Ashen |OT2| Reborn on PS4, Switch, GOG and Steam

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This game had my interest but after trying it, it's a strange feeling for someone that is not good at all at Souls games: it feels slow and repetitive but somehow not hard :/

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
What is it about Dark Souls that turns you away? Ashen definitely has that higher level of difficulty, but the game around it is a bit more streamlined in how it surfaces its narrative, quests and objectives.
I guess that's my unpopular opinion, especially on these forums but here goes:P

It's slow and tedious. Grey and dull. Combat just doesnt do it for me.

Eorl

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
That's a hilariously poor pricing for a game that is now a year old and coming out on other platforms. This is especially shotty when the DLC isn't included and it was discounted heavily just two weeks ago on EGS.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Had a great time with it on gamepass last year, sad to see all the negativity here but I guess thats kinda on them with the staggered release.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's my unpopular opinion, especially on these forums but here goes:P

It's slow and tedious. Grey and dull. Combat just doesnt do it for me.
You might prefer the visual design in Ashen, but the combat still is tied to stamina like Souls.

There is an Enhanced Mode (4K, 30fps) and a Performance Mode (1080p, 60fps) on Xbox One X. Not sure if PS4 Pro will get similar modes.
No, unless it was changed in a patch later on, the 1080p mode was also capped at 30fps. Devs confirmed there were no other changes aside from a 1080p resolution.

There is no advantage to playing in 1080p over 4k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
These new ports reminded me that I still have the DLC in waiting, this game is still gorgeous.

gameongreggy

Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted to get this. A 15~20 hours Dark Souls Lite sounds exactly like what I want. A new "real" Souls right now would be too exausting for me considering the huge RPG's I'm already playing.
It’s what I need, work, wife, 4 month old, juggling daycare, my time ain’t mine anymore so the few mins a day I get to play this is really good.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, no more Switch impressions?
I'm maybe 10 hours in now. I don't know how far I am in terms of overall progress as I'm really taking my time with it. It performs really well outside of a couple spots where the framerate stutters a bit. But it's in specific places like "this particular cave" or "while climbing this bit of ruined castle" and not entire areas. I really like exploring so I can find every possible item and upgrade feather, and I also like having a central hub that gets built up a bit more every time I return between quests. My only real complaint is that the lock-on can be finicky in certain situations and it can fuck you over in multi-enemy encounters.

Jun 10, 2018
You might prefer the visual design in Ashen, but the combat still is tied to stamina like Souls.

No, unless it was changed in a patch later on, the 1080p mode was also capped at 30fps. Devs confirmed there were no other changes aside from a 1080p resolution.
Yeah, just checked it out for myself again. When I tested the '1080p Mode' was at Ashen's launch. I only tried it out once and turned it off. But I remembered from when I went through it there was a 1080p Mode and assumed it was a performance mode. But nope, it is only 30fps.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question about an enemy encounter: What am I supposed to do with these shadow fucks that jump out of the darkness?

Edit: Nevermind, those things don't even matter. But fuck this dungeon.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm maybe 10 hours in now. I don't know how far I am in terms of overall progress as I'm really taking my time with it. It performs really well outside of a couple spots where the framerate stutters a bit. But it's in specific places like "this particular cave" or "while climbing this bit of ruined castle" and not entire areas. I really like exploring so I can find every possible item and upgrade feather, and I also like having a central hub that gets built up a bit more every time I return between quests. My only real complaint is that the lock-on can be finicky in certain situations and it can fuck you over in multi-enemy encounters.
Glad to hear! How are you enjoying the game so far? Have you changed to a new ladscape already? I'm curious about performance in mid-late game areas.

Surprised there isn't much attention to the game.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
One disappointing thing about the DLC is the lack of other real players. Playing this at launch with a whole bunch of random folk from Game Pass really spoiled me.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question to people playing on console. Can you rebind the buttons? I don't fancy using the R button to attack on the Switch.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear! How are you enjoying the game so far? Have you changed to a new ladscape already? I'm curious about performance in mid-late game areas.

Surprised there isn't much attention to the game.
There haven't been any extreme differences in landscape yet. A lot of areas look different but fairly similar so far.
I have a question to people playing on console. Can you rebind the buttons? I don't fancy using the R button to attack on the Switch.
I didn't explore too deeply but I definitely saw a Controls section in the option menu.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Up there contender for my GOTY, though i never beat the final form of end boss - I loved this game. Beautiful, challanaging, interesting world too

Feenix

Nov 17, 2017
not that I don't appreciate the opinions but I'm bummed I haven't found any website reviews for Switch.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
So, way back before the EGS exclusivity was announced, the game was originally advertised as planned to be a PlayAnywhere title. Naturally that went away with the EGS deal. Do we know if there's any plans to bring that back now that the exclusivity period is over? Or do they plan to just sweep that under the rug and hope no one remembers, and stick with EGS/Steam?

It seems like a conversion they should be able to do relatively easily for those who already bought it on Xbox, if they wanted to.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Got the game. Such a breath of fresh air to see a Switch port running at native or close to native resolution. Game looks great and runs well enough.

Any tips for a beginner?

OrbitalBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It already is. The content launched alongside the ports.
oh cool, thanks. I didn't see it on the eShop.

Edit - nevermind, it shows up if you search for it. I played Ashen last year and really enjoyed it, but never played the DLC. So, I think I'm going to double dip on Switch and purchase the DLC while I'm at it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to make a companion follow you sooner? It's kinda annoying how they take their sweet time to meet me in the world.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
Very excited to see that this game was released for Switch/PS4. I was really excited about it when it was first announced but it wasn't on a platform I owned. I will have to pick it up down the road after I clear out some of my backlog.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to make a companion follow you sooner? It's kinda annoying how they take their sweet time to meet me in the world.
If you turn off multiplayer they tend to pop up more often since the game doesn't spend time trying to match other players into your world and just uses the AI.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved this game when I played on Xbox, enjoy PS4/Switch players! I might jump back in with the DLC when I get a chance.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I love the visuals and ambience but I’m a bit turned off by the potential high difficulty.

Is it more dark souls (different weapons and different classes / gameplay style) or more like sekiro / bloodborne ( agressive combat - less weapons, hyper reflexes needed)

For the record I love the soul games and finished all of them except 3 - didn’t like bloodborne and sekiro because the gameplay was too aggressive for me.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I love the visuals and ambience but I’m a bit turned off by the potential high difficulty.

Is it more dark souls (different weapons and different classes / gameplay style) or more like sekiro / bloodborne ( agressive combat - less weapons, hyper reflexes needed)

For the record I love the soul games and finished all of them except 3 - didn’t like bloodborne and sekiro because the gameplay was too aggressive for me.
From what I played and watched, it's a more streamlined Dark Souls. Not nearly as much customization, but the mechanics and combat flow feels a lot more like Dark Souls than Bloodborne or Sekiro. It's also more limited, so no advanced techniques like backstabs, parry or riposte.

What I do think the game does better than Souls is the focus on verticality, with jumping and climbing being extremely important to exploration.

I've read a lot about the game in the last couple of days and some people claim it's easier than Souls while others were frustrated by some bosses, especially the last one, to the point of quiting.

Last edited:

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
From what I played and watched, it's a more streamlined Dark Souls. Not nearly as much customization, but the mechanics and combat flow feels a lot more like Dark Souls than Bloodborne or Sekiro. It's also more limited, so no advanced techniques like backstabs or riposte.

I've read a lot about the game in the last couple of days and some people claim it's easier than Souls while others were frustrated by some bosses, especially the last one, to the point of quiting.
I’ll give it a try then - I don’t really mind some difficulty spikes if they are manageable. I’ll just wait for more Switch impressions before buying.

I like the feature-less faces, reminds me of Kings field games on the PS1

As for the final boss, I’m used to hitting a wall in souls games (that’s why i didn’t finish DS3) If the journey is worth it, I can quit without regret.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
How's the framerate on the Switch? Is it mostly locked at 30? How does it perform in handheld?
Hopefully DF will take a look at it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
How's the framerate on the Switch? Is it mostly locked at 30? How does it perform in handheld?
Hopefully DF will take a look at it.
Runs fine in handheld. Mostly smooth at what seems like 30fps with occasional frame hiccups in certain spots. None of the fps drops are consistent. Just a little stutter here and there.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the second boss. Game is great! I love the exploration in this. Climbing and jumping around feels great.