Apple |OT|

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
Funny thing is I’ve never used Carplay with my phone. I only connect my phone to my car when I want to listen to my music via the usb jack. Weird. 🤔
Does your car have CarPlay? Anyway, I think it's a timing problem that may only apply to the Honda system in my car. It's slow to start and wants to display a warning message before fully booting. Sometimes the iPhone will jump the gun and start playing whatever podcast/audiobook I was last listening to before CarPlay even loads up onto the touch screen in the car. So I think there is some kind of conflict going on there. Still, a bug though.

Sid

Mar 28, 2018
So if the next iPhone Pro models are 5.4 and 6.7 inches I’ll have to upgrade to the bigger one. Really wish Apple would make the smaller Pro model 6.1 inches.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Can 6.7 fit in the body of a Pro Max? Are slimmer bezels enough?

And does anyone else want light/dark mode app icons?

Vilix

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh, I have another iOS question. How often do y’all force quit your apps? I know they say that unless the app is frozen there’s no need to. But I wonder is there any benefit to having them completely closed?

Last edited:

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I have another iOS question. How often do y’all force quit your apps? I know they say that unless the app is frozen there’s no need to. But I wonder is there any benefit to having them completely closed?
When I have an issue. Like, never otherwise. Silly habit people have.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I never do. I do disable Background App Refresh for most apps. I’m not even sure if that makes much difference to battery use though.

As for your earlier question about updating to iOS 13, the only problem I’ve had with it is with the keyboard. Autocorrect sucks now. It sucked in iOS 13.0 and it still sucks in iOS 13.2.3. It seems to have particular trouble with resetera’s edit box, but it also sucks everywhere else.

I don’t just mean it fails to correct mistakes. It also makes corrections to things that aren’t mistakes. It constantly messes up my flow.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There's no real benefit. You're actually using up more power by constantly "force quitting" your apps because they'll have to actually launch again at a later point.
The apps aren't actually running, they're suspended. You're not quitting them, but just flushing them from memory

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
Watching movies with AirPods is so much better now than with my old cheap-o bluetooth headphones.

Has anyone tried the AirPod Pro's? And if so are they worth the extra $90?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Watching movies with AirPods is so much better now than with my old cheap-o bluetooth headphones.

Has anyone tried the AirPod Pro's? And if so are they worth the extra $90?
there is a while thread on the pros. But for me - they’re a little less practical day to day (tiny bit bearded to put in and they don’t just stay put as easily). But the occasional need of noise cancelling is worth it IMO

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hrgh...

That 5.4 inch is ssoooo going to be mine this time next year!

It has been four years since I last bought a new iPhone (the original iPhone SE), all because Apple kept making their phones bigger and heavier in the past couple of years.

Out of curiosity, what’s with the 4.7 inch iPhone 8-esque model on the far left?
rumoured Iphone SE2 - cheaper device with iPhone 8 chassis

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
My 2016 SE died after almost two years of use - it stopped charging altogether and I was getting frustrated with the glitchy touch screen anyway, so I went for a Galaxy S10e in the end. What I loved most about it was the blazing fast performance and the really compact form factor, which let me use it with only one hand most of the time.

Will switch back to iPhone next, and I might give the SE2 a look assuming it doesn't have many compromises.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

hopefully the 2021 iPhone has USBC instead.
If it really means that it will not have any physical ports, that would really suck for all the car owners out there with CarPlay. Only one or two manufacturers have implemented wireless CarPlay so far. It requires a WiFi connection. Ford is implementing it on some cars for the 2021 model year. But there are a whole lot of cars out there that only work with wired CarPlay.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
If it really means that it will not have any physical ports, that would really suck for all the car owners out there with CarPlay. Only one or two manufacturers have implemented wireless CarPlay so far. It requires a WiFi connection. Ford is implementing it on some cars for the 2021 model year. But there are a whole lot of cars out there that only work with wired CarPlay.
I would probably keep my old phone around for my car then. But I don't believe it, I want to fast charge and do quick local backups. I can't be the only one.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else encountered this memory leak issue with iTunes on Windows 10? It just takes more and more memory until it physically can't anymore
I've found this but there's no real solution as far as I can see

Luckily they launched the Apple Music web client recently but I still wish they'd fix it

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
Had a scare, thought maybe my SIM card was damaged. Couldn’t get cellular data at all. Calls were fine, no data. Was looking at settings and found I could reset network settings. Worked like a charm. I was really dreading having to stop by a t-mobile store for a new SIM or worse having to replace my brand new phone.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
What's the mspaint equiv in Mac? I want to quickly manipulate a screenshot and share it. Seems like this should be something Mac would shine at but I can't figure it out.

In Windows I hit screenshot, Windows key + R: mspaint, ctrl v and bam. Here I am googling and all the suggestions involve downloading other apps and going through like ten steps. That can't be right.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What's the mspaint equiv in Mac? I want to quickly manipulate a screenshot and share it. Seems like this should be something Mac would shine at but I can't figure it out.

In Windows I hit screenshot, Windows key + R: mspaint, ctrl v and bam. Here I am googling and all the suggestions involve downloading other apps and going through like ten steps. That can't be right.
You can just us markup right after having taken the screenshot.

Lets you annotate, doodle, crop and all that shit.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
I don't have any option. I take the screenshot, it saves to my desktop, and that's that. Do I need to adjust a setting? Also thanks for helping

Oh NM I see now, cool.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
U, S, and A
Anyone know if apple TV app for fire TV 4k support 4k hdr video playback?
It says it's compatible with the Fire Stick 4K, so I am assuming so. It doesn't say on Apple.com, or if it does I am missing it in the jumble of marketing speak.

A question: when I use the touchbar on my macbook to correct a word, it also spits out some nonsense after it. Just random letters. How can I stop it from doing that?

Oct 25, 2017
well, i was going to ride out my 2016 15" mbp a while longer, but instead of repairing it again a fourth time for the same exact issue the apple store decided to just swap it out for this

merry christmas to me!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I got a budget to buy a 256gb 11” Pro. Or should I add an extra to buy the 12.9” 64gb Pro? Bigger storage or screen?
Nobody can answer this question for you. I prefer portability and I don't need more than 64GB. These are answers only you can give yourself.

If you don't need 256GB, then don't waste your money, is all I can advise. As for screen-size, that's just a matter of preference.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
well, i was going to ride out my 2016 15" mbp a while longer, but instead of repairing it again a fourth time for the same exact issue the apple store decided to just swap it out for this

merry christmas to me!
haha, wtf, you even got the i9 with the 5500M

Lucky you!

like, please don't switch to the "storage" tab - i bet it's gonna say 1TB SSD 🤣

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I almost got a heart attack speccing out the Mac Pro. Ended up with around 10k euro in VAT lmao

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
My Mac Pro came out to about $10k, without the $6k display. I've wanted a new Mac Pro for so long -- my 2008 model is still under my desk -- but there's no way I can justify those prices. The fact that there's no smaller, more affordable Pro Display, nor a midrange Mac Pro model, is just kind of offensive. I bet only 1% of former Mac Pro users can afford the new ones.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I want that Pro Display so bad. Time to go win the lottery so I can easily justify these these ridiculous purchases.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I want that Pro Display so bad. Time to go win the lottery so I can easily justify these these ridiculous purchases.
Same, it looks so hot and it must be incredibly sharp. But on the other hand I really, absolutely, and fully have no use for any of the features that actually make up it's massive price tag lol. I would love to see it in person though, I wonder if these will be available in Apple Stores only (if at all) or if they will be sold/display at other stores as well.

fuchsdh

Oct 25, 2017
My Mac Pro came out to about $10k, without the $6k display. I've wanted a new Mac Pro for so long -- my 2008 model is still under my desk -- but there's no way I can justify those prices. The fact that there's no smaller, more affordable Pro Display, nor a midrange Mac Pro model, is just kind of offensive. I bet only 1% of former Mac Pro users can afford the new ones.
I’d say just see what the prices are like on previous gen models when the 8,1s come out.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's swooning for the new Mac Pro, meanwhile i'm absolutely in love with the fingerprint sensor on my 16" Macbook.

Like, yesterday i bought something with a click and a tap with the finger via Apple Pay ... with my Austrian Bank's freaking debit card.
(Apple Pay automatically fills in the shipping address from your AppleID ... )
It's like space magic.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea about Mac Pros from back then. They were more affordable back then? I really would like to see something between this insane thing and the Mac Mini. Like iMac type of power inside an expandable desktop. One can dream I guess.

rokkerkory

Jun 14, 2018
Guys - any deals if I just want to buy 11 pro max device straight up? My work pays for the service via att so just need device.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
A thousand years ago when I had a landline, I had a called ID that would tell me who was calling. Not just the number but the name of the person or business.

Now in the future, I only get a caller's number unless they're a contact. Is there an app that will show who's calling?