Animal Crossing: New Horizon Hype Thread

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enduin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Holy moly no gender options!!!

That might be thread worthy.
One of the producers announced back at E3 that character appearance stuff wouldn't be gender locked so it's exactly new info, but seeing it in action is definitely a great deal more powerful. Certainly might be worth its own thread just cause. Though it's still not clear how, if at all, they'll handle personal pronouns beyond Lad/Lass options for Passport Titles.

I would guess either change your name and/or change your pronouns if that is in fact included. Probably just name though for people who don't want to go by their Switch Account profile name.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
One of the producers announced back at E3 that character appearance stuff wouldn't be gender locked so it's exactly new info, but seeing it in action is definitely a great deal more powerful. Certainly might be worth its own thread just cause. Though it's still not clear how, if at all, they'll handle personal pronouns beyond Lad/Lass options for Passport Titles.
For the lad/lass thing they showed the player getting both titles, so people could just use whichever and change them freely.

My bet is the game is going all in on neutral pronouns and there are zero distinctions between genders, which IMO would be definitely news worthy.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm liking the music we've heard from New Horizons much more than the New Leaf soundtrack. I only really loved a few of those songs and think it's the weakest AC OST. Not bad, but it just wasn't memorable to me.

Supermanisdead

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super glad they got rid of the godawful character creation quiz. The amount of options they have in the new game just doesn't make it possible to go through all those miserable questions to get to the town and realize you are a sleepy eyed dope. Someone suggested being able to check a mirror after the questions are done and re-do the quiz, but that sounds even more tiring. Opening it up for complete customization now that the series, after nearly 20 years, has skin colour options is the right move.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
RIP Rover, RIP Harriet, RIP Reese/Cyrus, RIP Pelly/Phyllis. So many NPCs being made obsolete for convenience's sake. Even if removing the quiz is overall the better option, it's too bad they didn't still put Rover behind that welcome desk instead of the Nooklings.

Next week we'll find out Brewster was replaced by a 7-Eleven coffee dispenser. :(

I mean yes I know all these characters could be in with new purposes, but even if some are, I doubt it's all of them at this point. Poor guys.

Solar Puffin

Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
If there's no option to choose gender, does that mean that the game will refuse to use pronouns beyond the neutral they?
I feel like i'd prefer the option to choose pronouns. Still, it's a pretty big step regardless.

JaredG

May 17, 2018
If there's no option to choose gender, does that mean that the game will refuse to use pronouns beyond the neutral they?
If there really is no option they don't have much choice but to do that. Unless the villagers literally never talk about you in conversations with each other or with other human players which would be a very silly way to avoid using pronouns.

RIP Rover, RIP Harriet, RIP Reese/Cyrus, RIP Pelly/Phyllis. So many NPCs being made obsolete for convenience's sake. Even if removing the quiz is overall the better option, it's too bad they didn't still put Rover behind that welcome desk instead of the Nooklings.

Next week we'll find out Brewster was replaced by a 7-Eleven coffee dispenser. :(

I mean yes I know all these characters could be in with new purposes, but even if some are, I doubt it's all of them at this point. Poor guys.
Yeah, this really bums me out. A Youtuber who's apparently had insider information on the game (she teased holidays as free DLC and Resetti driving a rescue helicopter before the direct) said she was told that Pelly and Phyllis aren't in the game at all. Seems crazy to just remove series staples like that. It also makes me think the Roost may not still be around (at least not as its own building) because it would be easy to make it more of a tourist-y type thing where all these special characters could appear without needing some gameplay purpose.

Enduin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel like i'd prefer the option to choose pronouns. Still, it's a pretty big step regardless.
You can choose from Lad/Lass for Nook Miles titles you use on your passport. They may derive personal pronouns from that or just stick to They/Them regardless and truly go to gender neutral. It's not clear right now how it will be handled.

Melpomene

Jun 9, 2019

Reese/Cyrus' primary purpose is still unfulfilled - the furniture customization was always a "bonus" feature on top of their operation as a secondhand shop.

As for Pelly/Phyllis... if they're not in, I'm just confused. Nothing about the new mail system requires that they not be there. The process could be just as snappy with them handling it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is unpopular but I have yet to hear any music that’s grabbed me in New Horizons, whereas I was already pretty attached to 8am at this point from New Leaf in trailers. I’ll await full judgement until the game is out, but eh.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

Blathers will be replaced by a computer with Wikipedia open in the browser next game.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I guess this is unpopular but I have yet to hear any music that’s grabbed me in New Horizons, whereas I was already pretty attached to 8am at this point from New Leaf in trailers. I’ll await full judgement until the game is out, but eh.
I have several pieces I already know from New Horizons, but they do rely on the main motif a good bit

listen to 19:22 in the direct (https://youtu.be/Ie4WZCLbtVs?t=1162) or 14:08 (https://youtu.be/Ie4WZCLbtVs?t=848). if you aren’t down with these then we’ll just agree to disagree

pseudotsuga

Feb 4, 2018
If there really is no option they don't have much choice but to do that. Unless the villagers literally never talk about you in conversations with each other or with other human players which would be a very silly way to avoid using pronouns.

Yeah, this really bums me out. A Youtuber who's apparently had insider information on the game (she teased holidays as free DLC and Resetti driving a rescue helicopter before the direct) said she was told that Pelly and Phyllis aren't in the game at all. Seems crazy to just remove series staples like that. It also makes me think the Roost may not still be around (at least not as its own building) because it would be easy to make it more of a tourist-y type thing where all these special characters could appear without needing some gameplay purpose.
No Pelly would make me sad. I love her. :( Plus like, she's a Pelican! On an Island! Hello!

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
First they came for Pelly and Phyllis and I did not speak out, because I was not a post office worker.
Then they came for Rover and I did not speak out, because I don't talk to strangers on public transportation.
Then they came for Harriet I did not speak out, because I'm bald.
Then they came for Cyrus and Reese and I did not speak out, because I could still shop at Nook's Cranny.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Oct 28, 2017
First they came for Pelly and Phyllis and I did not speak out, because I was not a post office worker.
Then they came for Rover and I did not speak out, because I don't talk to strangers on public transportation.
Then they came for Harriet I did not speak out, because I'm bald.
Then they came for Cyrus and Reese and I did not speak out, because I could still shop at Nook's Cranny.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
The sense of humor on display in this thread is quality. Keep it up!
Because I need something to distract me from the fact that the game isn't out yet.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017

Apologies if I have missed it, but do we know whether Nat, Chip and Joan will make it into the game? Seems strange to suddenly replace them with 'junior' versions... maybe they could appear at some kind of 'expert' level of bug/fish tourney but I have no idea how that would work in a game like AC.

Nov 8, 2017
I ordered the AC themed Switch from Walmart and every day or two I’m getting lit up by release date changing back and forth between 3/12 and 3/13. Anyone else suffering from the constant email reminder madness?

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Ahhh man. I know we’ve only seen one example so far but it seems like facial hair is making a debut! I cannot wait to finally get a beard on my villager.

There’s genuinely no other game I want to play right now, don’t know what to do with myself..

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Y'know what I really miss about the Gamecube one? The grid and finding furniture by going to specific coordinates on the map. Things like that.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France

I totally expect a big cut...so that I won't be disapointed if it indeed happens.
Also the Nooklings seem to have a gardening space in their shop. So I also expect Leif to be cut.

Asbsand

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
To rephrase my previous thought: @Asbsand, New Leaf did not have the design motivations of the original. But it didn’t have the confidence to give players complete control. I’m exaggerating now, because it was a competently designed game, but in short, it had nothing. New Horizons has freed itself from the remnants of the series’s past and has found a new identity of its own. Personally, I welcome it.
I don't see it the same way. I see NL as the start of what we now have in NH. More power to the player, and more "service-minded" usage for NPCs, where instead of it being a cutesy experimental "Tamogochi but BIGGER" concept it's become more like a SIM. And I frankly never took it for a Sim despite the similarities (the furniture stuff) prior to NL.

I don't see NH as a departure at all - I just had things in NL I wish would change back or have it but also the old stuff, that but instead the NL approach has been vastly doubled down on.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first Animal Crossing game, having never been interested in the series and being very much "I don't get it, what do you do?" people previously. I'm really hyped. Interestingly, for a game series that always struck me as childish, I feel myself understanding its appeal more as a I get older (mid 30s, perpetually stressed with life stuff), and being drawn into the appeal of gentle, relaxed escapism.

Without having anything to compare it to having not played an AC game before, I'd add that the array of customisation shown in the last Direct appeals to me massively - I can't think of anything more delightful than being able to tinker with my island/home to my heart's content. Looking at it from the other side, I'd imagine I'd have been quite disappointed if the game hit me with a lot of "you can't do that" and enforcing things on my island that I didn't want.

Long-winded way of saying very hyped as a series newcomer.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Tool of a Nook

Last edited:

Aprikurt

Oct 29, 2017
This will be my first Animal Crossing game, having never been interested in the series and being very much "I don't get it, what do you do?" people previously. I'm really hyped. Interestingly, for a game series that always struck me as childish, I feel myself understanding its appeal more as a I get older (mid 30s, perpetually stressed with life style), and being drawn into the appeal of gentle, relaxed escapism.

Without having anything to compare it to having not played an AC game before, I'd add that the array of customisation shown in the last Direct appeals to me massively - I can't think of anything more delightful than being able to tinker with my island/home to my heart's content. Looking at it from the other side, I'd imagine I'd have been quite disappointed if the game hit me with a lot of "you can't do that" and enforcing things on my island that I didn't want.

Long-winded way of saying very hyped as a series newcomer.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Tool of a Nook
There’s a reason why you’ll find more adults than kids lining up on March 20th; it offers that escapism you mention, and is just very “zen” in a way that no other series is for me.

Also the concept of a mortgage with no interest is tragically appealing for adults 😭
Perfection.

Bufbaf

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm honestly still a bit worried about some kind of premium currency insert taken from their mobile experience, especially for some of the deep level customization stuff. I need to know where this yellow box currency comes from -.- Pls Nintondo

Aprikurt

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly still a bit worried about some kind of premium currency insert taken from their mobile experience, especially for some of the deep level customization stuff. I need to know where this yellow box currency comes from -.- Pls Nintondo
They haven’t bought over this from any other mobile game, so there’s no reason to think they’d do so here. I think Nintendo understand the delineation between mobile and console/handheld markets quite well.

Oct 28, 2017
I know there are tons of other explanations but I still can't shake off the doubt. Maybe it'll cleared up before launch but yeah 😣

Also there's this
, even if it had been changed for now
That label just means "we can open the eShop in some way from the game", and until Nintendo tells us what it is for, we do not know if they are thinking about adding things via microtransactions or adding things by having a major paid update in the future. However, every full priced Switch game made by Nintendo that has that label in the ratings, has it for the purpose of purchasing major paid updates and not for mtx. I hope that puts your mind at ease slightly.

Bufbaf

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That label just means "we can open the eShop in some way from the game", and until Nintendo tells us what it is for, we do not know if they are thinking about adding things via microtransactions or adding things by having a major paid update in the future. However, every full priced Switch game made by Nintendo that has that label in the ratings, has it for the purpose of purchasing major paid updates and not for mtx. I hope that puts your mind at ease slightly.
Slightly! Zelda doesn't have it, Smash Bros. does. I'll remain worried, especially after the ESRB rating returned.

Last edited:

Akyzane

Jan 13, 2019
Removing series staple characters scares me a little. I hope NH doesn't lose the series charm, just for player convenience...

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Let's not forget that there's going to be free updates later on. Some important characters may not be in the game now, but they can always add them later.

And still, we don't actually know if they aren't in the game! Maybe they serve a different purpose now in a facility we unlock later on that we haven't seen yet!