Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Only top 5? That's easy!
  1. Majora's Mask
  2. Oracle of Ages
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Link's Awakening
  5. The Minish Cap
Honorable mention to The Wind Waker. It usually makes it into top 5 instead of TMC, but not today.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
1)Majora's Mask
2)A Link To the Past
3)Ocarina of Time
4)Link's Awakening
5)???

Most hated: Skyward Sword

Not classified: BOTW

DarknessTear

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Twilight Princess
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Majora's Mask
Minish Cap
Link Between Worlds
The Wind Waker

And my least favorite Zelda out of these is still a great game to me. Expressive link is <3.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
1. Breath of the Wild - Best story, best game play.
2. Hyrule Warriors - Insane story and game play that's taken up about 100 hours of my time .
3. Ocarina of Time - Ground breaking and memorable.
4. A Link to the Past - The very first game I beat on my SNES. It taught me what adventure games should be.
5. Wind Waker - A zelda game that embraces fun in all aspects.

Eskimo Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Boston, MA
1. Breath of the Wild - This game was a hell of an experience. I felt like I was on an actual journey.
2. Ocarina of Time - First Zelda game I'd ever beaten! I'll still pop in my old N64 cart and do a playthrough every few years or so.
3. A Link to the Past - Admittedly, I've only played this for the first time on my 3DS about a year ago. A lot of fun!
4. Skyward Sword - I loved the gameplay, the story, and the music in this game!!
5. The Wind Waker - Loved the art style in the game. And Link was super expressive and charming here!

LeadenStride

Oct 25, 2017
1. Majora's Mask. Side quests have always been my favorite part of Zelda and MM has them in abundance and they're quite memorable as well. Although there are only few proper dungeons, I'm very fond of their complexity end excecution. The darker atmosphere and themes along with the unique time managing system makes it also the most characteristic entry in the franchise. I listen to the soundtrack quite often too.

2. Ocarina of Time. The perfect balance between challenging dungeons and engaging side quests. Also the go to version of the basic cycling story. Never gets old. Not much else that needs to be said.

3. Link's Awakening. Ever since playing the DX version shortly after its launch, LA has been the king of 2D Zeldas in my book. It's a joy to explore the compactly built overworld little by little. Once again it's also the unique story that makes this title stand out. Then there's Eagle's Tower which absolutely floored me back then and still holds up amazingly well.

4. A Link to the Past. It's especially the very diverse variety of dungeons that make me hold ALttP in high regard. But there are also a lot of quirks in the overworld, which gives the game sort of a fuzzy feeling that hasn't been imitated since.

5. A Link Between Worlds. While the puzzles aren't exactly complex, the newly introduced mechanics blew a lot of fresh air into the franchise. Highly enjoyable from beginning to the end.

I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, but I'm pretty sure that it would fit my tastes rather well. Can't see it knocking down the top 2 though.

Ryyjad

Oct 25, 2017
1. A Link to the Past
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Skyward Sword

Just my top 5

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I should add that to the controversial gaming opinion thread. LA's two-button interface makes it almost no fun at all.
That's Not right dude. The game's dungeon design, music, and unique characters pushed this to the top for me. Gameplay controls were definitely simple compared to future iterations but that's because of the hardware it was built on.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
  5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  9. The Legend of Zelda
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Phatom Hourglass
The Top 5 was really leaving a mark on myself as a gamer. Haven't played Spirit Tracks yet, which seems to be quite bad, so I will likely pass on it after the mediocre Phantom Hourglass. I'm also planning on playing The Minish Cap at some point, as well as A Link between Worlds(in case you wondered why the two games aren't on my list), which both seem to be quite stellar. I only played a bit of Zelda II back when it was "fresh" but haven't come around to finishing it, it was quite hard for me at that time as I was still a child, might try it at one point I still have my NES with the game hanging around here.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer, I've yet to play BotW.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. A Link to the Past
4. Link's Awakening
5. Majora's Mask

Oct 27, 2017
1. Majoras Mask
2. Twilight Princess
3. Wind Waker
4. OoT
5. BoTW/Skyward Sword

I am really surprised BOTW ranks so high here, considering its the Zelda that feels the least like a Zelda game in terms of dungeons, story and progression. Does that mean people are tired of classic Zelda? Because I am not. I hope to see classic dungeons and a engaging storyline back in the next Zelda game.

Last edited:

Plok64

Oct 27, 2017
1. Majora's Mask
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
4. A Link to the Past
5. Twilight Princess

Picking between 1 and 2 was pretty difficult. Breath of the Wild is definitely superior when it comes to gameplay but the atmosphere and themes of Majora's Mask are extremely memorable for me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Top 5? Ez Pz.

1) A Link to the Past
2) Breath of the Wild
3) Ocarina of Time
4) Link's Awakening
5) Minish Cap

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Haven't played BOTW yet

1. Majora's Mask
2. A Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Wind Waker
5. Twilight Princess

Bobo Dakes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Breath of the Wild
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. Not too sure I can go back and enjoy previous entries anymore.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Of the ones I've played:
1. OOT
2. MM
3. WW
4. BOTW
5. TP
6. SS

I'll explain since I know I'll get questioned. BOTW was a solid game ruined for me by questionable design decisions including weapon degradation, rain, low stamina, and for me, little sense of progress. The lack of a strong narrative reduced my motivation to play, and after 40 hours I felt I had accomplished little. The shrines were generally too samey, and the triumph of getting the Master Sword was tainted by the same stupid durability mechanic that had soured combat for me the entire game, making me opt to run past the majority of encounters to preserve my weapons.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
1: BOTW
-Flawed and lacking as it is, the sense of adventure is above and beyond anything before. Talk about a single piece elevating the whole. Just thinking about all the ways a sequel could improve on it makes me giddy.

2: Wind Waker
- Just so good. Arguably the best of the "classic" 3D zelda games.

3: Ocarina
- Just a bit dated compared to wind waker. If Nintendo ever remasters the Zeldas for Switch, a higher res version of the 3DS remaster might just edge out WW. Maybe.

I still need to play MM.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Having played everything except Phantom Hourglass and the spinoffs/non-canon games:

1.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) Ocarina of Time
3.) Breath of the Wild
4.) A Link Between Worlds
5.) Adventure of Link

J-Shy

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Sure these are always fun. I've completed every Zelda save for Zelda II, the Oracle games, and Triforce Heroes.

1 - Majoras Mask - The 3 day system, the apocalyptic atmosphere, the characters, it all comes together to create an atmosphere I simply have never experienced with another game, and perhaps never will. Playing Majoras Mask has always left me with a special feeling due to how unique it all is. Also I love its dungeons, think all except for Woodfall are some of the best dungeons in the series.

2 - Breath of the Wild - So much to love about this, but what really makes Breath of the Wild for me is how well it immerses you into the Zelda world. Death mountain has never felt so overwhelming and difficult to climb, Zora's Domain in being grand and majestic, the Lost Woods in being mysterious and otherworldly, and Hyrule Castle might be my favorite area to explore of the whole series. There's just such a great satisfaction to exploring and learning about every part of the magical world created in Breath of the Wild, and I'll never forget it.

3 - A Link Between Worlds - The wall mechanic, ability to rent and explore the world and its dungeons however you want, a fun easy to get around world, and one of my favorite stories in the series due to its surprisingly satisfying ending, A Link Between Worlds was a blast from start to finish, and I never got tired of it.

4 - A Link to the Past - Always felt that A Link to the Past is the core of Zelda. Great dungeons that still hold up to this day, a variety of fun items, an exciting overworld, I'm always amazed at how much fun I have with this when I revisit it considering how old it is.

5 - The Wind Waker - I view Wind Waker as a lesser Breath of the Wild. Standout overworld with an incredible atmosphere, a satisfying combat system, beautiful look, with dungeons being the weakest part (though I loved the dungeons of BotW). Wind Waker also had a great story and set of characters, and it's one I always enjoy coming back to.

SpokkX

Oct 27, 2017
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Ocarina of time
3. A Link to the Past
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. The Wind Waker

I have played every single Zelda game and REALLY excited where the series goes now with a new amazing template (Botw)

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
CT
1) A Link to the Past
2) Link's Awakening/DX
3) Oracle of Ages/Seasons
4) The Legend of Zelda
5) Ocarina of Time

Yes. I have played Majora's Mask, A Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
1. A Link to the Past
2. Link's Awakening
3. The Wind Waker
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Minish Cap

Haven't played Ocarina of Time and any Zeldas after Twilight Princess.

Juup

Oct 27, 2017
1. Ocarina of Time - It's a perfect concept that is executed so, so well.
2. Majora's Mask - The atmosphere is like nothing else, the world feels very alive, but just slightly less consistently perfected as OoT.
3. A Link Between Worlds - This game doesn't waste any of your time. Very replayable, too.
4. Wind Waker - Very charming, even though it is not a perfect game.
5. Breath of the Wild - I'm still not sure where I put this in my Zelda rankings, but I'll suppose I'll include it in my top 5 for now.

And for the record, I've played all main Zelda games.

TheDylantula

Oct 25, 2017
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Wind Waker (HD specifically)
3. A Link Between Worlds (the only 2D Zelda I've completed to date)
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Skyward Sword (mediocre gameplay, sure, but oml the story and dungeon design is unparalleled by any other Zelda)

inner-G

Oct 27, 2017
PNW
1. The Legend of Zelda
2. A Link to the Past
3. Breath of the Wild
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. Ocarina of Time

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: the first video game I ever beat all the way back in 1987 and I still play through it about once per year

2. Breath of the Wild: put in 105+ hours and couldn’t stop playing until I had found and beaten every last shrine; I was so happy to be able to explore freely in a Zelda game again after the suffocation of more recent 3D Zelda’s

3. A Link to the Past: hopping back and forth between the light and dark worlds was a mind trip back in 1992; still the best lightning in a game IMO

4. Ocarina of Time: I’ll never forget Ganondorf was doing in and out of those paintings and the music from the Lost Woods

5. Adventure of Link: I actually beat this in the week after Christmas in 1988 and now look back fondly on a time when I was actually pretty good at games

Last edited:

JasoNsider

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thread just gives me such heartwarming memories of the games in this series. There is no other series like it at all.

1) Breath of the Wild
2) A Link to the Past
3) A Link Between Worlds
4) Legend of Zelda OG
5) Ocarina of time.

I know Breath of the Wild is so recent, but I have such vivid, amazing memories of being in a magical place.
2 - Breath of the Wild - So much to love about this, but what really makes Breath of the Wild for me is how well it immerses you into the Zelda world. Death mountain has never felt so overwhelming and difficult to climb, Zora's Domain in being grand and majestic, the Lost Woods in being mysterious and otherworldly, and Hyrule Castle might be my favorite area to explore of the whole series. There's just such a great satisfaction to exploring and learning about every part of the magical world created in Breath of the Wild, and I'll never forget it.
This is a great description and how I think about it in my head. Just an incredibly rich, inspiring world.

dmaul1114

Oct 26, 2017
1. Ocarina of Time
2. A Link to the Past
3. Majora’s Mask
4. Twilight Princess
5. Breath of the Wild

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
From the ones I'd finished:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Wind Waker
4. Skyward Sword
5. Ocarina of Time
6. A Link to the Past

TP was the first one I played start to finish, I'd only played parts of Ocarina before that, so that might be why it's my favorite.

Last edited:

YN12

Oct 27, 2017
1. Breath of the Wild - its not difficult to see why. Great story, world, exploration, art. The complete package in my opinion.
2. Skyward Sword - my favourite Zelda until botw. Great use of motion control, great story, great NPCs, really a breath of fresh air.
3. Ocarina of Time - I like the game but cant play it anymore like I used to. Looks really dated now. Great game for its time, not so much nowadays. The WiiU VC version somehow lessen the dated graphics.
4. Wind Waker - I love the art and the world. The HD version is even better. I wish they made another game with the same engine. I enjoyed the DS games as they were kind of sequels to WW.
5. Twilight Princess - I have the GC version and also the HD remaster. It’s a good game but feels too scripted compared to WW, SS and BOTW. It’s basically OOT HD. I dont like how closely they stuck the OOT model, especially since WW had been so different.

Last edited:

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Legend of Zelda 4: Links awakening
2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
3. Legend of Zelda 1
4. Legend of Zelda 3: Link to the past
5. Legend of Zelda: Wind waker

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
1. Majora's Mask
2. BoTW
3. Wind Waker
4. Link's Awakening DX
5. Oracale of Seasons

This was what my gut was telling me. Im sure it could change if I thought about it more. But the top two wouldn't change. MM and BoTW represent two halves of one great Zelda coin. Sort of the Ying to the other's Yang. Both of those together represent the best of everything Zelda has to offer, while being completely unique. I just wish we could get a game that too the best elements from each and put it in to one game.

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add mine later but just wanted to say.

Does anyone already have a surveymonkey account or similar polling site that could create a ranking poll for this? It would be awesome to see ERA's weighed results instead of just pages and pages of rankings in different orders.

If no one does, I'll try to set up one tomorrow when I'm on the PC and maybe OP can edit his post if he wants Dwebble

Oct 27, 2017
Ill go further and rank all of them!
For me (in order of best to least best) its :
1)The Wind Waker(My first zelda game i fully played thru ,its the most special to me as it captured the spirit of adventure)
2)Breath of the Wild (I think its the better zelda game than WW but nostalgia)
3)A Link Between Worlds(I fully enjoyed this game ,the dungeons were plain fun and the painting mechanic is clever)
4)The Minish Cap(imo the most under-mentioned zelda game ,the shirking mechanic was really cool)
5) Twilight Princess(captures the cinematic aspect of zelda the best ,i dislike the tear sections and how Zant was treated at the end and but i loved everthing else ,especially the dungeons)
6) Skyward Sword(i really enjoyed the motion controls alot , flying the loftwing was really fun (sadly the sky is kinda empty) ,but the dungeons are amazing and i like Gihrahim alot)
7) Spirit Tracks ( The music in this game is underrated ,espeically the overwolrd theme , the only reason its not where minish cap is cuz i thin vaati is the better villain)
8) A Link to the Past ( while not my fave 2d Zelda game ,it really sets the bar of what classic 2D zelda was. Prefer ALBW cuz i dislike some of the dungeons AND MOLDORM)

9)Ocarina of Time (not my fave 3D game but like ALTTP it set the bar of what a 3D zelda game be and still plays great till this day)
10)Majora's Mask( i really liked the story and gameplay ,the only reason its below OOT is that i get anxious with games that have time limits so it impeded my enjoyment a bit )
11)Oracle of Seasons/Ages(only played a bit so i dont have the strongets opinion)
12)Link's Awakening(ditto)
13)Four Swords Anniversary( based on the single player ,its a bit eh but it really shines on Multiplayer. The music isnt that great to me tho)
14)The Legend of Zelda ( A game that is good but has aged alot in terms of controls to me ,and i know people like how directionless it is ,but to me its too vague)
15)Zelda II : The Adventure of Link (Heavily disliked it)

The only Zelda game i actually dislike and hate is Zelda 2

Ive never played Four Sword adventures,Phantom Hourglass or triforce heroes

Ive completed all the ones ive played except the Oracles games,zelda 1 ,2 and Links Awakening

Depending on my mood Breath of the Wild and the Wind Waker switches places and so does Majoras mask and Ocarina of time

Last edited:

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt that impressed with BotW tbh. Yes the overworld is wonderful, but lacking in other areas. But thats a thread for another discussion.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
  1. A Link to the Past
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. A Link Between Worlds
  4. Breath of the Wild
  5. Link's Awakening
The only one that I haven't played yet is Skyward Sword, hoping for a Switch port / VC release someday...

Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening DX cause it's super memorable with a very well put together overworld.

Oracle of Ages because I loved exploring both times fully.

Oracle of Ages because of all the small changes from season to season.

Minish Cap for having the best use of every area -- there was always just so much.

Original Link's Awakening

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Top 5:
  1. Link to the Past
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. Ocarina of Time
  4. Link Between Worlds
  5. Wind Waker
Such an amazing series. LttP is the one that I return to often and I've lost count how many times I've completed it.