Artbooks & Gaming books |OT| A new era, a new shelf

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out with this.

I am looking for some books on Metal Gear Solid (franchise) and Final Fantasy XI that are focused on game design, lore, history, art and pretty much anything relating to the game(s). I found one for MGS (MGS:Hideo Kojimas Magnum Opus) but that one is mostly text with no art I believe, and the ones I've found for FFXI are in Japanese (FFXI 10th Anniversary Official Memorial Book and Lightning Brigade 10 Year Encyclopedia).

Does anyone know of any books that fit the aforementioned criteria?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I can't vouch for it, but from what I've heard, the Boss Fight Book on Metal Gear Solid is a good read.

Edit: whoops, just saw that UnluckyKate already covered the book!

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Was wondering if I could pick your brains a moment... I ordered the Kingdom Come: Deliverance Art Book from Deepsilver UK for $40 + $31 shipping. While I understood that there may be duty and taxes on this item when shipping it to the USA I was notified by UPS that it came to $80! I've ordered tons of stuff from overseas over the years (Kickstarter goods, Bitmap Books books, etc.) and never seen a fee like that. Anyone have any insight into how this came to be? I contacted Deepsilver but I doubt they know anything (I did ask them how they declared the good). Likewise with UPS, they just said it is what Customs decided. I haven't contacted them but I'm guessing that'd be pointless. I guess just suck it up and pay it? I'm done ordering overseas, I guess, that is ridiculous.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... that Amano Vogue is incredible! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
You actually just reminded me of the EGM FFX cover he did. Pleasantly surprised to learn one of the EGM staff took progress pics.

Was wondering if I could pick your brains a moment... I ordered the Kingdom Come: Deliverance Art Book from Deepsilver UK for $40 + $31 shipping. While I understood that there may be duty and taxes on this item when shipping it to the USA I was notified by UPS that it came to $80! I've ordered tons of stuff from overseas over the years (Kickstarter goods, Bitmap Books books, etc.) and never seen a fee like that. Anyone have any insight into how this came to be? I contacted Deepsilver but I doubt they know anything (I did ask them how they declared the good). Likewise with UPS, they just said it is what Customs decided. I haven't contacted them but I'm guessing that'd be pointless. I guess just suck it up and pay it? I'm done ordering overseas, I guess, that is ridiculous.
I order from overseas all the time (Japan mostly) into the US and never get taxed. Even for orders of books over $150.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I order from overseas all the time (Japan mostly) into the US and never get taxed. Even for orders of books over $150.
Yeah, I normally don't get fees. I mean, if it had been 5%, 10%, heck even 20% I'd sigh and move on. But 200% of the value?! Surely it is a mistake. I tweeted CBP Mid-Atlantic (it is coming through Philadelphia), hopefully I'll get a response. Thanks!

Radium217

Oct 31, 2019
Hey era, was, wondering if anyone can help me - looking at buying Ultimania Final Fantasy Archive Volume 2 and 3 - would anyone recommend these books?

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, I normally don't get fees. I mean, if it had been 5%, 10%, heck even 20% I'd sigh and move on. But 200% of the value?! Surely it is a mistake. I tweeted CBP Mid-Atlantic (it is coming through Philadelphia), hopefully I'll get a response. Thanks!
Yup, that amount is ridiculous. Decline the package so it's returned and get a refund, then order from someplace else.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds weird. I've been importing stuff from overseas for over a decade and I have not once had to pay any kind of import tax. Even on things that cost upwards of $400.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i usually don't care for different covers but when it concerns a Shinkawa variant i think i'll shoot for that version

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Sounds weird. I've been importing stuff from overseas for over a decade and I have not once had to pay any kind of import tax. Even on things that cost upwards of $400.
For the US, unless the recent trade war crap has changed this drastically, I thought that paying a duty was mainly for stuff that's labeled for commercial and not personal use. There are exceptions of course but an artbook?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
no real details about it aside from 2 different covers and they won't be pre-orderable until after the standard edition releases, these better not be more expensive just for the cover and some what i assume will be a bonus art card thing
I'd honestly rather it be that than additional content. Otherwise everyone who bought the standard will feel ripped-off.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought Udon were done with art books, I swear they just sort of trailed off but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
Think Shovel Knight was my last one by them

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought Udon were done with art books, I swear they just sort of trailed off but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
Think Shovel Knight was my last one by them
They still release stuff, just at a much slower pace than previously. They have an Art of Capcom 3 book coming out in September, and various hardcover reprints of other titles. Though I think it's safe to say Dark Horse has taken the crown when it comes to domestic artbooks in the US.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Seems to be pretty much same size as well. It's great that it's getting a wide release, because the contents are absolutely amazing. One of the, if not THE best artbook I own.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Does anyone happen to be familiar with both the original releases of the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers series and the recent abridged Japansoft edition? I wanted to pick up the original volumes but then thought I'd wait for Japansoft. But the fact that it's re-edited and abridged gives me pause. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the new edition, particularly in comparison to the old editions?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone happen to be familiar with both the original releases of the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers series and the recent abridged Japansoft edition? I wanted to pick up the original volumes but then thought I'd wait for Japansoft. But the fact that it's re-edited and abridged gives me pause. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the new edition, particularly in comparison to the old editions?
It seems Japansoft has some additional interviews not in Untold History. To quote, it "adds brand new, specially-conducted interviews with figures including Dylan Cuthbert (Star Fox), Manami Matsumae (Mega Man, Dynasty Wars) and Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl)."

But I say this as someone who only has volume one, so someone would need to write up the table of contents as I can't seem to find a list online.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
How much cheaper is it to pre order the Cuphead book now as opposed to buying it when it is released? Or will it be the same price?