A New Era - share your memories, win a Steam game!

Landford

Oct 25, 2017
My fondest memory in gaming was actually playing final fantasy viii as a kid. Where I live, games were insanly hard to come by for the Playstation. There were hundreds of weird japanese bootlegs but the more oficial games didnt get here until years later. I played a Demo for FFVIII that I bought from a used furniture shop(yeah it doesnt make sense) but was bummed out the game was only a demo. Some year later a friend of mine got the game for his PSX and didnt liked it (" there is no shooting!") and I borrowed it.

I was so confused because Rinoa wasnt in it from the Beginning (she was in the demo). But I was absolutely enthraled by that realistic and colorful world.

And god, the music. The game felt really infinite, since I was struggling with english and didnt have any guide. I think I reached Dollet with 100 hours of playtime.

I wanted Quistis to be my teacher so bad hahahah

It was so fucking bizarre seeing those magic things mixed with realistic settings. My father watched me playing during that Deiling City part and asked if it was Paris because of the Arch.

Best game for me.

Last edited:

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Back in 1997, my family were pretty damn poor. My father (being the complete useless twat that he is) was "between jobs", and my mam earned a pittance as a carer.

One random November day, me and my brother got home from school. My parents looked angry, and there was a black bin bag in the middle of the living room.

"Right, we got sick and tired of telling you to tidy your room, so we've put everything in a bin bag. Go through it and see what you want to keep."

Opened the bag...

And there was a brand new Nintendo 64, with Super Mario 64.

To this day I have no idea how they managed to afford it, and they had no reason to buy it. It wasn't christmas, and it was nobody's birthday. They just, one day, decided to get a Nintendo 64.

It would have been better if I'd gotten to play the thing, but they binged Super Mario 64 for the first 2 weeks and my brother and I hardly got a look in.

It was the first console I had since the Master System, and it got me into gaming in a huge way. I still get tears of joy when I remember that day.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
When i got my first Playstation, i was amazed. I had before an Amstrad CPC, a 8bit computer, so the impact on me was strong. I discovered what cinematics were, and graphics in video games were bound to be every day closer to cinema. First game on it was Ninja:Shadow of Darkness, a game i ended beating but i would not have patience to play today.Back then, i found the game impressive. The 3d, the voices, the cutscenes. After that, I got Diablo, a game that had left a strong impression on me wheni had seen a friend play it on his pc. Console version had its problems(long loading times) but atmopshere impressed me and i enjoyed building my wizard. The opening cutscene of Diablo remains one of my favourite cinematics. Playstation was a great transition to me, i discovered games wherei could save and keep my progress. People also started to accept video games with a more open mind than before.

Evil_P

Oct 27, 2017
South Africa - December 2004. I was a 16 year old kid and bought Half-Life 2 with some early Christmas money. I finally I opened that box at 00:00 on the 25th of December. I can't remember ever being as excited for anything in my whole life. I had been waiting for this moment for so many months.

It was then that I was introduced to this horrible obstacle called "Steam" who's only purpose seamed to be to prevent me from playing the game. Back then I was stuck with 56k Dial-up connection. It was the first time I was required to update a game at launch before being able to play. The steam client errors and download restarts developed a frustration that was so palpable that I could reach out and touch it. Little did I know that this struggle was the necessary growing pains for a new way of gaming. The redefining of our entire pastime. But when that day finally came when the game client opened for the first time, into a masterpiece so well crafted, and a narrative so deep that I would lose myself for days.. I felt like gaming changed forever on that day. For me and for the rest of the world.

...and so it remained for years. And then The Witcher 3 happened :)

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't have lots of vivid nostalgic memories unfortunately.
However, there's one moment of my life that strikes me of one of the most nostalgic. It was around the N64's release; I was 8 (almost 9). I remember being with my dad playing in the leaves outside of our house with my brother on a cloudy day. We were promised that he'll rent a Nintendo 64 to try Super Mario 64. I don't remember exactly if he was able to get one that exact day but I do remember that we were just in awe at Mario 64 and having a great time with it although we had difficulties with the controls (remember, for us, it was teh first time playing a 3D game). So much memories playing Super Mario 64 on rainy fall days at the end of 1996. The N64 days will be the best of my life, tbh.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Oh wow, I'm not really sure, because I have so many cherished memories with games, so I'll simply post the one that came first to my mind:
We often rented games when I was a kid. I was 8 and my dad surprised me and my best friend back then with "a new racing game, that's supposed to be a huge hit". It's important to note that I was a huuuuge car nut pretty much since I can remember. I could pronounce most brands and recognize models as soon as I could speak. So, the intro started, the music got more intense and the Gran Turismo logo appeared. My friend and I were blown away by the combination of graphics, music and the video cut. Since then I was a big fan.

This seems basic for most, but it's extremely special to me. Even while being such a car and racing enthusiast, I'll never be able to drive a real car, because of my disability. So being able to select from such a huge amount of brands and models was incredible. It was good to know I can live out my passion via a video game, even at that age.

It holds on to this day, although I of course don't just play GT. I try every racing game I can (plus all the other stuff I play hehe)!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, Yoshichan! Glad to see you've made your way over here and can breathe now, lol.

I have plenty of warm gaming memories, but one that felt particularly good from last gen was when I played Journey. I actually wrote about it five years ago right after I played it on a Destructoid CBlog, but I will summarize it again here because hopefully my writing has improved since then, lol.

Back in 2012, I was doing a lot more studying and a lot less playing games, so I was at a point where I was not very good at them. So one night at around 1AM local time I decided to put down a twitch platformer and instead play Journey, which had been sitting in my backlog for a while. Journey is a very simple and beautiful game. There are only two buttons, and the objective is immediately obvious when you start it up – there's a big, shining mountain in the distance, and you have to walk to it. Along the way there are various puzzles and things. You cannot lose. But I'm stupid, and so very quickly I got stuck!

I was enjoying the beautiful ambiance and soundtrack but slowly getting disheartened by walking in circles when something unexpected happened – another player popped up. I had heard this could happen in your game but had forgotten about it until then. Said player immediately recognized that I was stuck and, using the 'call out' button to direct my attention, proceeded to lead me through the puzzle.

For the remaining hour of my playthrough this lovely stranger held my hand and slowly led me through the rest of what the game had to offer. I did not mind this circumstance in the least, because I wanted to experience the whole of this beautiful game and probably would not have been able to do so by myself. And it was wonderful that there was this kindhearted person I didn't know – a real person, and not some 'Super Guide' bot – who obviously played through the game already and come back just to help me do the same. They could have easily trolled me and led me in circles, but they didn't; the one time I thought they were lost, they were actually leading me to an incredibly out-of-the-way trophy.

At the end of the game, which I won't spoil, there is an area which triggers the ending cutscene and finishes the game if you step into it. Right before this area my friendly guide stopped and began mashing the 'call out' button repeatedly. I was confused, but at any rate got the message they wanted me to come over to them, and did so. And then, with my camera facing the ground, I watched as my traveling companion traced the shape of a heart in the sand.

I was completely overwhelmed by this gesture. I hastily tried to draw 'Thank you' next to it, but it didn't come out well enough; as it turns out, it didn't matter anyway, because the person I played with was Japanese. Walking into the ending after that I felt a powerful swell of emotion, and I realized it wasn't just because of the wonderfully-crafted game itself, but because of the experience this person had added on top of it for me. It was an incredible experience, one others may sadly never get to have if they play after the servers shut down or someone just doesn't pop up for them. Journey was, really, less of a game, and more of a 'journey'. I'll never forget it.

Dennis8K

Oct 25, 2017
Crysis#Forever

Booting up Crysis for the first time, playing it on Delta difficulty and just being transported to the most immersive gameplay experience imaginable.

All culminating in the insane excitement of the two vast and emergent levels Assault and Onslaught. Still to this day the two greatest levels of any shooter game ever made.

But most importantly of course, the absolutely mind-blowing graphics.

MondoWray

Oct 27, 2017
England
Christmas 1991...opening up the wrapping paper to find an imported Super Famicom. Spent the day playing Area 88, Super Mario World and F-Zero. I can still vividly see the emergence of that very alien Super Famicom box.

TRCK

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot but this one is the most memorable because it's the first time I experience a video game.

It was back in 1995, I was 5 years old back then. My dad bought a new PC with a Windows 95 operating system. That alone already mesmerized me since it's my first experience with PC as well. One night he asked me to stay up with him and sit beside him while he operates the PC. Suddenly the screen went black then DOOM showed up. He started playing and amazed how he kills these people along with that monster that shoots fireballs. He let me try but I was scared. Instead I let him play it since I enjoy watching anyways. From there on, my eyes were opened up to video games. After like a week or two, he bought me Red Alert which I got addicted to as kid. The rest was history.

My dad is diabetic, got completely blind because of it around 2001. Now, he has ALS and could barely move at talk. It's depressing to think what happened to him and I don't know how I can cheer him up since he's blind, can no longer eat (he's fed through a tube), can no longer move, and can no longer talk. It feels like yesterday he asked me to stay up late so I could watch him play Doom. I wish he could also sit with me and watch me play..

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
I shall share the main gaming story I always tell people, one that I’m not necessarily proud of. :P

~20 years ago in 1996 my family took us on a trip to the United States (I’m from Australia). As part of the trip we visited Florida and the usual places Disneyland and the Epcot Centre. And you would think that Disneyland would be the highlight of my trip!

Instead the one main thing that I remember is that when visiting the Epcot Centre they happened to have a Nintendo 64 demo station setup. OMG this system wasn’t even available in Australia and I’d only ever read about it and Mario 64 in magazines!

So I waited patiently in line for my turn, my parents ever asking if we could go and look at other things as we could play video games at home. Finally it was my turn and wow was I in awe of the game, I’m fairly certain my mouth was hanging open from the moment I took over Mario in the Castle courtyard.

I could not stop playing the game! 30 minutes passed and my parents kept asking me to stop so we could look at other sights. After a bit longer they finally gave up asking me and said they would leave me to it and to come find them when I was done.

4 hours later they came back and I was still playing the game. I don’t recall exactly but I’m fairly certain I disappointed about 20 kids who wanted to play the game.... (I’m so sorry everyone!) Needless to say at that point my parents gave me a piece of their mind and dragged me away from the station.

I demanded that we find the demo station rep so we could ask him how you buy the 64 while we were in the US. We eventually found him! He told me that it wasn’t a good choice because the power wasn’t compatible with Australian power points, and the games were region locked. I didn’t care! I told my parents we needed it anyway and I would figure out a way around all of the limitations. Sadly my very logical parents agreed with the Nintendo rep and I was unable to secure the precious.

And that was it. Until 6+ odd months later when the system finally launched in Australia and I got it and Mario for my birthday. Damn if that wasn’t one of the happiest days of my life! XD

Again I apologise to all of the kids that I blocked that day from playing they demo. But yooooo that Mario game and the 64 antoniobanderas.gif.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Demon's Souls was the best blind purchase I ever did.
It put in perspective a lot of what I have wanted in games ever since.

I hadn't heard of it before near launch in Japan (February 5th, 2009) but a small description made it sound like an interesting atmospheric rpg and I imported it on a whim.
Note: I had no idea about its unique online systems or game mechanics that has come to define its own sub-genre today and receive a huge following. Also the game happened to receive a low review score in Famitsu before my copy arrived so expectations were somewhat tempered.

I received and completed this highly challenging and strange import game in one week early that March with little to no guide or forum talk to help us early importers. It absolutely blew my gamer mind.
Here's me "hoping to inform the uninformed. I would be ultra-depressed if I learned about this game years from now" on another forum. And here's the write-up that I made:
I didn't know a lot about this game before January of this year. I had heard the name in passing but I hadn't seen it nor did I know what genre it was set in. Thankfully this forum educated me. Today the number of people playing MMO-rpg's probably outnumber the amount of people enjoying singleplayer rpg's. I enjoy both categories but the market today is very much black and white in this regard, there aren't many games that lay somewhere in between. I think Demon's Souls demonstrate the potential here greatly, actually I would say it hits a home run. A relatively hardcore rpg on the PS3 by From Software. Upon bootup, you are connected to the online server (you can only play totally offline if you force it). Let me lay it out for you.

Noteworthy features:

Multiverse gaming. As you are exploring, you will notice phantoms in your proximity from time to time. These are other human players in their alternate dimension. These are figments that only last for a few seconds before they disappear into the air again.

The game divides between soul form and being alive. If you die in this game, all enemies respawn in the level and you are brought back to the start and you are now in soul form which means you can only have 50-75% of max health. This may sound harsh but it's actually a very well balanced system that makes adventuring interesting. There's three ways to resurrect to full potential again: Co-op quest completions, PVP victories and the use of rare (and expensive) items.

• In soul form you gain the option to invade another players dimension. You can only invade living players. When you arrive, they will receive a huge message that says 'Black Phantom 'username' has entered'. You are now both in PVP mode. Receiving that message as a living player is ultra-frightening since the above mentioned penalty for dying applies. What's also cool is that the black phantom player can walk among all the monsters and enemy creatures throughout the level as you're on their side. If you manage to kill the living player you regain your soul and resurrect to full strength.

Co-op is also an option in this game. If you're in soul form you may place a marker on the ground that you're available. Living players will then in their dimension see these and they may call upon these blue phantom players to aid them. If you manage to kill a boss, the blue phantom player resurrects and returns to their dimension. What's cool about co-op markers on the ground is that they're always relative since they are location based. You will often find co-op markers in areas leading up to a boss for example.

Location based Messages. This is another really interesting feature in this game. You may at all times choose to post a message on the ground, anywhere. These messages will show up in other players dimensions. 'Watch out, enemy surprise attack ahead', 'look up for clue', 'secret road ahead'..etc. Messages can be rated, also beware of false ones... It's like you painted a forum over the game. The thing is, you can only combine keywords so while they are very useful (it's a hard game), they don't describe the situation to the nth degree, you're still on your own. Like co-op marks, the messages are location based so they're always relevant. It's a really elegant system.

Death replays. Whenever someone dies, they will leave a pool of blood (or soul aura) a few steps before it happened. If you click on this you may see how this player met his/her demise. You will see a transparent figment of that player for example walking along an edge and then fall off. You may also reveal enemy surprise attacks by looking at these sequences.

World events. The game is divided into five different worlds with different themes (torture prison to coastal island to plague caverns..etc). Your black phantom activity (PVP), Co-op questing and general adventuring determine if the different worlds are aligned to white aura or black. Different events might come from this. There are certain wandering a.i characters in the game and determining on the world aura you may join them in raids or maybe face them in combat (they are super hard).

There's so much more to talk about in regards to this game. 10 classes to choose from. Item system is 95% forging vs 5% looting. Integrated leaderboards in the game in the form of player statues. The almost complete lack of music and focus on ambient sounds. The combat is really well done and fighting is very satisfying. The atmosphere is top notch and the game is really eerie for a rpg, there are full-on horror sections actually. The art is very consistent and realistic. The game is totally open ended and takes 50-100 hours to finish (you can skip two thirds of the content if you wish) but you can continue each time with a newgame+ option (it becomes harder and harder, you keep equipment and character). The voice acting is surprisingly good.

Demon's Souls is the best 'western' rpg I've played in years and it was developed in Japan.
Hopefully some western publisher will bring it over but right now you can import the Asian version (not Japanese) which offers a 100% English option.
Demon's Souls not only demonstrates how you can make a rpg in the grey area between mmo and singleplayer, it's a total home run on this concept. Can't recommend it enough.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
So when I was growing up I played Ultima 7 a long time later from its release but it basically got me hooked on the concept of it and its world and from that I had learned about Ultima Online.
I had to basically beg and convince my Dad (My mother pretty much said I was on my own here) that this game would be amazing it was online! You could play it with other people! Uh... It has a monthly fee! After I said that he basically laughed because the entire concept of a monthly fee for a game after buying it was ridiculous. I didn't give up though, I literally made a list of pros and cons (I didn't have power point in 1999) for why I think it would be a good game/investment of money entertainment wise. Which my Dad thought was hilarious.
So he ended up agreeing to buy the game and giving it a try but there was no GUARANTEE that we continue with it because I would have to earn the monthly fee money somehow. I was over the moon! It was basically everything I had thought it would be and more, I had so many adventures and made so many friends (Some that I still have even now).
The funny thing that came from all of it is that as much as my Dad initially hated it he played it for a little bit and then ended up loving it. He actually ended up playing the game just as much if not more than more after being so stubborn about even giving the game a try. At one point in time they split the world in half to let their be more housing for players and I got put on "Get Dad a house duty"

It all basically came down to in the end whenever I wasn't playing I was sitting at my Dads desk watching him play on his Characters or My dad was sitting watching me play if he wasn't busy with something else if I was playing at the time.
So I'm lucky that I can think about that and have good memories about gaming and my family.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
My most cherished gaming memory to date was playing Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 when i was a kid for the first time. Back then i had a really serious medical complication and i was stuck in a hospital for 3 months i think. Then one aunt bought me a Nintendo 64 with these two games, they made one of the worst momentsof my life into something bearable. I will never forget it.

MrFortyFive

Oct 27, 2017
So many to pick from. I guess if I had to go with one, I'll pick my first experience with Mario 64. I was only 8, and this must have been before the console officially launched in North America. I had never seen one before, and the big video game vendor at the flea market must have imported one from Japan. There was a small group gathered around someone playing Mario 64, but I'll always remember my first look at it. The movement was so smooth. I had never seen 3D graphics like that. With the way you could control Mario, the world seemed infinite. So many possibilities to explore. No game has ever quite elicited the same feeling since, but each of the new 3D Mario games gets close. Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World, and now Odyssey. The first few minutes of those games always bring me back to that flea market.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Twitch Plays Pokemon is one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever witnessed. Thousands of people struggling for control over an old Game Boy RPG? Absolutely brilliant.
I didn't really participate in the action, but I kept a close eye on the streams and the community. The original TPP OP was hilarious, and the strategy and fanart that people contributed to the subreddit were amazing. That lore. No stream that came after TPP Red could ever live up to the original experience.
The TPP thread was what pushed me to register for a forum account; the thread was archived which meant only members could reread it. It's been a fascinating journey ever since.

Kamon

Oct 25, 2017
My fondest gaming memory has to be the time my friend asked me to lend him my starter so he could beat a gym, as he couldn't beat it with his own Pokemon. I did, of course, after making him promise to give it back to me afterward. But I was several gyms further than him in the game - and there was something we had both forgotten. Pokemon you receive in trade won't always obey you if you don't have enough badges! And so, the two of us watched as my Pokemon refused to listen to our commands, fell asleep... used a move other than what we were telling it to? At that point it became a cheering match of, "Come on!! Use a move!! Any move!! Noooooooo!" and we slowly but surely beat that Gym. It was so nerve-wracking! I really wanted my friend to beat the Gym, so I was really happy when we finally downed the last Pokemon.

And he gave me my starter back, so yeah, it's a pretty good memory.

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, what a great topic.

Some of my favorite memories are from the N64 era. I didn’t have any friends for a long time in highschool so I played that a ton. I have so many specific moments that I can recall and that are very special to me.

Starting from the day I got my N64 for Christmas with Super Mario 64 which instantly became my favorite game of all time and it would stay that way for a couple of decades at least. I remember not even spending any time with my family because I was mesmerized by the game. I played that for 6 months trying to get all 120 stars. The last one took me forever to find. It was the one where you jump thru a window and slide for it.

I remember going to the store to get Shadows of the Empire before New Years ‘96 and having one of the worst retail experiences ever. The employee was a racist jerk who had the audacity to ask my mom if she could afford the game. I will never forget that. Besides that bad experience, I have fond memories of that game. I wasn’t even a fan of Star Wars! Lol

I remember the Sunday my mom came home with Mario Kart 64 and proceeded to play that game for years on end alone. I remember renting every game that came out for a couple of months. It wasn’t hard, there were so few games released.

I remember getting Blast Corps for my birthday but not knowing what it was so I tried to return it to Target to no avail. I tried multiple times but man, am I grateful they didn’t take it back. I played that game for a few months and finished every little bit of it and loved it. Yep, I went to space in the one!

I remember Star Fox 64 during one summer and Banjo Kazooie all of the next summer. I had a “friend” (wasn’t a very good person) that would call me to hangout but I just sat at home and over indulged in BK.

Staying up all night playing Top Gear Rally. Being scared in Turok, even with all that fog!

Playing my first FPS in GoldenEye and being blown away. Playing Mystical Ninja and being beyond confused at the very Japanese humor.

I was even excited for and finished Mission Impossible!

Playing F-Zero X when I started my senior year of highschool. Thanksgiving that year was the most memorable because of the magnificent Ocarina of Time. I have very specific memories of that game.

Rogue Squadron and Turok 2 that Christmas and picking up Smash Bros on a whim because I dug the box art. Visiting home from college and playing thru Paper Mario in a few days. I could go on but, who’s gonna read it all!

Thanks for the great topic bringing up some fond memories. I still have all of the games with the original boxes in mint condidtion.

I can still remember every N64 game I got and in the order they were purchased to this day even about 20 years later.

I hope this wasn’t too long. : )

OP
OP
Yoshichan

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just woke up and saw all these stories that I can read after I've studied today! Wow; thanks so much for the overwhelming response, guys! <3

OP
OP
Yoshichan

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Twitch Plays Pokemon is one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever witnessed. Thousands of people struggling for control over an old Game Boy RPG? Absolutely brilliant.
I didn't really participate in the action, but I kept a close eye on the streams and the community. The original TPP OP was hilarious, and the strategy and fanart that people contributed to the subreddit were amazing. That lore. No stream that came after TPP Red could ever live up to the original experience.
The TPP thread was what pushed me to register for a forum account; the thread was archived which meant only members could reread it. It's been a fascinating journey ever since.
Wow, I remember how ridiculous Twitch Plays Pokémon was... craziness ensued, can't believe they actually did beat it. Same could be said about ANY Twitch Plays X, really :lol

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite memories was playing call of duty modern warfare 2 with some friends on the PS3. We grew up together but were living in different parts of the country and stayed in contact occasionally. We all got the game and ended up spending weeks playing that. None of us were particularly any good but just spending hours chatting and playing the game and just having so much fun was something I’ll cherish for a long time.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it was back in the day when tf2 gaf got together. Those nights I always looked forward to because I had nothing in my life really and that I've the one thing I could always look forward to. It helped me build my skills in the game and helped me with actually communicating with people. The nights of major updates, to the sound board, to the stabbing Javaman in the back ass a spy. I sadly fell off of it once I got an actual job and got tired at night. But those times were probably my favorite moments with video games.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
My moment came when i was playing World of Warcraft for the very very first time.

I made Human Warlock at that time it just sounded cool, i knew warcraft because i played the previous games but this game took me by surprise. So i booted up the game for the first time and you are being greated by the dark portal with the original music theme.

Login in with a fresh new account i went to make a human warlock, the most obvious choice for me, anyway i went playing i was emersed by the atmosphere..the music, the colors the whole aesthetic of the game.
Going to goldshire was a unique expirience like no other game ever did, when setting foot in Stormwind i never thought that a game like this could be this huge without loading screens even!

Going to Westfall and later all other lands the whole leveling was something, later on doing dungeons and raids it felt immense on how big it all was.
Other games have captured as well but non other like WoW to this day.

Bjoern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Dear girls and boys,
please take a seat
as Bjoern will now tell you
a story so deep,
so twistfully evil.
Only rhymes will suffice
when telling this story
about this special prize.

'Twas christmas, the year
of nineteen-ninetyeight,
Li'l Bjoern was hyped up
'bout a game he had wait-
ed for months for it
to finally come out.
Of this game he knew all
there's to know about.

'What game?' you might ask
and the answer to thine
question I'll give you:
Ocarina of Time.
The new game the whole world
was raving about.
He wanted it so much,
it almost made him shout.

Come Christmas Eve, all
of the presents right under
the tree were laid out and
it made Li'l Bjoern wonder:
"Could one of these presents
maybe be the one?"
And just like that the time
to unwrap has begun.

One after another.
Some Socks. Some shirts.
None of them Zelda.
Li'l Bjoern thought "Who cares
about socks and those shirts?
I just want that game!"
With all his might he
tried not to cry in shame.

His parents asked him:
"So? Did you like
it?" "Oh...yeah..." Bjoern answered.
His father roared "PSYCHE!".
Pulled out one more present
to be unwrapped by Bjoern.
You could see in his eyes
the fire that burned.
He unwrapped it quickly,
no need to be precise.
And beneath that paper
was his special prize.

The Legend of Zelda
Ocarina of Time
The end of the story.
I'm all out of rhyme.

Last edited:

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
I'll share this, not my best gaming moment but my weirdest:

I've played some survival horror games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dead Space, but none of them made me as scared as Pikmin.

On the spirit of Halloween, here's my story:

I was 16 and I was about to finish my first Pikmin game. So, around 2AM of a random saturday, there was I, alone, really excited. I chose 100 pikmins, around 33 of each color and proceeded through the stage. Everything was going surprisingly ok until, suddenly, this giant enormous fat drooling green/gray Bulborb felt through the sky landing exactly on top of 98 of all my pikmin. Leaving me practically alone. I was so terrified about the thought that 98 out of 100 of my companions had just been decimated right by my side, I started shaking, sweating, my heart was pounding out of my chest, I couldn't breath. I turned off the game and only touched it again some weeks after the event, making sure there was some daylight outside.

Now I'm 24 and Pikmin is my favorite Nintendo franchise, and I still only play it during the day :)

Last edited:

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
When I was young, my cousin bought a NES with Super Mario Bros. Each afternoon she was used to invited me and my brother to play together, but I was just a child and in my turns of gaming I was just able to reach the first "enemy".
Then, I tried to extend my playing time basically jumping here and there, without going too much forward, but my cousin and my brother wasn't happy about this "cheat".

However they was never able to finish Super Mario Bros, and so they decided to only play Duck Hunt.

Years later I had my revenge, when I finished all the games they never did :D

Prime

Oct 27, 2017
The year was 1997, me and my best friend were bored, decided to hop on our mighty bikes and go to the video store to rent a game. We browsed for a while and found this one game of a hunky man holding a large gun. The back of the box read "You're dead scared" and had a couple of pictures of zombies on them. That game was Resident Evil. We picked our character and watched in suspense as the fmv intro unfolded. And than it happened. I fell in love... with Jill Valentine. Those heavenly blue eyes... That sad look on her face... The way she handled her handgun... The excitement was way different now! We had picked Chris Redfield, but that dude sucked! He didn't even have a gun! So we restarted the game and this time chose the woman who had stolen my heart.

I followed Jill every step throughout the adventure. I felt joy with every victory, with every puzzle solved, sighed in relief when she did not become a sandwich. Yet every time the "You have died"-screen popped unto the TV screen. I felt like I had let her down, that I was a disappointement to the woman who I loved so deeply. I carried her deeper into the mansion, I had to overcome my very own phobia for aquatic animals, but she had to live. We were coming closer to the end. Barry died, but I did not care. I felt that in secret he wanted MY JILL all to himself! No, we would escape the mansion alone! And start our lives together on a tropical island, far away from all the danger. She sat there, alone in the helicopter, she took off her cap and reveiled her long golden blond hair... She was so beautiful and I was so happy we managed to escape together.

I had never felt more amazing after finishing a game! My best friend looked at me and said "Wow, Jill was actually kind of hot". He was never heard of again...

Chucker

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Fall, 1989. A local video game tournament in an American Legion hall. I'll let the article do the talking.

As I'm sure many of you know, landing on the carrier is NO JOKE. When the NES Classic came back out I tried it again and crashed and burned, but that's not the point of the story.
My parents weren't crazy about me getting a NES and made me save up as a 7 year old to be able to afford it, which I did (I didn't give them guff if I'd wake up in the middle of the night and find them playing Super Mario Bros. or Anticipation when they had friend's over either lol). I came in 2nd, got a years worth of video game rentals for free, as many as I wanted, one out at a time so I really got a chance to play a lot of games that I never would have, especially in an age where all we really had to go off of was Nintendo Power and Box Art.

Flash forward to 6th grade. I'm riding the bus home and a new kid is on it. Nobody is talking to him and he has his head buried in a SEGA Visions magazine. I make small talk and we look through the magazine together. I go to his place and sure enough next to his baseball trophies there is the 1st place Stallings Video Game Tournament trophy. My new friend was the guy I lost a brand new gameboy to! I don't say anything about it but say that I should probably get home, my parents are probably wondering where I am. He comes over and sees my 2nd place trophy and basically we are
https://media.giphy.com/media/pHb82xtBPfqEg/giphy.gif

for life.

He moved away and got married/had kids. I got married have kids, but we all still get together every once in a while so that we can watch the next generation continue the friendship.

Last edited:

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
I was playing a Gear VR game on the toilet and accidentally dropped my controller in it; After I had peed...

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Was in college in the 90's. Quake deathmatch or the original C&C and Warcraft 1 where we would lug our PCs to a friends'place to play it all connected via LAN while eating pizza. Playing single player games like LucasArt adventures w/ 3-4 other people watching you and giving pointers was great fun too. Nothing can beat having people to play with or against in the same room. Good times.

OP
OP
Yoshichan

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Was in college in the 90's. Quake deathmatch or the original C&C and Warcraft 1 where we would lug our PCs to a friends'place to play it all connected via LAN while eating pizza. Playing single player games like LucasArt adventures w/ 3-4 other people watching you and giving pointers was great fun too. Nothing can beat having people to play with or against in the same room. Good times.
We needed more FPS-stories in this thread! ♥

OP
OP
Yoshichan

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One of my favorite memories was playing call of duty modern warfare 2 with some friends on the PS3. We grew up together but were living in different parts of the country and stayed in contact occasionally. We all got the game and ended up spending weeks playing that. None of us were particularly any good but just spending hours chatting and playing the game and just having so much fun was something I’ll cherish for a long time.
I think Modern Warfare 2 was the "return" of the FPS on console, honestly. It brought so many good memories to the table...

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
This summer I got some good memories which reminded me from the past. When I was kid, me and my siblings would play first Super Mario Bros. for NES and always had arguments who would play next and bragged when one got further than others. And my parents would watch from far. Now over 20 years to the future, when our family gathered together, I was the one watching with my siblings how my two nephews and two nieces would sit at the floor of living room, take turns and play that very same game while we who watched would give some occasional hints and joked about our own playing habits. Our parents played few times too.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
At six-years-old I became best friends with a boy and girl in my class. Their names are Eric and Sarah. The three of us did everything together growing up, and nearly every weekend we'd stay the night at one another's homes. In fact those two friends are what helped me stay active in gaming as my family was much poorer and I only had an NES while they each got an SNES or a Genesis. We played games together pretty much anytime we were together going into Nintendo 64 and PC games as well. Despite getting to the point of puberty our parents allowed this to continue with the mixed gender since we had always been friends so what's the harm? Well, as we experienced our individual changes one difference I realized was that I began to like Sarah more than a best friend. This is now seven years later and after all that time how do you tell your best friend that you have feelings for her?

Warcraft II, of course.

The game was our main PC obsession at this time and we made maps constantly to then challenge the other friends. When you're barely a teenager you obviously would never just tell someone you like them. But passing notes wasn't really my style so instead I got cracking on an all new map. I'll admit now that the map was of lower quality but that wasn't the goal. I covered the entire map in water, gave each side of flotilla of ships, and then using land I spelled out "I 'heart' Sarah" in the center of the map. It was a masterpiece.

It was also a little bit of a failure. This was due to my choice of calling the map "scary.pud" because it was frightening to me sharing my feelings. She instead took it as a joke so instead things just got awkward.

In the end a week later I just told her (in a slightly roundabout, but vocally with words) that I liked her and we ended up dating off-and-on for seven years. Video games were still a major part of our friendship (with the last time I ever stayed overnight with her being when I brought her SSX3 for her birthday and snuck into her dorm room to spend her birthday with her). But even with well over a hundred hours played in Warcraft II I'll only be able to associate it to my best friend that became my occasional girlfriend through my teen years.

Jacobson

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in high school, my friend told me about this cool Warcraft 3 custom map, where you control a hero and go against other players. I didn't pay much attention that time. Fast forward 1 year later the custom map blew up, big time. Literally everyone was playing it (not in the US, gamers aren't necessarily considered nerds here). So one day after class I went with my classmates and I tried it out. I was instantly hooked, and to this day Dota (and Dota 2) is my most played game ever, nothing comes close. It literally changed my life.

Luthor

Oct 25, 2017
US, California
Saw a topic by Yoshi and simply had to come in and see what he was up to. Not surprised at all with the good will and interesting idea, well done!

When I think about one of, if not my most interesting gaming memory, it was many, many years ago. At the time I was living with a girlfriend and her friend, along with her boyfriend. Two couples under one roof... what fun!

At the time The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was just recently released in Japan and here in the US it was still a ways off. And this guy had to get a copy - ASAP.

Now thinking back to this time, the internet didn't even exist but luckily there was an import store down in Southern California (I live up in Nor Cal). I don't remember why I knew about them but I had talked with them in the past and they were the first place I called to find out about getting a copy of the game. I called the guy I knew and he had a copy, which was his personal copy as they didn't have any more - all sold out. I offered to buy it which he was happy to sell to me but this was on a Friday and wouldn't get to me until the middle of the next week... that wouldn't cut it.

I talked my gf into hopping into my car and literally driving from Sacramento down to Los Angeles (385 miles / 620 km) late Friday night, stayed with my cousin who lived in Landcaster (on the way) and then met up with this guy to buy the game Saturday afternoon. We then returned to my cousins, where I played a game in Japanese (which I couldn't read) and enjoyed it unlike anything since. Seriously, for a game I couldn't even understand, I was still blown away by it because Zelda is Zelda... we all know what to do deep down.

Oh and did I mention on the way there I blew a tire and my gf fixed it? I'm embarrassed to admit it but for whatever reason, she did it. And they say you're only supposed to ride on those spare tires like no faster than 50mph (80kph) and only to a repair shop - yeah we did like 70+ for 120ish miles (193km). Didn't have one single issue.

So yeah, it was an interesting weekend and I eventually bought the English version of the game and enjoyed it all over again.

--

Thanks for reading Yoshi (and anyone else), I just wanted to write this out as I don't think about it often anymore but this topic reminded me of it and just wanted to share. I love your offer for the games but I'd like to remove myself from consideration, just wanted to participate in sharing a fun story. Keep being cool man!

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an unfortunate story:

When I was a little girl I LOVED Pokemon. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and watched the anime all the time, as it was airing at the time.

My older brother got a Gameboy and Pokemon Blue for Christmas one year, and I always wanted to watch him play it. Naturally, he was annoyed with my nagging.

One day, out of frustration he told me that if I could guess which Pokemon was his in a battle, then I could play it for a while. I managed to guess right, and he followed through on his word.

He was on the island with the seventh gym, which has that old lab place with all the Grimers in it.

From watching the anime, I thought that Ditto was the coolest, rarest Pokemon in the world. When I encountered a Grimers, I freaked out because I thought it was a Ditto.

I used a ton of ultra balls and then eventually his Master Ball on a random Grimer. I was so proud of myself and ecstatic that I caught such a cool Pokemon and saved the game before running off to show my brother. He was furious!

I also remember playing the beginnings of the Pokemon games a lot, since we would borrow each other's Pokemon games and just play them on a new save without saving over the original file until our Gameboys ran out of batteries.

Fun times!

OP
OP
Yoshichan

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Saw a topic by Yoshi and simply had to come in and see what he was up to. Not surprised at all with the good will and interesting idea, well done!
Oh man, you're too kind to me! Thanks for being there for me during the hysteria pre-Era :lol
Thanks for reading Yoshi (and anyone else), I just wanted to write this out as I don't think about it often anymore but this topic reminded me of it and just wanted to share. I love your offer for the games but I'd like to remove myself from consideration, just wanted to participate in sharing a fun story. Keep being cool man!
I'm currently at work so I can't read your story read but I truly appreciate the fact that you took your time to write this! I've noted that you don't want to be in the competition for a game! You're a great poster and an even better person <3

Luthor

Oct 25, 2017
US, California
Oh man, you're too kind to me! Thanks for being there for me during the hysteria pre-Era :lol
Not gonna lie, that was a lot of fun (for me) just watching the discord go crazy over various stuff. I know you had a lot going on with class and everything, glad that's all over with and we're all finally settling in here.

How did the exam go, get your results yet? And did you finally get a nice solid 12 hours of much needed sleep? ;)

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the video game memory I always come back to often is Shadow of the Colossus and where that was in my earlier years playing video games. I started as a Nintendo kid, then moved to Playstation, and finally settled on going back and forth between the two. But my idea of what video games were or could be was pretty much narrowed by what my immediate interests were at the time. Didn't pay much mind to stories, and if I did it was only temporary. Then came along SotC, where my first inclination to play it was because the trailers showed a dude with a sword, riding a horse across a landscape, and was like "yeah this reminds me enough of Zelda." That's how shallow my justification was, that the games I liked were based on stuff I played earlier and embracing the "gameyness" of them. I got Shadow, started playing, was engaged in the act of climbing around and slaying Colossi, never even paying much mind to what the game was building up and trying to subtly tell me.

By the time the ending came around, not only was I treated to a video game story in which the goal you were working towards wasn't actually right, it pulled a one two punch of using mechanics to hammer home what the game was trying to say. Becoming a colossus made me realize how much it fucking sucked and that this is what those behemoths felt as I was murdering them. Getting pegged with spears and swords and barely able to move from my spot with the reactionary speed I was used to. Then the final moment of gameplay happened where you are being pulled into a blinding void and all you can do is hold on until your stamina ran out. I latched onto it instinctively, thinking there had to be some payoff for holding on. Yet there wasn't. I held on until the stamina trained, fell into the pool, and came back out as a tiny horned baby. I realized what happened in those minutes and had been made painfully aware of the games' earlier events in a much different context. No game I played had done that prior, given my immediate wheelhouse were Nintendo first party and any other game that remotely resembled elements of those first party titles like Mario or Zelda. They were traditional for lack of a better term, and in that moment of watching the credits for Shadow of the Colossus, I felt I had witnessed an actual example of video games as art. Not just a game, a work of art.

Like, games similar to that aren't even still my forte, I'm still largely a mechanics oriented kind of player. But experiencing that game for the first time at 12 years old, not knowing the pedigree behind Team Ico or what the game was ultimately building up to is still largely unparalleled compared to other games since. The closest maybe being personal accomplishments of skill and ability, such as beating Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja for the very first time last year (even going as far as to screenshot the result screen from that playthrough for posterity).

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, NY
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was my first game on my first console, portable or home. I had played stuff on PC before, and quite often, but Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was the first game where I could just spend hours and hours playing and trying to collect every little piece in it. It blew my mind, such a game existing and being in my hands. But then I got to the end of the game, where you have to fight the 6 billion forms of Dark Mind and Dark Meta Knight. I couldn't do it. I never managed to, and I had gotten my save file all the way to 97% completion by myself. I would pick up the game every once in a while through my life to try and beat it, but I never could. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is a shockingly difficult game, even more so to someone like me who isn't very good at games in general.
I took that game with me everywhere, it was even one of the few games I took with me to college.
When I was first getting to know my boyfriend that I now live with and plan to marry, we marathoned Kirby Super Star until 8 in the morning a couple nights in a row, and beat most of the game, only the arena was left. I mentioned not being able to beat Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and he suggested that he could beat that final boss for me since for some reason, over 10 years later, it was still kicking my ass every attempt. So I dug it out of my drawer of safe keeping and brought it over when I remembered.
I cuddled up to him on the couch and watched him get through the boss with relative ease, and was elated when he beat the final one. The game was only at 98% though, to which I expressed my confusion with because surely beating the final boss with like 8 different stages would consitute more than just 1%, right? He then clued me in on the secret of how to find the remaining treasures, and also how to actually read the map in the game, since it wasn't very standard, being more like a flow chart than a map. I took the game back and he guided me to where those last couple treasures were, and finally the game was 100%'d, after over 10 years of sitting at well over 90%. It still feels surreal, knowing that it's finally done.

Sorry for how rambly that was, I'm not that great with words, and I just like sharing my Amazing Mirror 100% file because it's my most prized save file and one of my nicest memories in life.

My boyfriend is also on Era, so if he happens to see this-- :wave: ♥ If only I could do something in a game you couldn't, besides break Super Star with bomb Kirby.

I lov u kirby and the amazing mirror save file ur the only save file I need