Artbooks & Gaming books |OT| A new era, a new shelf

Oct 31, 2017
i'm kinda glad when it come to books that ironically amazon sucks because i've found booksetc to be a good uk based book seller, they're way cheaper than amazon but then again when amazon charge VAT on books when you're not supposed to, only down side is there's no pre-order so i have to keep an eye on listings to see when they come in stock
I would have done that too if I could but I'm not living in the UK and I hardly doubt I would find the Art of Gears 5 for 9€ anywhere else ! :D

Importing drugs from Japan. I must be quite the genius!
lmao

I have to say though that I bought a few times from Amazon Japan and the packaging was always five stars (with DHL taking care of the packages as well).

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese packages can probably survive the Titanic sinking.

Buyee is very good with it too if you need a proxy shipper for auctions.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, got the Super Mario Odyssey artbook & for some reason, I'm surprised by how hefty it is despite having the Splatoon one also by Dark Horse....though I'm starting to think maybe I should invest in a new book shelf, I don't think I can fit that, Metal Slug, PlayStation Anthology, AND HG101 Japanese Video Game Obscurities......AND Untold History of Japanese Game Developers, which I seriously need to start after having it for like 4 years.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, anyway to get the P5 Artbook on English physical without having to sell my internal organs or do I have to go for the Japanese edition?

Also, I bought 'The World of Professor Layton'. It's way better than I expected, all those interviews with creatives are so good. A shame there's not an updated edition that includes the latest game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, of course most of the books I want don't qualify for the $5 off. & the one or two that do are ones I asked for as gifts. Then again, I should probably hold off for the time being since I still have four books to finish.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Just got the Hollow Knight wanderer's journal, and I have to say I am kind of disappointed.

Not only are the dimensions of the book very small compared to other art books, but even the content is kind of lacking. I would have loved to see actual concept art especially of the beautiful environments in the game. What a missed opportunity.

Hopefully Team Cherry releases an official art book in the future.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
end of year purschases :

If you enjoyed Ninja's Theory games, Talexi works is a must have. It's full of comment, from his debuts to first video game job on heavenly sword, his insight and how he totally transformed the main character design and why, then how he became art director... each piece is commented, documented, its full of great explanation and good art.

Bitmap's unofficial SNES pixel book is great. Loved how they got full page, multi screen collage of sceneries of characters to truly enjoy in full view. its full of cool commentary too.

Arcade game typography seem small here because its between huge books but I think the size is perfect. The book also felt way more premium than I thought : the cover is silver lined, the pages are thick and very confortable to go through. The content is for huge typo nerds or massive arcade nostalgic. I mean, they spot how the V is one pixel too low by accident on a specific game or how a single pixel of color changes in another font. It's pack full of annecdote and stories and it sweats the labor of love.

Art of nausicaa is a bit weird : it opens with tons of preparation concepts, mostly water paiting its so pretty but then its almost the entire movie paintedand then the movie cell side by side but its too small to really make out the differences ? Then its takes a long time to explain all animation techniques of the cell, the dolly, the lightning, the color grading, the zoom, traveling etc, its the first time I actually read about this and its amazing the work they did before digital animation to recreate camera work on cells

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
end of year purschases :

Bitmap's unofficial SNES pixel book is great. Loved how they got full page, multi screen collage of sceneries of characters to truly enjoy in full view. its full of cool commentary too.
So cool! I'm glad you like it because I've been eyeing it as my next purchase. I so want to buy the Artcade book from bitmap as well.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
UnluckyKate That's a nice haul. Love the Nausicaa cover and yeah it's annoying how the Ghibli art books will use tiny images :/

ROM's Dreamcast book arrived today, not full of artwork but what's there is great. I wish the book was a bit bigger though, oh well.

I need to upgrade my phone camera :/

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Some of my old favorites. Grandia 2 is magnificient!

I want something new for christmas. Which one of the Zelda artbooks would you guys recommend? Is there a good Uncharted artbook? Is the Witcher world artbook worth having?

What I really want is old rpg artbooks like Xenogears but I can't really ask my SO to buy it! 😅

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my old favorites. Grandia 2 is magnificient!

I want something new for christmas. Which one of the Zelda artbooks would you guys recommend? Is there a good Uncharted artbook? Is the Witcher world artbook worth having?

What I really want is old rpg artbooks like Xenogears but I can't really ask my SO to buy it! 😅
Zelda art & artifacts is highly regarded. The follow up Hyrule Historia is also amazing.
Try art of uncharted trilogy
Witcher 3 world lorebook is text heavy and but slim on art. Its not bad but not a traditional artbook.
Xenogears perfect works can easily be purchased from japan :

and its price been dropping to the lowest its ever been for this year :

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Zelda art & artifacts is highly regarded. The follow up Hyrule Historia is also amazing.
Try art of uncharted trilogy
Witcher 3 world lorebook is text heavy and but slim on art. Its not bad but not a traditional artbook.
Xenogears perfect works can easily be purchased from japan :

and its price been dropping to the lowest its ever been for this year :
I think I'm going for the Zelda art & artifacts then. Looks nice. Xenogears I'll save for after christmas. Thanks for all the advice!

Raguel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm beginning my collection of artbooks with the amano ones, pixar collection, hyrule historia, black panther, 2014 Godzilla ones. Looking to fill some more shelves so I'm keeping a watch on this thread.

So far my favs are the Amano and black panther ones.

i am gonna buy more so I want to ask what are you guys favs?

I'm prob gonna see pick the zelda artifact one. And the metal gear yoji shinkawa ones. Anything else that you all recommend?

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
UnluckyKate That's a nice haul. Love the Nausicaa cover and yeah it's annoying how the Ghibli art books will use tiny images :/

ROM's Dreamcast book arrived today, not full of artwork but what's there is great. I wish the book was a bit bigger though, oh well.

I need to upgrade my phone camera :/
Still waiting for my copy. Been looking forward to this book for a long time. I hope they do a Saturn version one day too.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning my collection of artbooks with the amano ones, pixar collection, hyrule historia, black panther, 2014 Godzilla ones. Looking to fill some more shelves so I'm keeping a watch on this thread.

So far my favs are the Amano and black panther ones.

i am gonna buy more so I want to ask what are you guys favs?

I'm prob gonna see pick the zelda artifact one. And the metal gear yoji shinkawa ones. Anything else that you all recommend?
Check my ot for a few recommandations.
Just search for what games or franchise you like and check if they have a book for it. Most have nowadays!

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
Just had the GRIS signature edition come through and the art book is beautiful.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
Wait that's massive!
Oh god where am i going to store this
Just realised it was the signature edition if that changes expectations! It is that, didn’t expect it or the gloves on opening lol. It’s stunning though, had completely forgotten since I ordered it back in July and has been the best surprise this morning. Beautiful from start to finish and the physical box sleeve they pack in for the game is a slightly metallic print. It’s the subtle touches that really make it as always.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
I used Amazon's thanksgiving deal to pick up a bunch of Star Wars art books including Solo and Fallen Order, both well presented and well worth adding to the collection. Shame Rise of Skywalker's got pushed back so far.

I also bit the bullet and ordered the Sekiro Design Works from Amazon.JP. The US store had it but it was third party and they were selling it for $64 while ordering direct from Japan and Amazon was only $43 including shipping.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Just realised it was the signature edition if that changes expectations! It is that, didn’t expect it or the gloves on opening lol. It’s stunning though, had completely forgotten since I ordered it back in July and has been the best surprise this morning. Beautiful from start to finish and the physical box sleeve they pack in for the game is a slightly metallic print. It’s the subtle touches that really make it as always.
I don't remember what I pre orderer. It wasn't the bundle with the physical copy of the game but it look like the black book you posted, not the softcover made after. Did they made two sizes for the black book.

I can't find the order mail either haha I guess I'll see what comes through the door monday

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
i asked them about this a while ago and i think they said it was something out of their hands because of Sony or some sort of contract deal which is pretty bullshit because the french or german version is hardcover
What a BS answer. Its otherwise a really good artbook. I consider the Dark souls art books to be the gold standard for gaming artbooks.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did we know Dark Horse is doing another God of War book coming in June? Just ran across it on Amazon.

The hit game is brought to life in a tangible and exciting new way as readers are invited to plumb the lore of God of War through the eyes of Kratos' son, Atreus. This hardcover volume chronicles Atreus and Kratos' journey through the fabled Nine Realms, from the Wildwoods of Midgard to the mountains of Jötunheim and beyond. In addition to the record of their mythic journey, this wonderous collection also includes a bestiary that was assembled during those travels, intimate dossiers of the characters that inhabit the masterfully crafted universe, and much more!

Oct 29, 2017
God damnit, I just found put there are Art books for every single star wars movie...

Goodbye money :D

(Does anyone here have them? Are they good quality?)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I used Amazon's thanksgiving deal to pick up a bunch of Star Wars art books including Solo and Fallen Order, both well presented and well worth adding to the collection. Shame Rise of Skywalker's got pushed back so far.
oh man, I was looking forward to that, too.
Probably for spoilers since the Visual Dictionary scans are out there.
Does that matter? Images leaked from the TFA and TLJ artbooks. The artbooks have always come out day-and-date with the films, as most movie artbooks seem to.
God damnit, I just found put there are Art books for every single star wars movie...

I have the Force Awakens, Last Jedi and Solo artbooks. They're all a uniform size, which is nice. The interiors are quite good, too.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017

I have the prequel trilogy, sequel trilogy thus far and Solo’s art book. All of them terrific with tons of content. You can see what they’re like via Parka’s list.

oh man, I was looking forward to that, too.

Does that matter? Images leaked from the TFA and TLJ artbooks. The artbooks have always come out day-and-date with the films, as most movie artbooks seem to.
Its all I can think of honestly. The author was quite excited for the release and then was disappointed when it got pushed back but it was out of their control. TFA art book was missing an obvious chapter that didn’t appear until TLJ art book was released due to spoilers despite said spoiler being known by fans who had scoured for leaks.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Its all I can think of honestly. The author was quite excited for the release and then was disappointed when it got pushed back but it was out of their control. TFA art book was missing an obvious chapter that didn’t appear until TLJ art book was released due to spoilers despite said spoiler being known by fans who had scoured for leaks.
I'm not saying it's not possible. It's just disappointing. It happened with the Death Stranding artbook too, presumably for the same reasons. Though the books are published by different companies.