, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, especially since I never was interested in Fromsoft titles so that environment isn't overused for me.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound died for this...
Scalebound sure it was rough, but at least you could see some ambition there. Here you have Nier A combat and likely the Souls formula (which is hardly exciting when other dev than From is doing it with inferior art design etc). That boss is recycled from random Souls game.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
The aesthetic did not convinced me and the gameplay was pretty meh until he steals the gigant sword. Because is platinum i am midly optimistic in the stealing mechanic and multiple weapons, i really want to see what they do with this concept but yeah not grabbing me from day 1 like Astral Chain did (game i loved a lot)
Also want to know what is the deal with the 4 characters of the end art and how that will play out. Seems like it was too early to show stuff but atleast we saw a glimps of the concept, i just need to see more of that.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious to see where this goes. Nier A didn't have bad combat, it had enemies that did nothing to justify the level of combat. If this can provide more complex enemies, I can see myself having fun with this. I am still waiting on the hooks that the initial teaser suggested as well as the ending.

There's a lot more to this that this isn't showing/hasn't been worked on yet.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Scalebound sure it was rough, but at least you could see some ambition there. Here you have Nier A combat and likely the Souls formula (which is hardly exciting when other dev than From is doing it with inferior art design etc). That boss is recycled from random Souls game.
my toughts exactly, and Scalebound had shown some personality.

Justumhm

Oct 27, 2017
No aspect from that trailer landed nicely, only keeping an eye on this because it's from platinum and I hope they have a better showing down the line.

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting the same feeling about this that I did Scalebound, and it's a thorough lack of excitement. It almost looks like another developer tried to make a Platinum game, but failed miserably. I know there's a difference between seeing and playing, but from what I've seen thus far - it doesn't look terribly fun to play :(

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
This is probably the blandest art direction of a Platinum Game ever. Won't be surprised if the MCs are a bunch of classes that you select for some dungeon crawling Dark Souls style, can't say that I'm interested on it.

The combat looked quite Nier Automata which I find weak.

Frey

Nov 1, 2017
Ehhh this is a weird one for me. The environments look boring, the combat while in classic Platinum fashion seems half-assed and uninteresting and it really just looks like their take on Dark Souls. Just have to wait to see more about it to get a better impression of it.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
lol, i'm watching the easy allies reaction and when the trailer starts jones is like "nice Dreams level".

Caio Loco

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Looks like a meh game with a pretty good combat... like every other Platinum game.

They need a 'Yoko Taro' to make things interesting.

Oct 31, 2017
I read somewhere Yoko Taro is potentially a writer for this game... Anyone confirm this? Googling isn't helping me currently.
Just speculation based on a weird trailer with a huge history of lore built-in. It's a very Yoko Taro style, but i think if Square Wanted to build hype at this point ANY yoko taro project trailer would start with "GAME BY YOKO TARO!"

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
The bits of story from the first trailer were and are still intriguing. And the gameplay from this trailer looks like standard Platinum, so, you know, mind-blowingly excellent. Get hype!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
can´t help but i am not really interested in another Platinum effort at this point, the last few were all relatively lacking, didn´t like Nier: Automata and Astral Chain was just not what i want from Platinum so i don´t care about Babylons Fall. trailer did nothing for me, looks somehow really bland.

if they drop the ball on Bayonetta 3 the last interest that i have will be gone too. the last cool game from them was Transformers for me.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
it looks pretty generically Platinum. like they've been making the same Bayonetta-inspired game but with a different skin. this time, though, there's no "hook"
This looks like one of the more boring skins as well. Definitely not as appealing looking as Bayonetta, Revengeance, Automata or Astral Chain are.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Well the trailer itself says their intention is for the entire game to look like a painting, so I think the game's still a way's off from their intention. Also i hope there's more to that timeline than just background fluff for the game, cause that timeline from the initial game seems very interesting.

Morrigan

Arrogant Smirk
Oct 24, 2017
It looks like a textbook Platinum game: boring flashy button mashing combat, ugly art style, drab environments, etc. so of course it looks bad. Surprised at the negative reactions though, I thought so many people here loved that stuff. 🤷‍♀️

At least it doesn't have obnoxious music (yet) or some lame sex doll waifu (yet).
Of all the legitimate reasons to criticize and you chose this.... yeah this is bait
Some of us legit loathe the combat in their games.