A Year After... Infinite Warfare

Transistor

Crash() Void() Purge()
Oct 25, 2017
Cloudbank
I am one of those degenerates that only play CODs for the campaign.
This is my second favourite SP after MW2.

I agree that the villain is tragically underdeveloped. He just throws out some weird punchlines, makes him seem stupid.
The martians as a whole are actually very interesting, but the game never does anything worthwhile with it.

Beyond that, the missions are generally awesome, and the game has kickass visual design and music.
Shout out to campaign bros. I lost interest in CoD MP after MW2

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I am one of those degenerates that only play CODs for the campaign.
This is my second favourite SP after MW2.

I agree that the villain is tragically underdeveloped. He just throws out some weird punchlines, makes him seem stupid.
The martians as a whole are actually very interesting, but the game never does anything worthwhile with it.

Beyond that, the missions are generally awesome, and the game has kickass visual design and music.
Count thyself among family, brethren.

I'm right there with you!

I love me a bit of COD campaign and have no interest in the MP. COD campaigns are a lovely guilty pleasure I'll never get sick of. They make a really nice break from the protracted sojourns through other massive RPG and Open World games throughout the year. Their relatively short length combined with bombastic action, makes them a perfect seasoning to the more meaty games in a gamer's perpetual backlog.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I can’t see how you think the movement system is better than BO3, I don’t agree there at all.
It just feels way better in my opinion. When I go back to BO3 it really incredibly stiff and not nearly as responsive as IW is.

Infinite Warfare just feels like it has that extra bit of responsiveness that makes all the difference for more.

My hottest take of this generation is that the Infinite Warfare campaign is better than Titanfall 2's.

Kotaku just did a one year later article in which the words "By far the weakest aspect of Infinite Warfare was its campaign" are actually written unironically. Horrific.
Yeah that article was weird. Like the fact that they used it not getting Campaign DLC as a slight against it is just weird.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
Infinite Warfare was meh. IW was better technically than BO3, which felt like it was being held together by duct tape and glue by the end, and IW's loot box system was far better. But gameplay-wise I enjoyed BO3 far more.

IW didn't have the same polish or attention to presentation and feel that BO3, or the other big 2016 shooters (Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Titanfall 2) did. I think that's due to IW being clearly rushed by 3-4 months and the team being unable to give MP that extra love that SP and Zombies got. The beta was a disaster, and the launch period was managed very poorly since the team were working on leaderboards. The finished game was totally okay! But so many people jumped off IW's MP, e.g. nearly the whole CoD YouTube community, because the first impression was that bad.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia Beach
I agree about the single player being a high water mark for the series and introducing a lot of interesting features into the mix. I can't really speak to the multiplayer because I played a couple hours of it and it was so distasteful to me that I quit immediately which is rare since I've prestiged on basically every CoD since 4.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent campaign, zombies mode is pretty great, but the multiplayer really is such a sour spot.

I usually try to prestige at least once in every CoD MP I play but it was such a struggle to even reach 55 in IW. The game just feels off, maps are poor and feel at odds with the movement system. Granted, the DLC maps are better from what I've played but Blops 3 just plays better overall imo.

A solid entry all things considered, but it fumbled the MP which CoD lives and dies by.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Warfare was meh. IW was better technically than BO3, which felt like it was being held together by duct tape and glue by the end, and IW's loot box system was far better. But gameplay-wise I enjoyed BO3 far more.

IW didn't have the same polish or attention to presentation and feel that BO3, or the other big 2016 shooters (Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Titanfall 2) did. I think that's due to IW being clearly rushed by 3-4 months and the team being unable to give MP that extra love that SP and Zombies got. The beta was a disaster, and the launch period was managed very poorly since the team were working on leaderboards. The finished game was totally okay! But so many people jumped off IW's MP, e.g. nearly the whole CoD YouTube community, because the first impression was that bad.
What I do hope is that with WWII and the chance of Treyarch doing Modern is that if Infinity Ward is allowed to continue with IW and make IW2, that because of the previous two years that they won't have such a backlash and people give it a chance. Infinite Warfare was just unfortunate to have been in development while 2 more Sci-Fi CoD's came out before it. While IW would have probably still had problems, I have a feeling it would have been both more different and better recieved had not BO3 and AW preceded it.