AEW Dynamite |OT2| #JoinDarkOrder UP: Blood and Guts postponed/Dynamite continues live shows with no audience

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Jericho was great, but I did not enjoy Matt in the final segment. Lincoln and MLK are here? Why? What are you building here? Seemingly nothing! Just saying random ”weird” things!

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
Jericho was great, but I did not enjoy Matt in the final segment. Lincoln and MLK are here? Why? What are you building here? Seemingly nothing! Just saying random ”weird” things!
They are establishing Matt's character since he is fresh in.

They went over his whole broken character, the fact he is in touch with spirits (hence the Lincoln and MLK mentions) and gave those who may not know him a brief idea of what he is about.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I thought overall last night's show didn't come off as well as the week before, which is natural as even the minimal wrestler crowd wasn't allowed now. Still, I was entertained and I appreciate the efforts they're all making to compensate for the lack of crowd (eg gambling cam, Sammy's paper drawings) rather than just trying to put on a standard show. To each their own, but I'll take something over nothing right now.

-Cody/Havoc was fine but nothing too special. I continue to feel they've made good adjustments on Havoc's character. Although I'm strangely looking forward to a hardcore match between him and Luther, I really want to see Havoc get an actual good angle because he's mostly just been there without much direction.

-Darby continues to be a treasure with the short films. I love that touch for his matches, love the ongoing obsession with the Inner Circle, and hope that eventually gets paid off to elevate him.

-I'm whatever on Hager. Moxley going after him is a continuation of his deal with the IC, and they never had him go through Hager despite going through the rest of the stable. If there's a time to do a throwaway feud between them, I think there's no better time than now.

-I personally like the apparent direction with Brodie Lee. Considering the 'spooky cult" angle for the group got widely panned, I am all for going the direction of an asshole Vince-like character. I think it needs to be more than just Vince ribs/insider references, but it looks like it'll be a good character for Brodie. I also like planting the seeds for Reynolds/Silver to eventually be emancipated from the group after they've had enough abuse.

-Kenny/Sammy was fun. Sammy's creativity continues to come through, he's proving more and more that he's a treasure too.

-Jericho cutting a promo on a drone and trying to recruit a drone to the IC was gold. The Hardy stuff otherwise is obviously going to be really polarizing. I think it comes across a lot better with a rabid crowd chanting and singing with him so I'll forgive some awkwardness now. I do hope he takes it a different direction and doesn't just rehash the previous Broken stuff because - although WWE completely dropped the ball with him - it still pretty much ran its course in TNA previously.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they slowly transition Brody from a McMahon impression to something resembling Jared Leto. Let him play up that he is a wrestler that decided to start his own cult complete with private “Island” which could be a Cracker Barrel or something ludicrous

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I need a segment where Damascus and Luchasaurus just sit down and chat about shit that happened 3000 years ago and friends they might have had in common.

Archon

Oct 27, 2017
If this is the format going forward then it's YouTube clips for the foreseeable future for me.
Only the Matt Hardy and Jericho stuff works in a completely empty arena.

Jericho and Matt Hardy slayed me, they could just do a sitcom with them two until the pandemic is over and I'd be cool with it.

They need to move away from the traditional and go all in on promos and wrestling outside of a ring, go nuts with it.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
They need to move away from the traditional and go all in on promos and wrestling outside of a ring, go nuts with it.
I think that's going to be the case in the coming weeks if they're still having shows. Last night already had more pre-taped stuff than they've probably ever had.

More and more people are getting locked down so it's going to get to the point where they're not going to be able to get enough people in to have full in-ring shows.

Which I'm fine with- their taped segments have always been really good and you could argue that they should always be featuring more of it. They maintained interest over months with weekly, brief YouTube videos so I'm sure they'll pull it off.

pazinyo

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Well that certainly wasn’t up to the standard of last weeks show, you could tell a lot of stuff hadn’t gone to plan, scheduled matches not taking place, Tony Schiavone getting his ad breaks wrong, sound issues, it was clear to the audience this week that putting on a show with even fewer people was a real struggle.

But I still enjoyed it and thankful for AEW still putting something out in these troubling times.

Cody/Havoc was a good opener, the new submission style that Havoc is working really fit Cody’s style of matches. I could’ve happily watched them go another five minutes.

Cody was great on commentary too, could definitely make a go of it after his in ring career winds down. Kenny was better than I expected too, particularly enjoyed his line about Vanguard turning the other cheek.

Glad Brodie Lee got himself new ring gear, whatever that was last week was just not gonna work, the new gear is more flattering to his body shape. The vignette he did was also good, the man CAN talk, I enjoyed the poke at Vince with the sneezing thing. His entrance music is also awesome, really gave me epic final boss vibes.

Dasha Gonzales giving it her absolute all cheering on Kenny from the locker room.

I liked that Darby now has a new finish, as cool as the coffin drop is, don’t do it all the time, save it. Lot of guys have to get everything in. You don’t have to.

Thank god Hager match was a squash. Glad to have Mox back, bit dumb to cut a promo saying that he goes wherever whenever when he flounced off last week after they wouldn’t let him in the arena. Am I watching WWE?

Kenny/Sammy was a strong TV main event. Sammy making out with the Brandi drawing was pure cringe and Brandi’s reaction was a real picture lol.

Chris Jericho cutting a promo on/with “Guard” was the exact kind of goofy shit that I needed in my life today. I will just repeat what I said last week about Matt Hardy, I really love seeing this other worldly character in an empty arena because an empty arena is as other worldly as you can get for wrestling so it fits the character better for me.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

Did they tape 2 days worth of shows?
Totally down for them taping shows honestly. I don't think being live adds much to this format with no fans and it would be nice to have a few guaranteed shows in the can in case Jacksonville goes on full lockdown. With so few people there, they should be able to keep any spoilers from leaking out.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Frankly they should have been taping shows last week while people could still travel. But yeah, tape matches while you can now so you can piece together shows in the coming weeks.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This episode of Dynamite was just alright, definitely hurt by not even having the wrestlers around the ring.

Jake Hager still sucks. The video package made me realize how even his clothesline looks like garbage.

Not sure about giving Brodie Lee Vince mannerisms. Seems kind of out of place.

Jericho cutting a promo about a drone was amazing and I am into the Matt hardy silliness.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Thought the show was an easy watch this week as always. Not a gold standard no crowd show like last week, the ringside wrestlers added a ton, but felt like they pivoted by running more promos and recaps than usual, which was smart.

Guess I'm in the minority but I don't mind Hager or his in-ring style for a MMA heel character. Not a long time wrestling fan so not picking up on shit he may be doing "wrong" but it works for me. Brodie Lee looked good in the ring, though I'm skeptical of DO becoming a full blown WWE parody/reference fest if that's what that promo was signaling. And Kenny vs. Sammy was legit, hats off to them for putting on such a compelling match without audience feedback.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Matt being in touch with the spirits of famous people is part of the character. He has a giraffe inhabited by the spirit of George Washington and trained with a kangaroo inhabited by the spirit of Smokin' Joe Frazier.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to know when they actually filmed the Matt Hardy teleportation thing, because that obviously wasn't live though it made it seem like it was. It would take too long do do it during commercial. Being that it was nighttime it seems like they did it the previous night.
They could have filmed that part last week after dynamite went off the air. Matt Hardy looked like he was in the same position he was when they ended.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hangman
(oooaaaaaah)
fighter of the Inner Circle
(oooaaaaaah)
champion of the tag teams
You're a master of the buckshot
and whiskey
for everyone

UpperCaseN

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, wrong thread. uhhh...

I have tickets to the Philly show and want a refund. They said "more details to come" and I emailed their basic customer support. No response yet

SapphiCine

Pricefield for Life
Oct 25, 2017
If Hardy can't really go at it in the ring, I want to see him being Darby's ringside assistance for Inner Circle matches. Another route to take is to have him sow the seeds of chaos within The Inner Circle via vignettes and promos.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, wrong thread. uhhh...

I have tickets to the Philly show and want a refund. They said "more details to come" and I emailed their basic customer support. No response yet
If it is like the other shows that have been moved, they have said that you would have to get the refund from the point of purchase. Now since not all the shows are through ticketmaster, you are at the mercy of Temple University in this case.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Meltzer mentioned on Observer radio that AEW taped “a lot” of stuff in Jacksonville, and it wasn’t just for Dynamite and next week’s Dark.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought Brodie's sister abigail into the discus clothesline was a debut thing. Then he did it in a match and it doesn't look right. Unless he can make it look a little smoother, it's just going to look wonky and too complicated for what amounts to a clothesline finisher.