Artbooks & Gaming books |OT| A new era, a new shelf

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the Dark Souls Trilogy Compendium prices on ebay. I haven't opened mine yet. I should probably just sell it.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
looks like i dun goofed, i was paying too much attention to the Akira manga boxset last year to remember about the Dark Souls Compendium, i'm hopeful that Future press will hopefully reprint it but iirc they had a bunch of problems with it near to the launch

on another note, looks like the artbook is out today in Japan

also kinda annoying, i saw some page previews today and i think they put some of the wider concept art as 2 page spreads so we'll probably lose 5% of it because of the spine fold

Rumenapp

Nov 9, 2017
This should be the cover of the regular edition

My copy of the book is already in the store ready to pickup.

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a hardcover artbook coming with the deluxe edition and first class edition of the game. I don't know anything about the artbook itself though.
Thanks. I'm hoping it's not one of those mini art books they usually include in collectors editions. Hopefully they announce a stand alone book later. I feels like nowadays art books are being pushed back further from game/movie release.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Was wondering if I could pick your brains a moment... I ordered the Kingdom Come: Deliverance Art Book from Deepsilver UK for $40 + $31 shipping. While I understood that there may be duty and taxes on this item when shipping it to the USA I was notified by UPS that it came to $80! I've ordered tons of stuff from overseas over the years (Kickstarter goods, Bitmap Books books, etc.) and never seen a fee like that. Anyone have any insight into how this came to be? I contacted Deepsilver but I doubt they know anything (I did ask them how they declared the good). Likewise with UPS, they just said it is what Customs decided. I haven't contacted them but I'm guessing that'd be pointless. I guess just suck it up and pay it? I'm done ordering overseas, I guess, that is ridiculous.
I wanted to update this. First, thanks for the great replies stating that the extra charge of $80 wasn't normal. Though I didn't get any help from UPS or CBP, Deep Silver provided excellent customer service. They first asked that I refuse delivery and they'd send out another one without the charge. Unfortunately, I had already paid the $80 so took delivery. Deep Silver had me take pictures of the labels, packing slip, etc. and the only irregularities were two stickers, each saying "1 of 3", as well as the contents listed as "CD ROM" and not books, neither of which definitively pointed to the extra $80. Regardless, they refunded the charge to my PayPal. Anyway, wanted to update and throw some praise Deep Silver's way. The book is beautiful, by the way. =)

ShroudOfFate

Oct 30, 2017
I figured this would probably be the best place to ask, but how is the Fire Emblem If/Fates Visual Reference book? Reviews on Amazon.jp are pretty mixed but google translate obviously isn’t the best to know why. Anyone with the book that could attest to its quality?

kevaji

Oct 27, 2017
I figured this would probably be the best place to ask, but how is the Fire Emblem If/Fates Visual Reference book? Reviews on Amazon.jp are pretty mixed but google translate obviously isn’t the best to know why. Anyone with the book that could attest to its quality?
I posted a few before photos here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/artbooks-gaming-books-ot-a-new-era-a-new-shelf.1086/page-58#post-22834737

Using google translate here as well, but it looks like most people are complaining that besides the main cast, there aren't full artworks for the characters and it basically only has their in game images and a few sketches. So compared to the awakening and echoes art books, it's pretty disappointing for them.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a few before photos here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/artbooks-gaming-books-ot-a-new-era-a-new-shelf.1086/page-58#post-22834737

Using google translate here as well, but it looks like most people are complaining that besides the main cast, there aren't full artworks for the characters and it basically only has their in game images and a few sketches. So compared to the awakening and echoes art books, it's pretty disappointing for them.
Whoa, how did you get those shikishi? They're very detailed.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Atari Visual Compendium pre-orders are up, link is in my previous post. Hardcover is £29.99 (~$40), softcover is £24.99 (~$33ish), and the collector's edition is £49.99 ($65.75ish). Bare in mind shipping to the US is like $10-$15.

Considering the others have been made available through other retailers, I may wait. I'll grab the softcover soon enough.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Atari Visual Compendium pre-orders are up, link is in my previous post. Hardcover is £29.99 (~$40), softcover is £24.99 (~$33ish), and the collector's edition is £49.99 ($65.75ish). Bare in mind shipping to the US is like $10-$15.

Considering the others have been made available through other retailers, I may wait. I'll grab the softcover soon enough.
How have the other retailers handled shipping? One of my favorite things about bitmap stuff is how well packaged things from them are, with full corner protection.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
How have the other retailers handled shipping? One of my favorite things about bitmap stuff is how well packaged things from them are, with full corner protection.
I wanna say I ordered two of them from Book Depository since they were the cheapest and possibly the only place back in the day and they arrived undamaged. Amazon tends to be alright for the most part as well, but depending on the size, it may just be a normal or slightly bigger bubble envelope/package.

Meanwhile, managed to get one more HG101 book out of the backlog thanks to a promo involving getting $15 off $25+ after downloading the Amazon Photos app & getting the one focused on the Famicom Disk System. That just leaves 4 more. Had to reorganize my bookshelf once more & took out all my manga to have some extra room for the SNES Anthology once I get through both of them.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know of any street fighter art books that mainly focus on Alpha/Zero or EX series?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
There are about 50 pages in the Art of Death Stranding about the creatures and my god, its the best Bloodborne artbook you can get lol

From the exploration and concepts to the unused stuff, its a perfect nightmare fuel. You can feel the frustrating of not working on Silent Hills and you bet they are ready to make a true cosmic / body horror game with Junji ito.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There are about 50 pages in the Art of Death Stranding about the creatures and my god, its the best Bloodborne artbook you can get lol

From the exploration and concepts to the unused stuff, its a perfect nightmare fuel. You can feel the frustrating of not working on Silent Hills and you bet they are ready to make a true cosmic / body horror game with Junji ito.
So overall impressions are good? I'm hovering over the buy button right now

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
So overall impressions are good? I'm hovering over the buy button right now
85 pages of Shinkawa character designs, then 50 pages of bloodborne stuff, then vehicules and environements (not the most interesting if you ask me, as DS is a post apo world and all the art in there is mostly about the remaining cities that you barely see anyway)

so it all depends on your love for Shinkawa and monster design, the best part of this book imo

you tried amazon.es ? Maybe for it being closer to you it will show cheaper.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
85 pages of Shinkawa character designs, then 50 pages of bloodborne stuff, then vehicules and environements (not the most interesting if you ask me, as DS is a post apo world and all the art in there is mostly about the remaining cities that you barely see anyway)

so it all depends on your love for Shinkawa and monster design, the best part of this book imo

you tried amazon.es ? Maybe for it being closer to you it will show cheaper.
Edit: lol, it's the most expensive by far, almost 93 euros!
Buying books in Spain is never worth it.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
A new Yoshitaka Amano artbook is coming out

"Yoshitaka Amano's Treasure BOX ~EMMA's DREAM~"

A4 size, 8.27 x 11.69 inches. 72 pages total
29,700 yen + tax (autographed edition)
April 2020

New picture book "EMMA Girl's Dream" (with Yoshitaka Amano, autographed):
A4 size / hard cover / cloth cloth / foil stamped cover / all color / 32P planned
◇ Separate volume sketchbook "EMMA BIS": A4 size / horizontal binding / soft cover / 40p planned
◇ "EMMA" newly drawn original picture: B4 size / color
◇ Inner case (decorative box): B4 size
◇ Outer case (transportation box): B4 variant
https://www.fukkan.com/fk/CartSearchDetail?i_no=68327900

It's pretty expensive so I'll wait for the standard edition.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Its surely worth the price for the fans.
Not everyday you can get a signed Amano book.
Yeah, signed books are usually around that price secondhand. I'll update the thread if they announce a standard edition.

If Taschen or Rizzoli published an Amano catalog like this, I would be delighted to pay 29,700 yen for it. XD