Artbooks & Gaming books |OT| A new era, a new shelf

Scotia

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not really an artbook per say but I just bought this off Amazon.

I already have this one and while this one seems to serve a similar purpose there's some cool WIP pieces of art that I'd like to get my hands on. Anyone else got this book or know about other SF3 books like it that are worth getting?

leder

Oct 25, 2017

I already have this one and while this one seems to serve a similar purpose there's some cool WIP pieces of art that I'd like to get my hands on. Anyone else got this book or know about other SF3 books like it that are worth getting?
I have this, there's not a ton of art other than 1 page of sketches for each character and some sketches from the ending scenes. It does have sheet music for all of the songs in the back though haha

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017

It's a lot smaller than the deluxe version but has a few pieces that are unique to it. Worth having if you're a fan.

There's a couple of third strike books that are not really focused on the art at all but have some sketches not see anywhere else afaik

Portal step has a handful of cool sketches that show move planning as well all the preliminary stage layouts. The quality is bad for the stage sketches, taken from photocopies rather than direct scans; they have clipping issues but the other sketches are quite clear.

Conclusion step has hardly anything art related outside of the full-page colour character art and a smaller pencil sketch beside it. I think those sketches might be unique to this book, might be in the secret files not sure.

Hard to recommend Portal and Conclusion step, maybe if you can get them cheap. Still waiting for an art book that does the SF3 series justice.

Scotia

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have this, there's not a ton of art other than 1 page of sketches for each character and some sketches from the ending scenes. It does have sheet music for all of the songs in the back though haha
Yeah I knew it wasn't really a conventional artbook but I didn't know where else to post about it lol. The one already have has sheet music too so it's nice that this has it too.

It's a lot smaller than the deluxe version but has a few pieces that are unique to it. Worth having if you're a fan.

There's a couple of third strike books that are not really focused on the art at all but have some sketches not see anywhere else afaik

Portal step has a handful of cool sketches that show move planning as well all the preliminary stage layouts. The quality is bad for the stage sketches, taken from photocopies rather than direct scans; they have clipping issues but the other sketches are quite clear.

Conclusion step has hardly anything art related outside of the full-page colour character art and a smaller pencil sketch beside it. I think those sketches might be unique to this book, might be in the secret files not sure.

Hard to recommend Portal and Conclusion step, maybe if you can get them cheap. Still waiting for an art book that does the SF3 series justice.
These are awesome, thanks for letting me know about them. Never seen these online but I'll definitely keep an eye out for them. I have a ton of New Generation era books (Ryu Final, All About books and a manga) but I rarely am able to find 3rd Strike books sold anywhere online which is a shame. I agree that it's a shame there's no pure SF3 artbook, it usually just gets lumped in with the other entries in the UDON art books (story of SF3's life really lmao), hopefully one day we just get one big beautiful book with a bunch of SF3 art in it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat lol.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder how much of the original artwork has been kept. They've certainly got more in their vault than has been printed:

Scroll to the bottom for more links

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
UnluckyKate You might like this

Someone uploaded a documentary of Amano's 1998 exhibition in New York to Youtube. You can see some of his well-known pieces in an unfinished state.

Hironobu Sakaguchi also gives an interview at the 4:15 mark.